Anjou Cavalerie

From Project WSS
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: War of the Spanish Succession (Main Page) >> Armies >> French Army >> Anjou Cavalerie

Origin and History

The regiment was among the 37 regiments raised at the death of Philip IV of Spain on 7 December 1665, when Louis XIV resolved to renew his claims on Flanders, Artois and Hainaut. It was raised by M. Baleroy de Choisy and completed by 15 January 1667.

At the beginning of 1668, the four companies of the regiment was garrisoning Douai. On 24 May, it was disbanded.

On 9 August 1671, M. de Baleroy was authorised to re-establish his regiment.

In 1672, at the beginning of the Franco-Dutch War (1672-78), the regiment took part in all the sieges of the campaign; in 1674, in the Battle of Seneffe, where its mestre de camp was killed; in 1677, in the Battle of Cassel and in the capture of Saint-Omer; in 1678, in an engagement near Kehl, in the Battle of Kockersberg and in the covering of the siege of Freiburg; and in 1678, in the combats of Neuburg, Rheinfeld and Gegensbach, and in the siege of Kehl.

On 8 August 1679, the regiment was once more disbanded, with the exception of its mestre de camp company. On 15 January 1684, was definitively re-established. The same year, it took part in the siege of Luxembourg. In 1685, it was at the camp of the Saône.

On 20 March 1688, the regiment was given to the second grandson of Louis XIV, Philippe d'Anjou, and renamed “Anjou Cavalerie”.

In 1689, during the Nine Years' War (1688-97), the regiment took part in the conquest of Palatinate. In 1691, it campaigned in Italy. From 1692, it campaigned in Flanders and fought in the Battle of Steenkerque.

At the beginning of the War of the Spanish Succession, the regiment counted two squadrons.

During the War of the Spanish Succession, the regiment was under the nominal command of the Philippe Duc d'Anjou.

During the War of the Spanish Succession, the successive mestres de camp of the regiment were:

  • from 5 December 1696: Comte d’Auroy
  • from 1 May 1704: Jacques de Chabannes, Marquis de Curton
  • from 23 March 1707: François-Philippe Marquis d’Escorailles
  • from December 1712 to 1719: N. Le Tellier, Marquis de Louvois

Service during the War

In 1701, the regiment served was sent to Italy. On 1 September, it took part in the Battle of Chiari, where it was deployed in Narbonne's Brigade, in the second line of the cavalry left wing.

On 26 July 1702, the regiment fought in the Combat of Santa Vittoria. On 15 August, it took fought in the Battle of Luzzara. It then took part in the capture of Luzzara and Borgoforte.

From July to September 1703, the regiment took part in the offensive in South Tyrol. It formed part of the corps destined to make a junction with the Bavarian Army, but the plan failed. At the end of September, it was at San Benedetto, when French troops forced their wavering Savoyard allies to deposit arms and to surrender as prisoners of war. By the end of November, the regiment was stationed in the vicinity of Montechiaro d'Asti.

In January 1704, the regiment was in winter-quarters in Montechiaro, in Piedmont. In June and July, it was at the Siege of Vercelli. In August and September, it was present at the Siege of Ivrea. From October, it took part in the Siege of Verrua.

On 16 August 1705, the regiment took part in the Battle of Cassano.

On 19 April 1706, the regiment took part in the Battle of Calcinato. From May to September, it was present at the Siege of Turin.

In 1707, the regiment was transferred to Spain. From September to November, it covered the Siege of Lleida.

In June and July 1708, the regiment was present at the Siege of Tortosa.

In 1710, the regiment recrossed the Pyrenees to serve in Dauphiné.

In March 1711, the regiment formed part of the army of the Duc de Noailles, and was in its winter-quarters in Ampurdán (present-day Empordà) in Catalonia. At the beginning of June, the Lieutenant-General Comte Muret was ordered to cross the Pyrenees with the French troops who had taken their winter-quarters in Ampurdán and Roussillon and to march by way of Puigcerda to Lérida, where they should make a junction with Vendôme's Army.

In 1713, the regiment took part in the Siege of Barcelona.

Uniform

no information found

Standards

Regimental standards (4 silken standards): royal blue field fringed and embroidered in gold

  • obverse: centre device consisting of a golden royal sun surmounted by a scroll bearing the royal motto “Nec Pluribus Impar” in gold; one golden fleur de lys in each corner
  • reverse: sown with fleurs de lys; in each corner a “Prince de France” crown with an escutcheon charged with 3 fleurs de lys
Tentative Reconstruction
Regimental Standard - Copyright: Kronoskaf

References

This article incorporates texts from the following books which are now in the public domain:

  • Susane, Louis: Histoire de la cavalerie française, Vol. 2, J. Hetzel et Cie, Paris, 1874, pp. 207-215
  • Pajol, Charles P. V.: Les Guerres sous Louis XV, vol. VII, Paris, 1891, p. 351

Other sources

Funcken, L. and F., Les uniformes de la guerre en dentelle

N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.