Aughrim Cavalry

From Project WSS
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: War of the Spanish Succession (Main Page) >> Armies >> Dutch Army >> Aughrim Cavalry

Origin and History

The regiment was raised on 19 March 1671 for Zeger van Rechteren, Baron van Almelo. The proprietor had had a previous cavalry regiment from October 1665, but it had been disbanded in November 1668.

In 1700, one squadron (3 companies) of the regiment took part in the campaign in Schleswig-Holstein.

On the eve of the War of the Spanish Succession, the regiment consisted of two squadrons and belonged to the Provinces of Geldern.

Since its creation, the successive colonels of the regiment were:

  • from 19 March 1671: Zeger van Rechteren, Lord van Almelo
  • from 20 March 1674: Johann Albrecht Count van Schellaert Lord van Doorwerth
  • from 3 October 1683: Frederik Willem Baron de Heyden
  • from 23 September 1690: Hendrik Baron van Ittersum tot Nieuwenhuys
  • from 4 September 1696: Frederik Christiaan van Reede, Baron van Aughrim (became Count van Athlone in 1703)
  • from 11 February 1703 to 15 August 1718: Brigadier Regiment Frederik Christiaan van Reede, Count van Athlone (promoted to major-general in 1704, and to lieutenant-general in 1709, died on 15 August 1719)

During the War of the Spanish Succession, the successive commanders of the regiment were:

  • from 28 April 1704 to 10 October 1715: Johann Willem Vincent, Baron van Wittenhorst (promoted to brigadier in 1709)

In 1795, the regiment was incorporated into the 2e Regiment Zware Cavalerie.

Service during the War

In July 1702, the regiment was at the camp of Dukenburg, near Nijmegen. It was attached to Hessen-Homburg’s Brigade posted in the second line of the left wing. In December, it took up its winter-quarters in Susteren.

In 1703, the regiment took up its winter-quarters in Thielen.

By 1705, the regiment (343 men) consisted of:

  • a regimental staff (19 men)
    • 1 colonel
    • 1 lieutenant-colonel
    • 1 major
    • 1 lieutenant-captain
    • 1 auditor
    • 1 regimental quartermaster
    • 1 chaplain
    • 1 adjutant
    • 1 regimental surgeon
    • 1 kettle-drummer
    • 6 oboists
    • 1 provost
    • 1 servant
    • 1 wagon master
  • 2 squadrons, each of:
    • 3 companies of 54 men each, more precisely
      • 1 captain
      • 1 lieutenant
      • 1 cornet
      • 1 quartermaster
      • 2 trumpeters
      • 1 clerk
      • 3 corporals
      • 1 solicitor
    • 43 troopers

In 1705, the regiment was at the camp of Lens. It took part in the combat of the Lines of Oostmaler.

On 23 May 1706, the regiment fought in the Battle of Ramillies.

In 1707, the regiment campaigned in Flanders.

On 11 July 1708, the regiment took part in the Battle of Oudenarde. It was also present at the siege and capture of Lille. On 28 September, it was at the Engagement of Wijnendale.

On 11 September 1709, the regiment took part in the Battle of Malplaquet.

From 23 April to 26 June 1710, the regiment was present at the siege and capture of Douai.

Uniform

Troopers

Uniform circa 1690 - Copyright: Richard Couture
Uniform Details circa 1690 as per de Wilde and Belaubre
Headgear black felt hat without lace
Neck stock black silk
Coat white with blue lining and with copper buttons from top to bottom on the right side
Collar none
Shoulder Straps none
Lapels none
Pockets horizontal pockets, each with 3 copper buttons
Cuffs blue, each with 3 copper buttons
Turnbacks none (it seems that the basques of the coat could be turned back if needed but this was a rare practice during this period)
Waistcoat "no information found"
Breeches leather
Leather Equipment
Crossbelt natural leather
Waistbelt natural leather, worn above the coat
Cartridge Pouch "no information found"
Scabbard natural leather
Footwear black boots
Horse Furniture
Saddlecloth red
Housings red
Blanket roll white


Troopers were armed with a sword, a pistol and a carbine.

NCOs

no information found yet

Officers

Officers wore a uniform similar to the one of the rank and file but of a better quality.

Musicians

Trumpeters wore red uniforms.

Standards

The standards of the regiment were blue with a white and blue fringe. The centre device represented a white armoured arm carrying a sword, coming out of a cloud. The motto ‘DEUS VEXILLUM MEUM Exod 17.V.IX” was also written on a scroll.

Regimental Standard in 1696 - Copyright: Kronoskaf
Squadron Standard in 1696 - Copyright: Kronoskaf

References

Belaubre, Jean and Dr. de Wilde, Claus-Peter Golberg, Kaltenkirchen, 2001, p. 20

Tessin, Georg: Die Regimenter der europäischen Staaten im Ancién Regime des XVI. bis XVIII. Jahrhunderts. Part 1. Die Stammlisten, Osnabrück 1986

Hofkriegsrat Blogspot

N.B.: the section Service during the War is partly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.

Acknowledgement

Phil Carrington for his work on the lineage of Dutch regiments

Mathias Kussmann for the initial version of the article