Origin and History
The regiment was created on 4 October 1692 and given to the Comte de Vaussieux. It took the name of the region of Auxerrois.
From 1693, during the Nine Years’ War (1688-97), the regiment served on the coasts and in Germany until the end of the war.
During the War of the Spanish Succession, the regiment was commanded by
- from 4 October 1692: Comte de Vaussieux
- from 1702: N. d’Amfreville
- from 1709 to 21 September 1716: Louis-Henri d’Harcourt, Comte de Beuvron.
On 10 February 1749, the regiment was disbanded. Its grenadiers were incorporated in the Grenadiers the France and its other companies in Flandre Infanterie.
Service during the War
In July 1701, the regiment formed part of a corps posted in the Spanish Netherlands from Aarschot along the Demer and the Geete up to Lierre. By October, it was at the camp of Argenteau. It took up its winter-quarters at Spa and Sart.
At the end of February 1702, the second battalion was sent to the Electorate of Cologne. It was later posted at Fort-Louis in Alsace and, by the end of April, had joined the Army of the Rhine. In September, the second battalions joined Villars’ Army destined to Bavaria. Its first battalion took up its winter-quarters at Rheinberg.
In June 1703, the fist battalion served under Bedmar in the Spanish Netherlands. In August and September 1703, the second battalion took part in the Siege of Alt-Breisach. By October, the first battalion was posted on the Moselle. In October and November, the second battalion was at the Siege of Landau.
In 1704, the regiment was allocated to the Army of Bavaria. On 13 August, it fought in the disastrous Battle of Blenheim.
From 1705 to 1708, the regiment was allocated to the Army of the Rhine. It was then transferred to Flanders in preparation for the expedition against Scotland.
From 1709 to 1712, the regiment was employed in the Lines of the Lauter.
In 1713, the regiment took part in the sieges and capture of Landau and Freiburg.
This article incorporates texts from the following books which are now in the public domain:
- Susane, Louis: Histoire de l'ancienne infanterie française, J. Corréard, Paris, 1849-1856, Tome 8, pp. 270-271