Origin and History
The regiment was raised in 1688, during the Nine Years’ War (1688-1697), by Colonel Euno Josua Baron von Bülow. It initially consisted of six companies. In 1689, it served on the Rhine. In 1690, it was sent to the Netherlands. In 1691 and 1692, it remained in Hanover. In 1692, it contributed two companies to the creation of a new regiment which was sent to Hungary. After their return from Hungary these two companies were reintegrated into their former regiment. In 1693, the regiment was sent to Brabant where it took part in the Battle of Landen. In later took part in the sieges of Huy and Namur.
In 1700, the regiment took part in the campaign against the Danes in Holstein.
During the War of the Spanish Succession, the successive regimental Chefs were:
- from 1688 to 1733: Colonel Cuno Josua, Baron von Bülow (died on 27 July 1733 as field-marshal)
Service during the War
In 1703, the regiment took part in the Siege of Bonn and in the capture of Limbourg.
From May 1704, the regiment took part in Marlborough's march to the Danube. On 13 August, it fought in the Battle of Blenheim where it distinguished itself, capturing many colours and standards. It then returned to the Netherlands.
On 18 July 1705, the regiment took part to the passage of the French lines at Elixheim.
On 23 May 1706, the regiment took part in the Battle of Ramillies. In September, it was at the siege of Ath.
On 11 July 1708, the regiment took part in the Battle of Oudenarde where formed part of the corps of Count von Ranzow who drove back column of enemy cavalry. During the pursuit, this corps was attacked and its first line was already giving way when the Elector of Hanover took the lead of the regiment and charged the enemy. In the ensuing melee, the elector had his horse shot under him. Meanwhile, Ranzow rallied his corps and completely defeated the enemy. From August to December, it participated in the siege of Lille.
From July to September 1709, the regiment took part in the siege of Tournai. On 11 September, it took part in the Battle of Malplaquet where it distinguished itself, capturing four standards.
The uniform of the regiment consisted of a white coat lined dark blue with dark blue lapels and cuffs, a dark blue waistcoat and yellow metal.
no information found
This article incorporates texts and images from the following books, which are now in the public domain:
- Wissel, Friedrich v. and Georg von Wissel: Geschichte der Errichtung sämmtlicher Chur-Braunschweig-Lüneburgischen Truppen, sammt ihren Fahnen, Standarten und Pauken-Devisen ..., Zelle, 1786, pp. 215-222
- Reitzenstein, Johann Freiherrn von: Die Uniformbilder in der Armee-Ehrenhalle des Vaterländischen Museum in Celle