Origin and History
On 1 May 1703, the Elector of Palatinate took the Battalion Haxthausen-Paderborn of the Prince-Bishop of Münster in Palatine pay. The battalion was supposed to have 1,280 men, but never reached that number.
On 15 April 1704, the battalion joined the Palatine Contingent in Imperial pay.
During the War of the Spanish Succession, the Chef of the battalion was:
- from 1 May 1703: Colonel Johann Friedrich Konrad von Haxthausen-Welda
During the War of the Spanish Succession, the commander of the battalion was:
- from 1703 until end of the campaigns of 1713: Colonel Haxthausen-Welda
In 1713, the battalion was returned to its original owner, the Prince-Bishop of Münster.
Service during the War
In 1703, the battalion was sent to the Lines of Stollhofen.
In January 1704, the battalion (only 285 men fit for service!) was still in the Lines of Stollhofen. On 15 April, the battalion joined the Palatine Contingent in Imperial pay. From September to November, during the Siege of Landau, the battalion secured the headquarters of the army at Arzheim. It took up its winter-quarters in the County of Zweibrücken.
Since the beginning of 1705, the battalion (now 500 men) was once more posted in the Lines of Stollhofen. From the middle of the year, it garrisoned Trarbach, where it remained until end of the year.
In 1706, the battalion garrisoned Trarbach.
There is no informations available for 1708, but the battalion most probably garrisoned Trarbach.
In 1709, the battalion, along with three other Palatine battalions, was made available by the Elector o the Maritime Powers (Dutch Republic and Great Britain), who had to supply the necessary provisions. For these troops, the Elector received a subsidy of 60,000 Reichstaler until 1712.
On 7 June, the battalion left its winter-quarter and marched to the Meuse River, arriving at the camp of Prince Eugène's Army after 22 June. From July to September, the battalion then took part in the Siege of Tournai. From 25 September to 20 October, it was at the Siege of Mons.
On 26 October, the battalion marched through Hesse towards its winter-quarters in the County of Neuburg-Sulzbach.
In 1710, the battalion was most probably part of the detachment (4 bns, 6 sqns) under G.d.C. Vehlen, which joined the main army on 31 May. In July and August, this detachment secured the extreme right wing of the army near Pont-á-Vendin during the Siege of Béthune.
In August, the battalion remained at the camp of Villers-Brulin.
On 14 November, the Allied army took up to its winter-quarters, the battalion went to the County of Jülich-Berg.
In 1711, the battalion was once more allocated to the detachment of G.d.C. Vehlen. In May, Vehlen's detachment escorted a supply convoy destined to the conquered fortresses along the Lys and the Deule rivers. On 17 May, the convoy reached Warneton without problems. Vehlen then marched by way of Lille and joined the main army on 24 May at a camp near Lewarde.
On 14 June, G.d.C. Vehlen left Orchies with his detachment and marched by way of Soignies, Wavre, Tirlemont, Maasticht, Düren and Jülich, to Koblenz. On 9 July, Vehlen crossed the Rhine at Koblenz.
From July, the battalion was posted behind the Lines of Weissenburg.
In mid-November, Allied troops took up their winter-quarters and the battalion went to the County of Jülich-Berg.
In 1712, the battalion formed part of the Palatine Contingent in Imperial pay, which joined the Reichsarmee. This army remained idle at Germersheim until September. The contingent then encamped between Graben and Linkenheim.
On 4 November. the Palatine Contingent took up its winter-quarters, but the precise quarters of the battalion are not known.
In 1713, the battalion was posted near Schrök (present-day part of Mannheim). In September, it was sent back to the Prince-Bishop of Münster.
|white with a red stripe
|dark blue with green lining and with copper buttons from top to bottom on the right side, one copper button on each side in the small of the back
|green with small copper buttons
Armaments consisted of a musket and a bayonet; and a sword.
NCOs wore uniforms similar to those of the rank and file but with the following distinctions:
- cuffs bordered with a yellow braid
- absence of the large ammunition pouch
Corporals and sergeant-majors carried a stick and a halberd or a pike.
Officers carried spontoons and had white and blue sashes.
The uniforms of the musicians were identical to those of the rank and file but decorated with lace.
no information found
Bezzel, O.: Geschichte des Kurpfälzischen Heeres, Bayrisches Kriegsarchiv, IV. File, part 1 and 2, Munich 1925
Weldaer Heimatblätter – Die Grundherrschaft in Welda
Harald Skala the initial version of this article