Battalion Westerwald-Dillenburg

From Project WSS
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: War of the Spanish Succession (Main Page) >> Armies >> Palatine Army >> Battalion Westerwald-Dillenburg

Origin and History

This battalion was taken in the service of Palatinate in 1702 as the contingent of the County of Westerwald (Kreiskontingent). It is also known as the "1st Kurpfälzisches Regiment".

Note: this unit is sometimes designated as "Nassau-Dillenburg", but this is wrong, because it was the name of a wholly different unit.

By 1705, the battalion remained in Palatine pay. However, on 22 March 1709, it was among the Palatine units placed in Imperial pay.

During the War of the Spanish Succession, the successive Chefs of the battalion were:

  • from 1702: unknown
  • from 1709: Major-General Johann Wilhelm Baron Efferen, called "Hall zum Busch"

During the War of the Spanish Succession, the successive commanders of the battalion were:

  • from 1702: unknown
  • from 1704: unknown
  • from 1712: Colonel Gruithuisen

The battalion was disbanded in Düsseldorf on 20 December 1713.

Service during the War

1703

In 1703, the battalion (253 men) was sent to the Lines of Stollhofen.

1704

By 19 May 1704, the battalion was among the Allied units concentrated at Rottweil to oppose the Bavarian Army.

By the end of July, the battalion was posted in the Lines of Stollhofen.

From September to November, during the Siege of Landau, the battalion secured the headquarters of the army at Arzheim. It took up its winter-quarters in the County of Zweibrücken.

1705

In 1705, the battalion garrisoned Düsseldorf.

1706-1707

In 1706 and 1707, the battalion garrisoned Düsseldorf and Jülich.

1708

On 3 February 1708, negotiations were initiated in Vienna to discuss the restitution of some territories to the Elector of Palatinate (these negotiations would last until May). On 19 February, as a result of these negotiations, Lieutenant-General Baron von Bettendorf was instructed to place a Palatine Contingent (including the present battalion) under the command of Field Marshal Thüngen if necessary.

1709

In 1709, the battalion, along with three other Palatine battalions, was made available by the Elector to the Maritime Powers (Dutch Republic and Great Britain), who had to supply the necessary provisions. For these troops, the Elector received a subsidy of 60,000 Reichstaler until 1712.

On 20 June, the battalion arrived at Ghent, where it received five companies from the disbanded II./Haxthausen Infantry, thus bringing its strength to 10 companies.

From June to August, the battalion took part in the Siege of Tournai and its citadel.

At the end of the year, Major-General Johann Wilhelm Baron Efferen appointed chef of the battalion, which was since this time called "Neu Efferen".

On 6 November, the battalion took up its winter-quarters.

1710

In July and August 1710, the battalion took part in the Siege of Béthune, where it was attached to Zobel's Brigade, in Vehlen's Division.

From September to November, the battalion took part in the Siege of Aire-sur-Lys.

1711

In 1711, the regiment (1,280 men in two battalions) was assigned to the "Neutralitätskorps" in Silesia. At the end of the year, the regiment was back to the Rhine.

1712

By 5 February 1712, the battalion was stationed in the County of Jülich. The battalion was then assigned to the Army of Flanders in Dutch/British pay.

On 1 May, the battalion (743 men fit for service) was reviewed at the camp of Zons. On 4 May, it marched towards Ghent. It then secured the ship transport of siege guns on the Scheldt by way of Tournai to Marchiennes.

In June and July, the battalion took part in the Siege of Le Quesnoy, where it was deployed in infantry division of Major-General Prince Holstein-Beck.

On 24 July, the battalion, which formed part of Lieutenant-General Albemarle's Corps, took part on the Battle of Denain, where it lost 6 officers and 150 men dead or missing.

From November, the battalion took up its winter-quarters in Villich.

1713

In 1713, the battalion was sent to Düsseldorf, where it was disbanded on 20 December.

Uniform

Privates

Uniform circa 1706 - Copyright Kronoskaf
Uniform Details as per Bezzel
Headgear
Fusilier fur cap
Grenadier no information found
Neck stock white with a red stripe
Coat dark blue (ash grey from 1708) with green lining and with copper buttons from top to bottom on the right side, one copper button on each side in the small of the back
Collar none
Shoulder Straps green aiguillette on the right shoulder
Lapels green
Pockets horizontal pockets, each with probably 3 copper buttons
Cuffs green, each with probably 3 copper buttons
Turnbacks none (it seems that the basques of the coat could be turned back if needed but this was a rare practice during this period)
Waistcoat green with small copper buttons
Breeches ash grey
Stockings white
Leather Equipment
Crossbelt buff leather
Waistbelt buff leather, worn above the coat
Cartridge Pouch buff leather
Bayonet Scabbard buff leather
Scabbard buff leather with brass tip
Footwear black shoes fastened with a strap


Armaments consisted of a musket and a bayonet; and a sword.

NCOs

NCOs wore uniforms similar to those of the rank and file but with the following distinctions:

  • cuffs bordered with a yellow braid
  • absence of the large ammunition pouch

Corporals and sergeant-majors carried a stick and a halberd or a pike.

Officers

Officers carried spontoons and had white and blue sashes.

Musicians

The uniforms of the musicians were identical to those of the rank and file but decorated with lace.

Colours

no information found

References

Bezzel, O.: Geschichte des Kurpfälzischen Heeres, Bayrisches Kriegsarchiv, IV. File, part 1 and 2, Munich 1925

N.B.: the section Service during the War is partly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.

Acknowledgement

Harald Skala the initial version of this article