Berwick (70)

From Project WSS
Revision as of 11:04, 30 June 2015 by RCouture (talk | contribs) (Created page with "<small>Hierarchical Path: War of the Spanish Succession (Main Page) >> Navies >> British Navy >> {{PAGENAME}}</small> ==Origin and His...")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: War of the Spanish Succession (Main Page) >> Navies >> British Navy >> Berwick (70)

Origin and History

The ship was originally built by Phineas Pett at Chatham Dockyard and launched in May 1679.

During the Nine Years' War (1688–97), on 10 July 1690, the ship took part in the Battle of Beachy Head. On 29 May 1692, she fought in the Battle of Barfleur and a few days later, on 4 June, in the Battle of La Hogue.

In February 1695, the ship was part of a squadron who escorted a convoy from Cádiz. On 19 March, she arrived at Spithead. In 1696, the ship was part of a squadron who escorted William III's Army to Ireland.

The ship underwent a rebuild from November 1697 by Edward Snelgrove at Deptford and was relaunched on 15 May 1700.

During the War of the Spanish Succession, the ship was under the command of:

  • in 1701: Captain John Leake
  • from 1702 to 1703: Captain Richard Edwards
  • in 1704: Captain Robert Fairfax
  • from 1705 to 1712: Captain Thomas Liell

The ship hulked in 1715 and broken up in 1723.

Service during the War

In August 1702, the ship was part of the powerful combined fleet assembled for the unsuccessful expedition against Cádiz. On its way home, this fleet captured the largest part of the plate-fleet in the Battle of Vigo Bay.

In 1703, the ship served in the Mediterranean.

In July 1704, the ship took part in the capture of Gibraltar. On 24 August, she fought in the Battle of Málaga.

In 1706 and 1707, the ship served in the Mediterranean.

From 1708 to 1710, the ship served in the Downs and the North Sea.

In May 1710, the ship sailed to Lisbon and then escorted a convoy going to Brazil. By December, she was back in the Mediterranean and, on 13 December, captured the Maure (50).

In 1711, the ship served in the Mediterranean.

In 1712, the ship served in the Channel.

Characteristics

The following characteristics are those after the rebuild of 1700.

Technical specifications
Guns 70
Lower gundeck 24 x 24-pdrs
Upper gundeck 26 x demi-culverins
Quarterdeck 12 x 6-pdrs
Forecastle 4 x 6-pdrs
Roundhouse 4 x 3-pdrs
Crew approx. 450 men
Length at gundeck 150 ft 9 in (45.95 m)
Width 40 ft 5 in (12.33 m)
Depth 16 ft 10 in (5.13 m)
Displacement 1090 Tons (Builder's Old Measurement)

References

Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy

Harrison, Simon and Manuel Blasco, Three Decks - Warships in the Age of Sail

Wikipedia

N.B.: the section Service during the War is partly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.