Origin and History
The regiment was formed in 1645. It was known as the Cell'sches Reiterregiment and was the oldest regiment of the army.
In 1666, the regiment took part in the relief of Bremen. In 1668, during the War of Devolution (1667-68), it assisted the Dutch.
In 1671, the regiment formed part of the force which captured the city of Braunschweig.
In 1673, during the Franco-Dutch War (1672-78), the regiment was encamped at Leese to oppose Turenne’s Army. In 1674, it marched to Alsace where it took part in the combat of Entzheim. In 1675, it was sent to the assistance of the Prince of Orange and fought in the Battle of Konzer Brücke. It then returned home and took part in the capture of Bremen and Stade.
In 1683, during the Great Turkish War, the regiment was sent to the relief of Vienna. In 1684, it continued to serve against the Turks and took part in the siege of Ofen. In 1685, it was at the siege of Neuheusel and at the Battle of Gran; in 1686, in the second siege of Ofen; and in 1687, at the Battle of Mohacs.
In 1688, during the Nine Years’ War (1688-1697), the regiment marched back to the Rhine. In 1689, it took part in the capture of Mainz and Bonn. In 1690, it was transferred to the Netherlands and fought in the sanguinary Battle of Fleurus. In 1692, it was at the bombardment of Namur. In 1693, it took part in the Battle of Landen. In 1695, it was at the capture of Namur.
In 1700, the regiment took part in the campaign against the Danes in Holstein.
In 1705, at the death of Duke Georg Wilhelm of Celle, the regiment was incorporated into the Hanoverian Army.
During the War of the Spanish Succession, the successive regimental Inhabers were:
- from 1693: FZM Antoine-Charles de Simons, Marquis von Boisdavid
- from 1705 to 1729: Colonel Amaury de Farcy de Saint-Laurent (died in 1729 as lieutenant-general)
Service during the War
On 23 May 1706, the regiment took part in the Battle of Ramillies.
On 11 July 1708, the regiment took part in the Battle of Oudenarde.
On 11 September 1709, the regiment took part in the Battle of Malplaquet.
The uniform of the regiment consisted of a white coat with red distinctive, a red waistcoat and gold metal.
no information found
This article incorporates texts from the following books which are now in the public domain:
- Wissel, Friedrich v. and Georg von Wissel: Geschichte der Errichtung sämmtlicher Chur-Braunschweig-Lüneburgischen Truppen, sammt ihren Fahnen, Standarten und Pauken-Devisen ..., Zelle, 1786, pp. 103-116