Origin and History
The regiment was raised in 1689, during the Nine Years’ War (1688-1697), by Major Horn. It initially consisted of four companies in two squadrons. The same year, it campaigned against the French on the Rhine. In 1690, Lieutenant-Colonel Friedrich Johann Count von Bothmer was appointed commandant of the regiment which was sent to Brabant where it would campaign until 1697. In 1690, the regiment fought in the Battle of Fleurus. In 1691, a squadron of “Leib-Grenadier” was added to the regiment. In 1692, a fourth squadron was raised. The same year, the regiment took part in the Battle of Steenkerque. At the end of the war, in 1697, two companies were disbanded, reducing the regiment to three squadrons.
In 1700, the regiment took part in the campaign against the Danes in Holstein.
In 1705, at the death of Duke Georg Wilhelm of Celle, the regiment was incorporated into the Hanoverian Army.
During the War of the Spanish Succession, the successive regimental Chefs were:
- from 1693: Colonel Friedrich Johann Count von Bothmer (died on 9 March 1729 as lieutenant-general and ambassador at the Danish court)
Service during the War
In 1702, the regiment was re-established at four squadrons. In the night of 19 to 20 March 1702, the regiment along with Villers Dragoons suddenly marched on Schöningen and Königslutter in the Duchy of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel; while Hanoverian regiments advanced on Seesen and Weser in the neighbourhood of Wolfenbüttel. Furthermore the Hanoverian General Sommerfeld took Peine, chasing the soldiers of the Bishop of Hildesheim from the town. This sudden attack succeeded completely; a large part of the army of the Duchy of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel was taken prisoners while the rest took refuge in Braunschweig. The regiment then returned to the Netherlands where it was present at the affair of Peer.
On 15 November 1703, the regiment took part in the Combat of Speyerbach
From May 1704, the regiment took part in Marlborough's march to the Danube. On July 2, the regiment took part in the 1704-07-02 – Battle of Schellenberg. On 13 August, it fought in the Battle of Blenheim where it distinguished itself, capturing the kettle-drums of the French Gens d’Armes, another pair of kettle-drums, nine standards, 8 colours and four guns. In this battle, the regiment lost Lieutenant-Colonel Ahlefeld, his major, a captain, 3 lieutenants, 35 troopers and 79 horses killed; his colonel, a major, 1 captain, 5 lieutenants, 1 ensign, 69 troopers and 42 horses wounded. For its conduct in this battle the regiment received new pallasch (sword) from [[Anne I|Queen Anne]. It took up its winter-quarters in the region of Darmstadt.
At the beginning of 1705, the regiment lost most of its remaining horses to glanders, a disease that the French horses captured at Blenheim on the previous year had disseminated among the cavalry. All saddlery had to be burnt and the men returned and the men walked back home and be supplied with new horses.
In July 1707, the regiment was sent to Brabant, joining the army in September. It took up its winter-quarters along the Demmer.
On 11 July 1708, the regiment, along with Croix de Fréchapelle Cavalry and Voigt Cavalry, was detached from the Allied army before the Battle of Oudenarde. From August to December, it took part in the siege of Lille. In November, it formed part of Marlborough’s Corps who countered a French attempt against Bruxelles.
On 11 September 1709, the regiment took part in the Battle of Malplaquet where it formed part of the 23 squadrons led by General von Bülow. It advanced so rapidly that it was the first cavalry regiment to engage the French infantry posted in the Tannières. It was received by a lively fire but managed to drive the enemy back. Together with Bülow Dragoons and Schulenburg Cavalry, it captured 8 standards and 2 pairs of kettle-drums. In this battle, the regiment lost Lieutenant-Colonel von Hasberg who had been mortally wounded.
Until 1705, the uniform of the regiment consisted of a blue coat with white lace. The grenadiers wore a bearskin. In 1705, the regiment received a new uniform consisting of a white coat lined light blue with with light blue lapels and cuffs, a light blue waistcoat and silver metal.
no information found
This article incorporates texts from the following books which are now in the public domain:
- Wissel, Friedrich v. and Georg von Wissel: Geschichte der Errichtung sämmtlicher Chur-Braunschweig-Lüneburgischen Truppen, sammt ihren Fahnen, Standarten und Pauken-Devisen ..., Zelle, 1786, pp. 187-198