Bugey Infanterie

From Project WSS
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: War of the Spanish Succession (Main Page) >> Armies >> French Army >> Bugey Infanterie

Origin and History

The regiment was created as “Bugey” on 4 October 1692 and given to Antoine Dreux d’Aix, Marquis de la Chaize (16 -1723). He was the nephew of François de la Chaize (1664-1709), a Jesuit and confessor of King Louis XIV, and the son of François d’Aix, Comte de la Chaize, captain of the Gardes de la Porte. He bought this regiment for 42,000 livres on top of the gratification of 100,000 livres given by the king (Saint-Simon).

In 1693, during the Nine Years’ War (1688-97), the regiment joined the Army of Flanders.

In October 1695, the Marquis de la Chaize obtained the colonelcy of Beauvoisis Infanterie. On 4 October of the same year, his previous charge was bought back Hyacinthe de Montvallat, Comte d’Entraigues (1670-1702) for an amount of 70,000 livres.

In 1697, the regiment took part in the siege of Ath.

In June 1699, the Comte d’Entraigues ceded the regiment when he obtained the lieutenant-colonelcy of Royal Vaisseaux Infanterie (he would die in Cremona in January 1702). The new colonel was Jean de Mathan (1682-1701) , who had been page at the King’s Chamber and the ensign with the Gardes-françaises. He was only 19 years old when he became colonel of Bugey Infanterie. Less than a year later, in August 1701, he died from dysentery at Mantua.

During the War of the Spanish Succession, the regiment was commanded by

  • from 1700 to August 1701: Jean de Mathan
  • from September 1701: Jacques de Bérenger, Comte du Gua et de Charme (formerly colonel of a militia regiment of the generality of Grenoble, he raised his own regiment in 1695 but it was disbanded in 1698, and became colonel of the present regiment in 1701; promoted to maréchal de camp in 1704)
  • from 10 February 1704: Charles, Comte de Bérenger (son of Jacques de Bérenger, killed in action at the defence of Saint-Venant on 24 September 1710)
  • from 4 October 1710 to 7 October 1714: Pierre Bérenger Comte du Charmes et du Gua (M. du Guast, the father of Charles de Bérenger, asked the king for the colonelcy of the regiment for Pierre, another of his sons; Pierre obtained the colonelcy of Vivarais Infanterie in may 1731; was promoted to brigadier on 20 February 1734 and to lieutenant-general in 1744; Chevalier du Saint-Esprit from 1746)

On 7 October 1714, the regiment was incorporated into Champagne Infanterie.

Service during the War

In 1701, the first battalion of the regiment served with the Army of Italy.

On 15 August 1702, the first battalion was at the Battle of Luzzara and then took part in the capture of Luzzara and Gonzague. The same year, the second battalion campaigned in Flanders.

In 1703, the first battalion took part in the the combat of Stradella, in the combat of Castelnuovo, in the expedition in Tirol and in the combat of San Sebastiano. The same year, the second battalion campaigned in Flanders.

In 1704, the first battalion took part in the sieges of Vercelli, Ivrea and Verrua.

In 1705, the first battalion took part in the siege of Chivasso.

In 1706, the first battalion took part in the siege of Turin.

In 1707, the regiment took part in the defence of Toulon.

In 1709, the regiment was placed in garrison in Saint-Venant.

In 1710, the regiment took part in the defence of Saint-Venant where his colonel was killed.

In 1713, the regiment took part in the sieges and capture of Landau and Freiburg.


To do


The colours of Bugey Infanterie because they bring us back to the Savoyard history of this region of France.

Throughout centuries, the Duchy of Savoy had extended its territory through marriages, alliances and local conflicts to the detriment of Dauphiné, Genevois, and others. At the beginning of the XVIIth century the possessions of the House of Piedmont-Savoy included: Piedmont, Savoy, Bresse, the Dombes, the Bugey, the marquisates of Saluzzo, the County of Nice, the Principality of Monaco, the Principality of Oneglia, the Marquisate of Finale, the Montferrat…

The loss of the Bugey by the House of Savoy

Everything began in 1548 at the death without heir of the last marquis of Saluzzo. Henri IV, who claimed suzerainty, united the marquisate to France. The Duke of Savoy could not accept this partition, which separated Piedmont from the County of Nice. Refusing the negotiation proposed by France, in July 1600, the Duke of Savoy went to war against France, which rapidly occupied a large part of the possessions, fortresses and citadels of the House of Savoy. On 17 January 1701, by the Treaty of Lyon, Savoy ceded to France all the territories located on the right bank of the Rhône River (Bresse, Bugey, Valromey, and Pays de Gex). In compensation, Savoy recovered sovereignty over the Marquisate of Saluzzo.

The colours of the regiment

Colonel Colour: white field with a white cross.

Ordonnance Colour: a typically Savoyard colour with a blue field with a white cross; red dented border.

Colonel Colour - Copyright: Gilbert Noury
Ordonnance Colour - Copyright: Gilbert Noury


This article incorporates texts from the following books which are now in the public domain:

  • Susane, Louis: Histoire de l'ancienne infanterie française, J. Corréard, Paris, 1849-1856, Tome 8, pp. 273-274


Jean-Louis Vial for the info on the colonels and on the colours of the regiment