Carl Joseph Lothringen Infantry

From Project WSS
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: War of the Spanish Succession (Main Page) >> Armies >> Austrian Army >> Carl Joseph Lothringen Infantry

Origin and History

As Bishop of Osnabrück, Carl, Duke of Lorraine (aka Lothringen) and Bar had his own troops: one regiment of foot led by Colonel Heinrich Ernst Baron Wickelhoffen and two companies of dragoons. In 1701, as the States General of the Netherlands started preparation for war, Duke Carl leased part of his regiment of foot to them. The rest was completed again and called “Osnabrück’sche Leibregiment” and offered to Emperor Leopold I. The contract (Capitulation) between Duke Carl and the Emperor was signed in Laxenburg on 12 June 1701. In this contract, it was decided that the regiment (initially counting 10 companies á 100 men, for a total of 1,000 men) should be increased to 16 coys, totalling 2,400 men. The original 10 coys garrisoned Freiburg and should be reviewed in Frankfurt/Main. The additional 6 coys. should be raised in Westphalia, Saxony, Swabia and in the District of the Upper Rhine.

Since this moment the regiment was called Infanterie-Regiment “Osnabrück.” Unlike others regiment proprietors, Carl Duke of Lorraine and Bar, bishop of Osnabrück and Olmütz did not accompany his regiment in campaigns. He rather dedicated most of his interest to his ecclesiastical functions and spent his time in his Osnabrück palace, and at Trier, Lunéville, Olmütz and Vienna.

Detail of an engraving depicting Carl, Duke of Lothringen – Source: Rona’s book

During the War of the Spanish Succession, the proprietors of the regiment were:

  • from 12 June 1701 until his death on 4 December 1715: Carl Joseph Ignaz Bishop of Osnabrück and Olmütz, Duke of Lorraine and Bar

The effective commanders of the regiment were:

  • from 1701: Lieutenant-Colonel Georg Ludwig Knight von Lattermann (later promoted to colonel, appointed commander of Mantua and promoted to major-general in 1708)
  • from 6 November 1708 to 20 June 1717: Lieutenant-Colonel David-Ludwig von Rohr (promoted to major-general on 20 June 1717, died on 30 June 1719 from a wound received at the battle of Villafranca)


Service during the War

On 27 August 1701, the regiment (at this time still 10 coys with 840 men only) was reviewed in Frankfurt/Main. On 30 August, it got the order to join the army of Margrave Ludwig von Baden at Offenburg and, from there, was immediately sent to Kehl. By 30 September, the regiment garrisoned Kehl. By 14 October, it already counted 1,000 men. The additional 6 coys and one grenadier coy initially mustered in Freiburg. Lieutenant-Colonel Georg Ludwig Knight von Lattermann assumed command of the entire regiment.

At the beginning of March 1702, the regiment was at Freiburg, but had not yet reached its complete strength. In mid-March, still counting only 800 men, it joined the main army to work on the entrenchments of Lines of Stollhofen. The grenadier coy (until November it had only 6 muskets for its 100 grenadiers) was sent to the headquarters at Germersheim.

In June, the whole battalion accompanied the army to lay siege to Landau and encamped between Nusdorf and Godramstein, north of Landau, the grenadiers at the headquarters at Arzheim. The Margrave of Baden led the main attack from the south. His forces included the grenadiers of the regiment. FM Thüngen led another attack against the citadel. His troops included the battalion of the regiment. On 27 July, the 25 years old Archduke Joseph arrived before Landau and assumed command of the siege corps. On 3 August, the grenadier coy of the regiment was converged with those of Fürstenberg Infantry, Marsigli Infantry and the Würzburg Bibra Infantry to form a grenadier battalion. Along with 6 other grenadier battalions, it was put under command of Major-General Horn. Meanwhile, the fusilier battalion of the regiment was placed under command of Major-General Daun and FML Duke Sachsen-Meiningen. In the night of 6 August, the present battalion took part in Daun’s assault against a small entrenchment near the “Porte de France.” On 21 August, the battalion took part in a similar assault on the outwork No. 14. At midnight on 9 September, when the Allies stormed the ravelin of the citadel, this battalion distinguished itself. For his conduct, Major Franz de Brillié was proposed for promotion to lieutenant-colonel (he would get this rank on 23 June 1703). On 10 September, the French surrendered and marched out of Landau “with military honours.”

The battalion then went to the entrenchments on the Lauter River, while the grenadiers remained with the Margrave of Baden, who marched to Friedlingen. In October, after the Battle of Friedlingen the army took up its winter-quarters. The battalion remained in the Lines of Wissembourg. By the end of October, the regiment counted 1,603 men. It was in poor conditions: soldiers had not been paid for months, their uniforms were tattered, and 44 Swiss and Alsatian fusiliers had deserted. By the end of December, the regiment had only 1,132 men. The officers sold their belongings, they had accumulated a debt of approx. 30.000 fl with the inhabitants of Freiburg.

In 1703, part of the regiment (5 coys) was posted in the Lines of Wissembourg while the rest (12 coys) was stationed in Freiburg. At the end of May, the Margrave of Baden marched to Bavaria with the main body of his army, leaving 13,000 men (including 5 coys of the present regiment) in the Lines of Stollhofen. Lieutenant-Colonel Franz de Brillié was sent to Vienna to get some financial assistance for the regiment. At the end of December, the whole regiment was assembled at Freiburg. The grenadiers were converged with those of Rubin Infantry (unidentified unit), Wangenheim Infantry (unidentified unit) and Eichelsberg Infantry (unidentified unit) to form the 2nd Imperial Grenadier Battalion, which was sent to Phillipsburg for its winter-quarters. By the end of December, the regiment counted only 978 men.

On 14 May 1704, a French detachment (approx. 500 foot and horse) arrived before Freiburg and erected two camps. In the night of 16 May, part of the French train managed to pass near Freiburg, unnoticed by the garrison. In the night of 16 to 17 May, Captain Ludwig von Rohr made a sortie with some fusiliers of the regiment, capturing 80 men. At the end of May, the French left the neighbourhood of Freiburg. Between 16 and 21 May, 477 French deserters reached Freiburg.

In June, a French army marched towards Bavaria to support Elector Maximilian II Emanuel. On its way, this army planned to capture the town of Villingen, which had a garrison of only 402 men (including 102 men of the present regiment). On 17 July, the French arrived before Villingen, but failed to surprise the garrison. They then undertook a formal siege. The garrison, supported by the inhabitants, resisted and the French raised the siege on 21 July.

Colonel Lattermann and his Lieutenant-Colonel Brillié proposed to Prince Eugène de Savoie through Major-General Winkelhofer to surprise the French garrison of the Fortress of Alt-Breisach, near Freiburg. Their proposal was accepted. In the evening of 9 November, the garrison of Freiburg (nearly 2,000 men) marched very silently towards Alt-Breisach. In front of the column were some wagons loaded with hay in which grenadiers, arms, ammunition and petards were hidden. These wagons were escorted by fusiliers from the present regiment, Brandenburg-Bayreuth Infantry and some Swiss soldiers, all of them dressed as poor farmers. A thick fog eased the operations. At 5:00 a.m., the convoy arrived at the “Neuthor” Gate of Alt-Breisach. At 8:00 a.m., the doors were opened and the first wagons entered into the fortress. Some of the wagons stopped on the drawbridge to prevent its closing. However, the garrison of Alt-Breisach discovered the subterfuge in time and closed the portcullis. The Imperial soldiers inside were trapped. Most of them were wounded and taken prisoners. Lieutenant-Colonel Franz de Brillié and Lieutenant Wittich from the present regiment died a few days later from their wounds. The commander of Alt-Breisach wrote to King Louis XIV: “Enfin c’est un miracle, comme nous avons paré le coup” (Well, it is a miracle that we have prevented the attempt).

In 1705, the regiment received 800 recruits from Styria and 713 muskets from the arsenal at Munich. During the year, it would also receive some 18.000 fl. The regiment was supposed to leave Freiburg, but due to some problems with the payment of its debts, only a combined battalion and the grenadiers were sent to join the main army at Rastatt. At the end of July, the regiment managed to pay its debts and left Freiburg to join the main army. Captain David Ludwig von Rohr, who had been promoted to major (OWM), was appointed commander of the Castle of Lower Freiburg.

By mid-August, one battalion of the regiment and the grenadiers formed part of the army of the Margrave of Baden at Hagenau, the other battalion was posted in the entrenchments near Ober-Bühl, and a detachment remained at Freiburg to train the recruit. The Margrave of Baden finally assembled the two battalions and the grenadiers at Weyersheimb with his army. On 23 September, the regiment was instructed to capture Drusenheim, which was occupied by a French garrison (18 staff officers, 45 SCOs and 350 men). The margrave with Colonel Lattermann reconnoitred the neighbourhood. On 24 September, they established a blockade and on 25 September, Drusenheim capitulated.

End of October, both battalions and the grenadiers marched through Bavaria to Italy, while the aforementioned detachment remained at Freiburg. The regiment (now 845 men) stopped at Munich waiting for recruits from Bohemia and Tyrol. One battalion and the grenadiers remained at Munich, the other battalion was attached to the troops of Colonel Wendt to quench uprising of Bavarian rebels. Wendt marched to Burghausen, which opened its gates. Schärnding and Braunau were also occupied. Later on, Wendt marched against Mühldorf am Inn, were some thousand rebels were concentrated. On 18 December, Wendt attacked the rebels with one battalion of the present regiment and 30 hussars and drove them back. Wendt followed the fleeing rebels up to Sendling, where the rest of rebels were finally annihilated on 25 December.

In 1706, the regiment remained in Bavaria until May. The detachment left behind at Freiburg joined the rest of the regiment there. The regiment was now organized in three battalions: one, led by Lieutenant-Colonel Mengersen, remained in Munich; the other, led by Major Rohr, occupied Braunau; and the third along with the grenadiers led by Colonel Lattermann went to Ingolstadt.

The intention of the Hofkriegsrat (war council) was to send the regiment as soon as possible to Italy, but FML Bagni opposed this plan and the regiment was used to destroy the walls of Braunau. On 1 May, the regiment finally marched to Italy, crossed Tyrol at the end of June and arrived in Italy at the beginning of July. It then joined the corps of Prince of Anhalt at Pescantina and San Michele near Verona.

By 12 July, the regiment formed part of Wetzel's Corps, which concentrated at La Badia. Wetzel’s Corps with troops of Prince Friedrich von Hessen-Kassel followed the French. On 8 September, the regiment took part in the Battle of Castiglione. After heavy fighting the outnumbered Imperialists retreated in good order. In this battle, the present regiment lost 129 men killed, 154 taken prisoners and 102 wounded. It also lost its colours, which were brought back to France and hanged inside the Cathedral of Notre-Dame in Paris.

Prince Friedrich marched through Roverè to Guastalla, while Major-General Wetzel reached Moncasale near Reggiolo on 12 October. Wetzel then marched with Brandenburg-Bayreuth Infantry, Wetzel Infantry and the present regiment to Modena. On 18 October, Wetzel established a blockade around Modena. In the night of 19 October, Wetzel’s troops stormed Modena and occupied the city. The castle would remain in French possession until February 1707.

One battalion of the regiment was then posted along Po River; the second, led by Major Rohr, garrisoned Mesola, and the “Leibbattalion” and the grenadiers, led by Colonel Lattermann remained at Modena, where they were joined by 390 new recruits.

In March 1707, the Convention of Milan was signed and French troops evacuated Italy. On 2 April, the present regiment, along with Brandenburg-Bayreuth Infantry, Wetzel Infantry, Bagosy Hayduck and Hildesheim Infantry (unidentified unit) were sent to Mantua, recently evacuated by the French. From there, Colonel Lattermann was sent with his regiment to occupy Mirandola (400 men) and Guastalla (200 men), leaving 224 men in Mantua. Lattermann assumed command at Mantua.

In June, Prince Eugène de Savoie invaded Provence. The present regiment formed part of the third column. One battalion was allocated to the corps of GdC Visconti to blockade the French between the Dora Baltea River, Turin and Busca. On 4 July, Prince Eugène marched from Busca. On 10 July, he reached Nice, crossed the Var River and, on 26 July, arrived before Fort La Valette near Toulon. The forts of La Croix and Sainte-Catherine were captured, but Toulon itself could not be besieged. A large number of French troops were on their way to relieve Toulon and Prince Eugène was forced to retreat. On 16 September, he was back at Nice. Eugène then decided to capture Susa, which surrender on 3 October, including its citadel. The regiment took up its winter-quarters in Mantua, but two coys remained with the detachment commanded by Colonel Browne de Camus at Susa.

On 23 January 1708, the present regiment and Guido Starhemberg Infantry were informed that they would be transferred to Spain. On 15 July, the regiment (1,204 men, 177 women and children, 72 horses) embarked aboard British ships at Vado. Colonel Lattermann did not accompany his regiment, but returned to Susa, ill and unfit for service in the field. He was appointed commander of Mantua and promoted to major-General (GFWM). Lieutenant-Colonel von Rohr assumed the effective command of the regiment.

The regiment arrived in Spain on 24 July and was allocated to the corps of the Prince von Hessen-Darmstadt at Barcelona. On 23 September, Prince Heinrich sent a detachment of 230 men of the regiment to Solsona and the rest to Noguera Pallaresa on the river of the same name. Three well known Walloon regiments were posted near La Guardia (unidentified location), on the opposite bank of the Noguera Pallaresa. Prince Heinrich authorized Lieutenant-Colonel Rohr to launch a surprise attack against this outpost. In the night of 30 September to 1 October, Rohr posted 250 men on the bridge facing the village of Tremp. Meanwhile, at 3:00 a.m., Rohr at the head of 150 men crossed the icy Noguera Pallaresa a few km west of Tremp. His men climbed the slope of the opposite bank in total silence, killed the guards and surprised the still sleeping battalions. 400 of them were killed, the rest escaped. In this action, Rohr captured 6 colours and 9 officers. Rohr immediately recrossed the river. During this operation, 9 of his men drowned in the icy river. The whole detachment of Lieutenant-Colonel Rohr was praised by FM Guido Count Starhemberg. Each of the men who had captured enemy colours received 6 ducats.

The regiment then remained its winter-quarters at Villamitjana (unidentified location). On 2 December, FM Starhemberg surprised the Fortress of Tortosa. His forces consisted of his own regiment (1,400 men), Reventlau Infantry (1,100 men), 500 British soldiers and 100 grenadiers and fusiliers from the present regiment. In the night of 2 December, these troops marched from Tarragona and arrived – unnoticed – on 4 December at 3:00 a.m. before Tortosa and immediately attacked from three sides. The troops climbed the walls, captured 6 guns and entered into the city. Noise alarmed the garrison and, after fighting which lasted for 24 hours, FM Starhemberg was forced to retire without have reached his objective. The enemies continued to fire for some hours, killing some of their own men, before realising in the morning of 5 December, that Starhemberg’s troops had retired. In this action, the small detachment of the regiment (only 100 men) suffered disproportionate losses (1 officer and 32 men wounded and taken prisoners). This setback put an end to the campaign of the regiment for that year.

In 1709, the Franco-Spanish concentrated their troops on the right bank of the Segre River, and Starhemberg took position on the opposite bank. The city of Balaguer, located on the right bank, was a very important place for both armies. Starhemberg decided to surprise this place, which was defended by a garrison of 800 men. In the night of 27 August, Starhemberg marched 8 km and arrived before Balaguer at 7:00 a.m. His artillery immediately opened a lively fire and the garrison surrendered the same day as prisoners of war. In this action, 2 bns of the present regiment were deployed in the centre of the first, while its third battalion was posted in the second line, and its grenadiers were kept in reserve.

The regiment took up its winter-quarters in the neighbourhood of Balaguer where it was reviewed in November. It then counted 1,285 men.

The same year (1709), detachments of the regiment had been present at the attacks on Roda and Venasque.

In June 1710, the regiment (1,279 men), which was still posted in Balaguer, was once more reviewed. On 8 June, Archduke Charles visited the army in its camp. The Franco-Spanish army retreated up to Lerida. On 27 July, the regiment took part in the victorious Battle of Almenar, where it was deployed in the fourth line under Major-General Bouillon and FML Wetzel. After the battle, the Allied army remained in the vicinity of Almenar until 31 July. Starhemberg then marched by way of Monzón, Avalate (unidentified unit) and Candasnos, to Bujalaroz. On 19 August, he crossed the Ebro River and took position facing the army of Philip V.

On 20 August, the regiment (all 3 battalions and 2 grenadier coy) fought in the Battle of Saragossa where it was deployed in the second line of the right wing. It distinguished itself, repulsing an attack of the Franco-Spanish cavalry at the point of the bayonet and supporting Reventlau Infantry, which was posted just in front in the first line. After the victory, the army marched on Madrid where it arrived on 28 September. It remained in a camp near El Prado and Villaverde until 10 November, when it retired to Ciempozuelos.

On 15 November, Starhemberg was informed that Philip V had raised a new army and was marching from Valladolid to Saragossa. On 20 November, Starhemberg marched with his army by way of Chinchón, Mondéjar and Pastrana to Cifuentes, where he was informed that Stanhope was surrounded by superior enemy forces. Starhemberg immediately marched southwards to come to the rescue of Stanhope’s Army. In the morning of 10 December, Starhemberg reached Villaviciosa de Tajuña. His messages to Stanhope remained unanswered – unknown to him, Stanhope had already capitulated. Starhemberg himself soon came under attack. During the ensuing Combat of Villaviciosa, one battalion of the the present regiment was posted on the right wing. Together with Guido Starhemberg Infantry and Jörger zu Tollet Dragoons, it resisted to three attacks of superior forces. At the decisive moment, the present regiment took part in a counterattack led by FM Starhemberg. After the battle, Starhemberg’s Army had to retire towards Jiloca. The retreat was difficult, the local people were on side of the Franco-Spanish and destroyed all magazines on the way. Throughout the retreat, the present regiment formed part of the rearguard. On 23 December, Starhemberg’s Army arrived at Saragossa, where it remained until the end of the year.

At the beginning of January 1711, Starhemberg’s Army retired to its old camp at Balaguer. The present regiment was stationed in Aragon but suffered within the next months from a lack of money, food and other necessary goods. It was then posted near Puebla d’Aguila (unidentified location) on the road to Barcelona, in Major-General Browne’s Corps on the right wing of the army, Philippe V tried to turn Starhemberg’s right wing. The latter threw grenadiers, one battalion of Eckh Infantry and one battalion of the present regiment into the village of Prats del Rey. In the evening of 17 September, the enemies attacked these positions without success. The attack was repeated on 18 September with the same results. The roads were very bad, and the Imperial artillery could not reach Prats del Rey before 21 September. The Franco-Spanish tried to undertake a formal siege, but again without success. On 5 November, Philip V raised the siege of Prats del Rey. On 11 November, he undertook the Siege of Cardona, which was defended by Major-General von Eckh (45 fusiliers of the present regiment formed part of the garrison). At the beginning of December, Starhemberg sent FML Batté with a detachment (including the third battalion of the present regiment) to bring provisions to Cardona. However, Batté was unable to reach the place. On 22 December, Batté made another attempt with more troops (including the grenadiers and the third battalion of the regiment). This time, he managed to reach Cardona with supplies. Starhemberg wrote afterwards :

“Le colonel Rohr occupa les dites hauteurs avec autant de succès, que le secours entra dans la place sans autre résistance, que celle de trois compagnies de Grenadiers postées dans un Ermitage, d’où ils firent quelque feu sans aucune perte.”

Starhemberg’s Army took up its winter-quarters: 4 coys of the present regiment were quartered in Piera, 13 coys in Castelladas and other nearby villages; while 44 fusiliers remained at Cardona, and 208 at Igualada.

From April to December 1712, the whole regiment was concentrated at Igualada, then at Cervera, and saw no action. During this period, the regiment incorporated some officers and 178 men from the disbanded Browne Infantry, and 32 men from Eckh Infantry.

In 1713, the Treaty of Utrecht stipulated that Imperial troops should leave Spain. On 8 May, Emperor Charles VI sign an order at Laxenburg by which the present regiment, along with Vaubonne Infantry and Toldo Infantry (both later disbanded) were sent to Naples. On 20 August, the present regiment embarked aboard the warship St. Leopold, which reached Naples on 2 September.

Uniform

Privates

Uniform in 1701 - Copyright: Richard Couture
Uniform Details as per
Donath
Headgear
Fusilier black tricorne laced white; as field sign, green foliage was attached to the tricorne in summer and a wisp of straw in winter

N.B.: to distinguish soldiers (from corporal down to privates) of each company, a button or rosette at the colour of the company was attached to the tricorne.

Grenadier bearskin edged with a white braid; red hanging bag edged with a white braid in a zig-zag pattern
Neck stock red
Coat dark green with dark green lining; pewter buttons on the right side and 1 pewter button on each side in the small of the back
Collar none
Shoulder Straps none
Lapels none
Pockets horizontal pockets, each with 3 pewter buttons
Cuffs red, each with 3 pewter buttons
Turnbacks none
Waistcoat red with pewter buttons
Breeches dark green
Stockings white fastened under the knee with a natural leather strap
Gaiters made of canvas and used only when the soldier wore linen breeches; in this case, the stockings were replaced by linen socks; the use of gaiters generalized much later
Leather Equipment
Crossbelt natural leather
Waistbelt a yellow deer or buffalo leather waist-belt worn above the waistcoat
Cartridge Pouch red or black leather pouch containing 24 cartridges, a pewter oil flask, two needles attached to a small chain (to clean the touch-hole of the lock), a tube that held the match for lighting the fuse of grenades, with a wooden peg on a small chain and a roll of fuse. The cartridge box had two cover flaps. The top one was sometimes decorated with a metal badge bearing the cipher or the arms of the Inhaber.

Grenadiers carried two cartridge pouches. The first one, slightly larger than that of fusiliers, was worn on wide cross-belt and contained grenades and a pewter tube that held the match for lighting the fuse of grenades; the smaller second pouch was attached to the waist-belt and contained cartridges for the musket.

Bayonet Scabbard black leather
Scabbard none
Footwear Russia leather shoes


Armaments consisted of a musket and a bayonet. Grenadiers were also armed with hand grenades.

Other interpretations

Wrede describes the uniform issued in 1708: a pearl grey coat with green cuffs, a green waistcoat, pearl grey breeches, and red stockings.

Note: according to Czegka, by 1717, the regiment had adopted a pearl grey uniform with red lining, red cuffs, red waistcoat, yellow buttons, pearl grey breeches and white stockings.

NCOs

NCOs carried a spontoon (half-pike). They were also armed with a Stossdegen (a long two-edged estoc or rapier) carried in a black leather scabbard attached to the waist-belt.

NCOs of grenadier companies carried a flintlock musket instead of the spontoon.

NCOs also carried a cane whose characteristics indicated their precise rank. This cane had the length of a walking stick and was carried in and out of service. In action, to free hands, the cane was hanged to a button of the coat. Grenadier sergeants and fouriers were distinguished from privates by three silver braids on the bag of their bearskin.

Officers

Officer of Carl Joseph Lothringen Infantry - Source: detail from an illustration of Richard Knötel

Uniforms of officers were always of finer cloth than those of the privates. The were also distinguished from the uniforms of privates by the following differences:

  • a black tricorne edged yellow with a white plumetis
  • a dark green coat edged gold with gilt buttons; cuffs and pocket flaps were also edged with a golden braid
  • red cuffs, each with 3 gilt buttons and gold laced buttonholes
  • a red waistcoat edged gold
  • red breeches
  • white stockings

Officers wore a black and yellow silk sash across the chest or around the waist.

Lieutenants of the grenadier companies were distinguished from privates and NCOs by four golden braids on the bag of their bearskin; captains by five golden braids on their bearskin.

Officers carried a partisan. The partisan was decorated with a tassel: gold for the colonel, gold with silver fringe for the lieutenant-colonel, gold and silken fringe for captains and silken fringe for lieutenants. In some regiments, the captains' tassel was entirely of silk; in this case the lieutenants' partisan had no tassel. The partisans of staff officers had gilt butt caps.

Officers were also armed with a Stossdegen (a long two-edged estoc or rapier) carried in a black leather scabbard attached to the waist-belt.

Officers carried a cane whose characteristics indicated their precise rank. This cane had the length of a walking stick and was carried in and out of service. In action, to free hands, the cane was hanged to a button of the coat.

Officers of grenadier companies carried a flintlock musket instead of the partisan. Captains, lieutenants and sergeants of these companies always had their bayonet affixed to their musket.

In the field, officers carried a pair of pistols.

Musicians

In the Austrian Army of the time, musicians often wore uniforms in reverse colours with the distinctive colour of the regiment used for the coat.

Drummers and fifers wore the following uniform:

  • a black tricorne laced yellow
  • red neck stock
  • a red coat with red lining; edged yellow with swallow nests decorated with yellow braids at the shoulders; sleeves, cuffs and pocket flaps were also edged with a yellow braid
  • green cuffs, each with 3 pewter buttons
  • a white waistcoat with pewter buttonholes
  • green breeches
  • red stockings

The drum belt was usually brown and worn on the right shoulder.

Colours

Colonel colour (Leibfahne): white field; centre device consisting of the cipher of Carl Lothringen surmounted by a prince-bishop crown, the whole surrounded by two palm branches tied together with a blue ribbon; each corner device consisting of a golden grenade

Leibfahne – Copyright: Jean-Louis Vial

Regimental colours (Bataillonsfahne): field made of three horizontal bands (green, white, red); centre device consisting of a large yellow cross potent carrying a black crown of thorns, surrounded by 4 smaller yellow cross potent; each corner device consisting of a yellow cross of Lorraine surmounted by a prince-bishop crown; white border with green and red flames pointing outwards

Regimentsfahne – Copyright: Jean-Louis Vial

Note: Kühn & Hall also illustrate a different Bataillonsfahne, which they date from 1706. It has a white field with a golden frame and bordered with white flames outlined in gold; the centre device consisting of a Madonna carrying her son and surrounded by golden rays, the whole on a white cloud; corner devices consisting of the crowned monogram “CL” in gold.

References

This article incorporates texts from the following books which are now in the public domain:

  • Abtheilung für Kriegsgeschichte des k. k. Kriegs-Archives: Feldzüge des Prinzen Eugen von Savoyen, Series 1, Vol. 3, Vienna 1876, App. 45

Czegka, Eduard: Uniformen der kaiserlichen Infanterie unter Prinz Eugen. in: Zeitschrift für Heereskunde 49-51, 1933, pp. 459-473.

Donath, Rudolf; Die Kaiserliche und Kaiserlich-Königliche Österreichische Armee 1618-1918, 2. Aufl., Simbach/Inn 1979

Gräffer, August: Geschichte der kaiserl. Königl. Regimenter, Corps, Bataillons und anderer Militär-Branchen seit ihrer Errichtung biz zu Ende des Feldzuges 1799, Vol. 1, Vienna, 1804, pp. 62-66

Knötel, Richard: Uniformkunde, Lose Blätter zur Geschichte der Entwicklung der militärischen Tracht, Vol. X, No. 16, Rathenow 1890-1921

Kühn/Hall: 'The Imperial Regiments of Foot 1701-1714, Part 21

Pelet and François Eugène de Vault: Mémoires militaires relatifs à la Succession d'Espagne sous Louis XIV, Vol. 3 p. 911-912

Rona, L.: Geschichte des K.u.K. Infanterie-Regimentes Adolf Grossherzog von Luxemburg, Herzog zu Nassau Nr. 15, Prague 1901

Seyfart, Kurzgefaßte Geschichte aller kaiserlich-königlichen Regimenter zu Pferde und zu Fuß, Frankfurth and Leipzig, 1762, p. 22

Thürheim: Gedenkblätter aus der Kriegsgeschichte der k.k. Oesterreichischen Armee

Wrede, Alphons: Geschichte der K. und K. Wehrmacht, vol 1, 1898, p. 217

Acknowledgement

Jean-Louis Vial for his kind authorisation to use material published in his website Nec Pluribus Impar

Harald Skala for the translation and integration of Rona’s book