Charles Earl of Orrery's Foot

From Project WSS
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: War of the Spanish Succession (Main Page) >> Armies >> British Army >> Charles Earl of Orrery's Foot

Origin and History

This regiment was raised in Ireland in 1704.

During the War of the Spanish Succession, the successive proprietors of the regiment were:

  • from 1 March 1704: Charles, Earl of Orrery
  • from 24 February 1707: Sir Thomas Prendergast
  • from 9 March 1710: George Maccartney
  • from 8 December 1710 to 1713: Richard Kane

The regiment was disbanded in 1713.

Service during the War

In July 1709, the regiment took part in the siege and capture of Tournai. On 11 September, it fought in the sanguinary Battle of Malplaquet.

In 1711, the regiment was shipwrecked on the Saint-Laurent River during the unsuccessful expedition against Québec.

The regiment was disbanded in 1713.


At the end of April 1711, the uniform of a sergeant of the grenadier company of the regiment is described as: red coat lined with green and laced in silver on the pockets and sleeves, and a belt laced in silver.

In November 1712, a deserter is described as wearing scarlet breeches trimmed with silver.


no information found yet


Dalton, Charles (ed.): English Army List and Commission Registers

  • Vol. V. p. 245
  • Vol. VI. p. 164

Linney-Drouet, C.A.: 1692-1799: Extracts from the Notebook of the Late Revd Percy Sumner, In: Journal of the the Society for Army Research, Vol. 78, No. 314 (Summer 2000), p. 95

Public Record Office Lists and Indexes, Vol. 53, Reprint New York 1963, p. 446

Sumner, Percy: 18th Century Notices of Uniform, In:. Journal of the Society for Army Historical Research, Vol. 1, No. 6 (December 1922), p. 260

N.B.: the section Service during the War is partly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.


Jörg Meier for the initial version of this article