Fusiliers de Montagnes

From Project WSS
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: War of the Spanish Succession (Main Page) >> Armies >> French Army >> Fusiliers de Montagnes

Origin and History

A royal decree dated 23 February 1684 issued six commissions to raise six companies of “Fusiliers du Roussillon”, later called “Fusiliers de montagnes”. Each company should count 50 men. In 1689, the number of companies was increased. On 20 February 1695, it was reduced to 20 companies of 60 men each. In 1697, the unit was disbanded.

The unit was re-raised only in 1702.

During the War of the Spanish Succession, the corps was commanded by:

  • since 1702 to 13 December 1713: Sieur de Palmerole (he also commanded the initial unit from its creation in 1684 to its disbandment in 1697)

The corps was disbanded on 13 December 1713.

Service during the War

In 1702, the corps was re-established with a strength of three battalions to serve against the Camisards (Protestant insurgents) in the Cévennes.

In March 1703, the corps took part in the Combat de Pompignan against Roland, a chief of the Camisards, who was defeated.

On 15 November 1705, the corps incorporated the former battalion of Miquelets du Roussillon which had been commanded by Bonaventura d'Ortaffa de Villeplana

From 1706, the corps served in Spain, escorting convoys and fighting the Catalan Migueletes.

On 13 December 1713, the corps was disbanded.


From 1684 to 1697, the uniform consisted of a coat “à la mode du pays” (suggesting a traditional coat from the region of Roussillon) and a cap in the same cloth.

In 1702, the regiment received grey uniforms (maybe the same uniform as French militia units). Soldiers were armed with an escopette, pistols, a knife and a shoulder bags.

In each company, a musician used a conch shell as a blowing horn.


no information found yet


This article incorporates texts from the following books, which are now in the public domain:

  • Susane, Louis: Histoire de l'ancienne infanterie française, J. Corréard, Paris, 1849-1856, Tome 8, p. 313

Other sources

Carnet de la Sabretache n° 408, 1951


Jean-Pierre Loriot for the initial version of this article.