Galindo Cavalry

From Project WSS
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: War of the Spanish Succession (Main Page) >> Armies >> Spanish Army (Bourbon) >> Galindo Cavalry

Origin and History

The regiment was raised on 10 February 1706 in Puerto de Santa Maria (Cádiz) from the two companies (Don Bonifacio Manrique de Lara and Don Luis de Zúñiga) of the Tenientes Generales de la Caballeria de Andalucia (Lieutenant-General of the Cavalry of Andalucia), one company (Don Pedro Mataylan) of Extremadura Cavalry and seven mounted companies stationed in Cádiz.

During the War of the Spanish Succession, the successive colonels of the regiment were:

  • from 10 February 1706: Luis Galindo
  • from June 1706: Joseph Carrillo de Albornoz y Montiel, Count de Montemar (promoted to maréchal de camp in 1710)
  • from 5 January 1708: Joseph Ventura Uribe y Salazar

Service during the War

From 1706, the regiment joined the Army of Andalusia and took part in the blockade of Gibraltar.

On 25 April 1707, the regiment took part in the Battle of Almansa where it was posted on the right of the first line. On 6 May, it entered into Valencia to prevent trouble. It was then sent to the frontier of Aragon to contain parties of migueletes who tried to penetrated into the Kingdom of Valencia. It later joined the Army of Catalonia commanded by the Duc d'Orléans in the camp of Castell de Farfaña. On 21 September, the regiment marched under the command of General Kercadó to occupy the Rivagorza and cover the bridge of Montañana.

In 1708, the regiment was transferred to the Army of Extremadura where it was posted on the left of the second line.

In 1709, the regiment campaigned with the Army of Extremadura. On 7 May, it took part in the Battle of La Gudiña where it was deployed on the left of the second line. The regiment then received orders to march towards the District of Valencia.

On 7 July 1710, the regiment formed part of the force under the Governor of Peñiscola who precipitously marched on Vinaroz to prevent the landing of an Allied force. It then joined the Army of Catalonia and took part in the campaign of Ibars. Finally, it retired towards Aragon. On 27 July, it fought in the Battle of Almenar. On 13 August, during the retreat of the Franco-Spanish army, the regiment, along with two other cavalry regiments, it covered the passage of the Cinca. On 15 August, it was attacked by 28 Allied squadrons near Peñalva, drove them back and pursued them up to Candasnos. The Allies rallied between Candasnos and Torrente but the regiment charged and routed them. On 20 August, it took part in the disastrous Battle of Saragossa. The remnants of the regiment then retreated to the Province of Extremadura where the army was reorganised. The regiment then joined the army campaigning on the banks of the Tagus. On 8 December, the regiment took part in the Combat of Brihuega and, on December 10, in the decisive Combat of Villaviciosa. It then pursued the enemy up to the banks of the Ebro. From Saragossa, it then returned to Extremadura.

In 1712, the regiment was sent to the camp of Calaf in Catalonia. In February, it skirmished with enemy foraging parties. In March, it was sent to Conca de Tremp to levy contributions. It also fought the insurgents. The regiment then returned to Extremadura to remount.

In August 1713, the regiment was transferred to the Kingdom of Valencia.

In 1714, the regiment was sent to Catalonia where it took part in the siege of Barcelona. Lieutenant-Colonel Terán with 100 horse and a few grenadier companies drove the insurgents out of Castellfel and Vilanova de Cubells, taking 19 soldiers and 3 officers as prisoners. After the capture of Barcelona, the regiment returned to Valencia.

Uniform

Privates

Uniform in 1706- Source: Copyright Richard Couture
Uniform Details
Headgear black tricorne laced yellow, with a red cockade
Neck stock white cravate
Coat white with blue lining; copper buttons on the right side and 1 copper button on each side in the small of the back
Collar none
Shoulder straps none
Lapels none
Pockets horizontal pockets, each with 4 copper buttons
Cuffs blue, each with 4 copper buttons
Turnbacks none
Waistcoat blue with copper buttons
Breeches blue
Leather Equipment
Bandolier natural leather
Waistbelt natural leather worn above the coat
Cartridge Box natural leather ventral cartridge box
Scabbard black leather with a white metal tip
Footgear black boots
Horse Furniture
Saddlecloth probably blue edged yellow
Housings probably blue edged yellow
Blanket roll blue and white


Troopers were armed with a sword, a pistol and a carbine.

Officers

Uniforms of officers differed from those of privates and NCOs by the finer material used. Their waistcoat, saddle cloth and housings were edged with a wide golden braid. They always wore a tricorne notwithstanding the headgear worn by soldiers.

The regulation of 30 December 1704 specified the distinctive of each military rank:

  • colonel: a baton with a gold knob
  • lieutenant-colonel: a baton with a silver knob
  • sargento mayor: a baton with a silver topped knob
  • captain: silver or golden epaulettes (according to the metal colour of the regiment) on both shoulders
  • lieutenant: silver or golden epaulette (according to the metal colour of the regiment) on the right shoulder
  • cornet: silver or golden epaulette (according to the metal colour of the regiment) on the left shoulder

NCOs

The regulation of 30 December 1704 specified the distinctive of each military rank:

  • sergeant : baton without knob and halberd
  • mariscal de logis (quartermaster): small woolen epaulette (red or of the distinctive colour of the regiment)
  • brigadier: swagger stick
  • corporal of squadron: swagger stick
  • second corporal of squadron (rank suppressed in 1706): swagger stick

Musicians

no information found

Standards

no information found

References

This article is mostly made of abridged and adapted excerpts from the following books which are now in the public domain:

  • Clonard, Conde de, Historia Orgánica de las Armas de Infantería y Caballería, vol. XV, Madrid, 1851-62, pp. 188-196

Other sources

Dragonas Magazine

Acknowledgment

Jean-Pierre Loriot for the initial version of this article.