Origin and History
This gentleman's regiment was raised on July 1, 1671 after the Treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle, according to Turenne's instructions to raise several cavalry regiments.
In 1672, at the outbreak of the Franco-Dutch War (1672-78), the regiment (3 companies) joined Condé's Army. In 1673, it was transferred to the Army of Germany under Turenne. In 1674, it took part in the battles of Sinsheim, Entzheim and Mulhouse; in 1675, in the battles of Türkheim and Altenheim, and in the relief of Haguenau and Saverne. In 1676, the regiment joined the Army of Flanders and participated in the capture of Condé, Bouchain and Valenciennes. In 1677, it took part in the siege of Valenciennes, in the Battle of Cassel and in the capture of Saint-Omer; and in 1678, in the siege of Ghent and in the Battle of Saint-Denis.
In 1680 and 1681, the regiment was at the camp of Artois; and in 1682, at the camp of the Lauter. In 1684, it formed part of the corps which covered the operations in Luxembourg. From 1685 to 1687, the regiment was at the camp of the Saône.
In 1688, at the outbreak of the Nine Years' War (1688-97), the regiment took part in the siege of Philippsburg. It probably operated on the German frontier until the Treaty of Ryswick.
During the War of the Spanish Succession, the successive Mestres de Camp commanding the regiment were:
- from November 1689: Louis-Provence d'Adhémar de Monteils de Castellane, Marquis de Grignan
- from 13 October 1703: N. Marquis de Flesché
Service during the War
At the end of July 1701, the regiment was on the march from Upper Guelderland to join Boufflers' Army in the Low Countries. By October, it was quartered in Roermond. In December, it took up its winter-quarters in Antwerp.
In 1702, the regiment was allocated to the Army of Flanders. In April, the regiment was encamped between Antwerp and Lierre. In mid-May, it formed part of the army of the Marquis de Bedmar. On 11 June, the regiment was present at the engagement of Nijmegen. By 13 June, it was encamped near Aardenburg. As of 10 September, the regiment is mentioned at the camp of Beringen near Limbourg in the Low Countries. In December, it was quartered in Calais.
At the beginning of April 1703, the regiment formed part of the army of the Maréchal de Villeroy. On 30 June, the regiment fought in the Battle of Ekeren. On 20 September, it took part in the Battle of Höchstädt, where its mestre de camp distinguished itself. In November, at the death of the Marquis de Grignan, the regiment became the property of the Marquis de Flesché.
In April 1706, the regiment took part in the unsuccessful Siege of Barcelona.
From September to November 1707, the regiment took part in the Siege and capture of Lleida.
In 1710, the regiment took up its winter-quarters in Ampurdan and Roussillon.
At the beginning of June 1711, the regiment formed part of the troops of Lieutenant-General Comte Muret, who was ordered to cross the Pyrenees with the French troops who had taken their winter-quarters in Ampurdan and Roussillon and to march by way of Puigcerda to Lérida, where they should make a junction with Vendôme's Army.
- from 1671 to at least 1703 (maybe even 1738): crimson field embroidered and fringed in gold; centre device consisting of a flying rocket surmounted by a scroll bearing the motto “Che peri, pur che m'innalza”.
- from 1703 or 1738: crimson field embroidered and fringed in gold; centre device consisting of a golden royal sun surmounted by a scroll bearing the royal motto “Nec Pluribus Impar”.
Exceptionally, this regiment was the only one to have white cravates attached to its standards.
This article incorporates texts from the following books which are now in the public domain:
- Susane, Louis: Histoire de la cavalerie française, Vol. 2, J. Hetzel et Cie, Paris, 1874, pp. 115-122
- Pajol, Charles P. V.: Les Guerres sous Louis XV, vol. VII, Paris, 1891, pp. 335-336
Funcken, L. and F.: Les uniformes de la guerre en dentelle
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.