Grigny Cavalry

From Project WSS
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: War of the Spanish Succession (Main Page) >> Armies >> Spanish Army (Bourbon) >> Grigny Cavalry

Origin and History

According to an ordonnance issued on 3 March 1701, the company of the General de Caballeria del Ejercito de Flandes (General of cavalry of the army of Flanders) and the two companies of the lieutenants-generals were formed into a regiment.

At the creation of this regiment, the General de Caballeria del Ejercito de Flandes became its colonel while the captain of his company was promoted to colonel-commander.

N.B.: these three companies were previously known as the Guardia de los Generales and must not be confused with the Companias de los Gobernadores consisting of the Compania del Gobernador and the Compania del Gobernador de Armas.

During the War of the Spanish Succession, the successive colonels of the regiment were:

  • since 17 March 1701: Jean-Baptiste Bassecourt, Marquis de Grigny and Seigneur de Huby (appointed Gobernador de Armas of the Vice-Royalty of Naples on 22 February 1702, retired from service in 1706 at the age of 86 after 70 years in the Spanish service)
  • from 23 March 1703: Alexandre, Seigneur de Bay (promoted to General de Caballeria of the army of Spain on 28 March 1703 and served during the campaign of Portugal, was later appointed Captain-General of Extremadura)
  • from 18 April 1704: Comte d'Egmont
  • from 1704: Herman-François de Alpeterre
  • from 1706: Herman Lotear von Reiffenberg
  • from 1710 to 1715: Conde de Beaumont

The regiment was disbanded in 1715.

Service during the War

In the Spring of 1701, 2 squadrons of the regiment were stationed in the Spanish Netherlands. On 1 September, the regiment was reviewed for the first time. It then consisted of 3 squadrons.

By 18 April 1702, the regiment was part of the army of the Marquis de Bedmar. It was encamped between between Lierre and Aarschot behind the Line of the Nete. On 11 May, when Bedmar set off from Antwerp, the regiment was left behind at Antwerp under the command of M. de Ximenès. As of 17 September, the regiment formed part of Tallard's Army for the planned offensive on the Lower Rhine.

By 4 May 1703, the regiment was attached to the field army of Maréchal de Villeroy and Maréchal de Boufflers, in Grigny's Brigade in the second line of the cavalry right wing.

In 1710, the regiment was transferred from the Spanish Low Countries to Spain.

Uniform

no information found yet

Officers

Uniforms of officers differed from those of privates and NCOs by the finer material used. Their waistcoat, saddle cloth and housings were edged with a wide golden braid. They always wore a tricorne notwithstanding the headgear worn by soldiers.

The regulation of 30 December 1704 specified the distinctive of each military rank:

  • colonel: a baton with a gold knob
  • lieutenant-colonel: a baton with a silver knob
  • sargento mayor: a baton with a silver topped knob
  • captain: silver or golden epaulettes (according to the metal colour of the regiment) on both shoulders
  • lieutenant: silver or golden epaulette (according to the metal colour of the regiment) on the right shoulder
  • cornet: silver or golden epaulette (according to the metal colour of the regiment) on the left shoulder

NCOs

The regulation of 30 December 1704 specified the distinctive of each military rank:

  • sergeant : baton without knob and halberd
  • mariscal de logis (quartermaster): small woolen epaulette (red or of the distinctive colour of the regiment)
  • brigadier: swagger stick
  • corporal of squadron: swagger stick
  • second corporal of squadron (rank suppressed in 1706): swagger stick

Standards

no information found yet

References

Dragonas Magazine

Caballipedia - Regimiento de Caballería Grigny

N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.

Acknowledgement

Jean-Pierre Loriot for the initial version of this article.