Origin and History
This regiment was raised in Lower Austria in accordance with a patent dated 15 March 1683. Two hundred men of the Saurau Dragoons, along with 100 men from each of the dragoon regiments Schulz, Castell and Kuffstein constituted the kernel of this new regiment.
In 1683, during the Great Turkish War (1683–1699) the regiment took part in the battle on Bisamberg, in the relief of Vienna and in the combat at Parkány. From 1685 to 1687, it served in Inner Austria and saw no action. In 1688, it campaigned in Transylvania and suffered severe losses in the battle of Tohány. In 1691, the regiment received 500 men contributed by the Landschaftsdrasgoner (dragoon militia) of Lower Austria. In 1692, it took part in the siege of Grosswardein. In 1694, it once more served in Transylavania, and fought under the command of FML Veterani.
Since its creation, the successive proprietors of the regiment were:
- from 1683: Louis de Bannerot, Count Herbéviller
- from 1709 until 1739: Franz Count Jörger von Tollet
During the War of the Spanish Succession, the regiment was successively commanded by:
- from 1698: Heinrich de Battée
- from 1705: Franz Count Jörger von Tollet
- from 1708: N.N. Falaize
- from 1709 until 1716: Franz Count Jörger von Tollet (proprietor of the regiment)
The regiment was disbanded in 1802, the colonel division was transformed into chevauxlegers (the latter HR no. 16), the lieutenant-colonel division into CHR "Kaiser" (the latter UR no. 6) and the major division also into chevauxlegers (the latter DR no. 10).
Service during the War
In 1702, the regiment took part in the campaign in Northern Italy. On 26 July, it fought in the Combat of Santa Vittoria. On 15 August, it took part in the Battle of Luzzara, where it initially formed part of the rearguard. At the beginning of the battle, the Prince of Vaudémont formed a flank to his left with several cavalry units, including the present regiment.
In 1703, the regiment took part in the campaign in Northern Italy and in South Tyrol.
In 1704, the regiment took part in the campaign in Lombardy.
In 1705, the regiment formed part of the army of Prince Eugène. On 16 August, it fought in the Battle of Cassano, where it was deployed on the extreme right wing of the first line, under Major-General Prince von Lothringen.
In August 1706, the regiment took part in an action near Piacenza. On 7 September, it fought in the decisive Battle of Turin.
In 1708, the regiment was sent to Spain.
On 27 July 1710, the regiment took part in the Battle of Almenar, where three of its squadrons were deployed in Major-General Galves’ brigade on the right wing of the first line. On 20 August, it supposedly fought in the Battle of Saragossa, but we can find no trace of this unit in the order of battle. On 10 December, it was at the disastrous Combat of Villaviciosa.
In 1714, the regiment was sent to Hungary, where it garrisoned in the Komitat (county) of Wieselburg (present-day Moson vármegye).
|Headgear||black tricorne laced yellow
To distinguish soldiers (from corporal down to privates) of each company, a button or rosette at the colour of the company was attached to the tricorne. As a field sign, green foliage was attached to the tricorne in summer and a wisp of straw in the winter.
The tricorne was worn only in the service, otherwise soldiers always wore a Holz-Kappe (fatigue cap). Hair had to be of a standard length and tied with a black ribbon.
|Coat||blue with yellow lining; copper buttons along the right side and one copper button on each side in the small of the back
|Waistcoat||red with copper buttons. In summer, it was replaced by a linen cloth waistcoat.|
Troopers were armed with a double-edged backsword, a pair of pistols, a musket and a bayonet.
The riding mantle was white with a collar in the same colour as the cuffs of the coat.
no information found yet
Uniforms of officers differed from those of the privates and NCOs by the finer material used and by the following distinctions:
- black tricorne laced gold and bordered with a white plumetis
Officers wore a black and yellow silk sash across the chest or around the waist.
Drummers were dressed according to the regiment owner's tastes. They often wore brightly coloured uniforms with:
- a plumed black round slouch hat
- a curled periwig down to the shoulders
- a white cravat
From 1657 to 1705, all Austrian (Imperial) dragoon regiments carried the same white Leibstandarte (colonel standard). It was fringed in gold and, on both sides, the border was decorated with a golden floral pattern:
- obverse (right): centre design consisted of an armed black Imperial double-eagle with the arms of Austria on a shield, surmounted by a crown and by the motto "Pro Deo Et Cesarem"
- reverse (left): the Mother of God (which had been declared the patroness of the army by Kaiser Ferdinand III) on a cloud and surrounded by rays
From 1657 to 1705, the obverse (right side) of the Ordinärestandarten (regimental standards) of all Austrian (Imperial) dragoon regiments was of an identical pattern and consisted of an armed black Imperial double-eagle with the arms of Austria on a shield, surmounted by a crown. The border of the obverse was decorated with a floral pattern in the metal colour of the regiment.
Wrede, A v.: Geschichte der K. und K. Wehrmacht, file III./2, pp 689ff, Vienna 1901
Donath, Rudolf; Die Kaiserliche und Kaiserlich-Königliche Österreichische Armee 1618-1918, 2. Aufl., Simbach/Inn 1979 , p. B.3
Harald Skala for the initial version of this article