Origin and History
The regiment was raised in 1688 by the Count of Nassau-Weilburg. It numbered six companies and soon became known as the "Yellow Dragoons".
In 1689, the regiment became the property of von Kettler, and, in 1694 of von Tettau. From 1696, it was owned by the Prince of Hessen-Homburg.
In 1696, the regiment incorporated the former "Red Dragoons" of Count von der Lippe-Brake.
During the War of the Spanish Succession, the regimental Chefs were:
- from 1696: Prince Phillip von Hessen-Homburg (killed in action at the Combat of Speyerbach on 15 November 1703)
- from 1704 to 1731: Georg Friedrich von Auerochs
In 1813, the regiment was incorporated in the Leib-Dragoner.
Service during the War
In 1702, the regiment was augmented from six to eight companies.
On 15 November 1703, the chef of the regiment, the Prince von Hessen-Homburg was killed in action at the Combat of Speyerbach.
In 1704, the regiment became the property of Auerochs. On August 13, it took part in the Battle of Blenheim where, along with the Erbprinz Dragoons, it furiously charged and succeeded in capturing the French Maréchal Tallard.
On 8 September 1706, the regiment took part in the Battle of Castiglione.
By 1708, the regiment consisted of 8 companies organised in 4 squadrons. On 11 July, it fought in the Battle of Oudenarde.
On 11 September 1709, the regiment took part in the Battle of Malplaquet.
Witzel, Rudolf: Hessen Kassels Regimenter in der Allierten Armee 1762, bearb. u. hrsg. von Ingo Kroll, Norderstedt 2007, pp. 188-189
Zeitschrift des Vereins für hessische Geschichte und Landeskunde, Volume 8, Kassel 1860, p. 215
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.
Jörg Meier for additional info on the commanders of the regiment