Heyden Infantry

From Project WSS
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: War of the Spanish Succession (Main Page) >> Armies >> Prussian Army >> Heyden Infantry

Origin and History

In May 1683, Colonel Alexander Prince von Kurland raised a battalion (four companies) in East Prussia.

On 21 January 1685, when several infantry regiments returned to Prussia, soldiers from these regiments were transferred to the present regiment to form its second battalion. The regiment was destined to participate in the Great Turkish War (1683-99).

In 1689, the regiment contributed a battalion for the creation of the Alt-Dohna Infantry Regiment.

In 1695, during the Nine Years' War (1688-97), the regiment took part in the Siege of Namur.

Did you know that...
Johann Friedrich was the son of Lieutenant-Colonel Gottfried von Heyden, Lord of Schönrath and Börke Castle, and his wife Odilia, née von Kettler. He was the brother of Johann Sigismund. Both were not related to Johann Sigmund von Heyden, who commanded the Heyden Horse from 1692 to 1718.

Since its creation, the successive regimental Chefs were:

  • from 1683: Colonel Alexander Prince von Kurland
  • from 1689: Major-General Johann Friedrich Baron von Heyden (in 1702 he had to leave the Prussian service)
  • from 1703: Lieutenant-General Friedrich Hereditary Prince von Hessen
  • from 11 January 1714: Major-General Georg Prince von Hessen-Kassel

After the War of the Spanish Succession, the regiment garrisoned Bielefeld and Herford in Westphalia.

The numbering system (Stammliste) was first used by Leopold I., Fürst von Anhalt-Dessau (Der alte Dessauer) in the Dessauer Spezifikation from 1737. Around 1780 the numbers were used in the printed Stammlisten, still with some variations for the fusilier regiments. It became official by "Cabinets-Ordre" from October 1, 1806. The present infantry regiment was attributed number 10.

Service during the War

In 1702, the regiment contributed soldiers to the Schlabrendorff Infantry Regiment.

In 1703, the regiment formed part of the Prussian Contingent subsidized jointly by the Dutch Republic and Great Britain. It would serve in this contingent until 1713. In May 1703, the regiment is already reported in the Low Countries.

In August 1706, the regiment took part in the Siege of Menin.

On 11 July 1708, one battalion of the regiment was present at the Battle of Oudenarde.

From July to September 1709, the regiment was present at theSiege of Tournai. On 11 September, it fought in the Battle of Malplaquet. In September and October, it took part in the Siege of Mons.

In April and May 1710, the regiment took part in the Siege of Douai. In June and August, it was present at the Siege of Béthune. From September to November, it took part in the Siege of Aire-sur-la-Lys.

From 9 August and 12 September 1711, the regiment took part in the Siege of Bouchain.

In 1712, part of the regiment was stationed in Brabant, and saw no action. Meanwhile, on 15 October, the rest of the regiment took part in landing operations on the Island of Rügen.

In 1713, the part of the regiment which was stationed in Brabant returned to Prussia.

Uniforms

From 1700, each Prussian unit started to wear a distinguishing uniform. A regulation was issued in 1709 to standardize the uniform and equipment.

Colours

To do

References

Wikipedia German Edition – Altpreußisches Infanterieregiment No. 10 (1806)

Nelke, Reinhard: Preussen

N.B.: the section Service during the War is partly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.

Acknowledgegent

Harald Skala for the initial version of this article