Origin and History
This regiment was raised in 1684 for Paul Anton Baron von Houchin. In 1686 and 1687, during the Great Turkish War, it took part in the blockade of Erlau and Mungacs; in 1689, it was in the second line at the Battle of Pataci on the Morawa, and at Nissa; in 1692, it took part in the siege of Grosswardein; in 1696, in the Battle of Ollasch; in 1697 in the Battle of Zenta where it distinguished itself.
In 1699, the regiment became the property of Wirich Philipp Lorenz Count von Daun.
By the time of the War of the Spanish Succession, the regiment counted four battalions.
During the War of the Spanish Succession, the proprietors of the regiment were:
- since 1699 till 1741: Wirich Philipp Lorenz Count von Daun aka Jung-Daun before 1711
N.B.: from 1711 the regiment was known as "Alt-Daun"
Service during the War
In mid-February 1701, the regiment marched from Hungary through Carinthia by Linz and Botzen (present-day Bolzano). At the end of March, it had reached in South Tyrol. By the beginning of May, it was stationed in Trento. On the morning of 27 May, when Prince Eugène de Savoie launched the invasion of Northern Italy, the regiment was attached to Daun's Corps who marched from Ala to Borghetto where it waited for further instructions. On 6 June, the regiment arrived at Eugène's camp near San Martino. On 19 June, it was sent to reinforce Herberstein at Bevilacqua. By 5 July, the regiment was posted at Castelbaldo. By 15 July, it had rejoined the main army where it was deployed in the second line of the centre. On 27 July, when the Imperial army passed the Mincio, the regiment was attached to the second division of the left wing. On 1 September, the regiment fought in the Battle of Chiari where it was deployed between Chiari and the Trenzano Stream. On 3 December, a detachment of the regiment was at the capture of Canneto. In the night of 13 to 14 December, the regiment was part of an Imperial corps who passed to the right bank of the Po with instructions to occupy Guastalla. On 14 December, 2 battalions of the regiment occupied Luzzara while the 2 others guarded the bridge on the Po. On 16 December, the entire regiment assembled at Luzzara where it took its winter-quarters.
In 1702, the regiment took part in the campaign in Northern Italy. On 1 February, it was attached to Vaudémont's Corps who arrived too late to take part in the failed attempt to capture Cremona. At the beginning of July, Captain Pflug at the head of 50 men defended the entrenchments at Viedana against 400 attackers. On August 15, 2 battalions of the regiment fought in the Battle of Luzzara where they were deployed on the left wing of the second line of infantry.
In 1704, the regiment campaigned in Piedmont where it took part in the attack of the trenches at Verva.
In 1706, the regiment took part in the relief of Turin.
In 1707, the regiment took part in the storming of Gaeta in the Kingdom of Naples.
|Coat||pearl grey with red lining; yellow buttons on the right side and 1 yellow button on each side in the small of the back
|Waistcoat||pearl grey with yellow buttons|
|Stockings||red fastened under the knee with a natural leather strap|
|Gaiters||made of canvas and used only when the soldier wore linen breeches; in this case, the stockings were replaced by linen socks; the use of gaiters generalized much later|
Armaments consisted of a musket and a bayonet. Grenadiers were also armed with hand grenades.
According to Czegka, in 1716 the Hofkriegsrat enquiried to all regiments to know how to accoutre recruits with the proper uniform before sending them to their unit. For the present regiment, the following uniform is described:
- black tricorne laced white
- red neck stock
- pearl grey coat with white lining, white cuffs with 3 brass buttons, and 6 brass buttons arranged 1-2-3
- red waistcoat
- red breeches
- white stockings
NCOs carried a spontoon (half-pike). They were also armed with a Stossdegen (a long two-edged estoc or rapier) carried in a black leather scabbard attached to the waist-belt.
NCOs of grenadier companies carried a flintlock musket instead of the spontoon.
NCOs also carried a cane whose characteristics indicated their precise rank. This cane had the length of a walking stick and was carried in and out of service. In action, to free hands, the cane was hanged to a button of the coat. Grenadier sergeants and fouriers were distinguished from privates by three silver braids on the bag of their bearskin.
Uniforms of officers were always of finer cloth than those of the privates.
Officers wore a black and yellow silk sash across the chest or around the waist.
Lieutenants of the grenadier companies were distinguished from privates and NCOs by four golden braids on the bag of their bearskin; captains by five golden braids on their bearskin.
Officers carried a partisan. The partisan was decorated with a tassel: gold for the colonel, gold with silver fringe for the lieutenant-colonel, gold and silken fringe for captains and silken fringe for lieutenants. In some regiments, the captains' tassel was entirely of silk; in this case the lieutenants' partisan had no tassel. The partisans of staff officers had gilt butt caps.
Officers were also armed with a Stossdegen (a long two-edged estoc or rapier) carried in a black leather scabbard attached to the waist-belt.
Officers carried a cane whose characteristics indicated their precise rank. This cane had the length of a walking stick and was carried in and out of service. In action, to free hands, the cane was hanged to a button of the coat.
Officers of grenadier companies carried a flintlock musket instead of the partisan. Captains, lieutenants and sergeants of these companies always had their bayonet affixed to their musket.
In the field, officers carried a pair of pistols.
In the Austrian Army of the time, musicians often wore uniforms in reverse colours with the distinctive colour of the regiment used for the coat.
The drum belt was usually brown and worn on the right shoulder.
no information found
Abtheilung für Kriegsgeschichte des k. k. Kriegs-Archives: Feldzüge des Prinzen Eugen von Savoyen, Series 1, Vol. 1, Vienna 1875, pp. 212-218, 222-227
Czegka, Eduard: Uniformen der kaiserlichen Infanterie unter Prinz Eugen. in: Zeitschrift für Heereskunde 49-51, 1933, pp. 459-473
Donath, Rudolf; Die Kaiserliche und Kaiserlich-Königliche Österreichische Armee 1618-1918, 2. Aufl., Simbach/Inn 1979
Gräffer, August: Geschichte der kaiserl. Königl. Regimenter, Corps, Bataillons und anderer Militär-Branchen seit ihrer Errichtung biz zu Ende des Feldzuges 1799, Vol. 1, Vienna, 1804, pp. 239-243
Hall, Robert and Giancarlo Boeri: Uniforms and Flags of the Imperial Austrian Army 1683-1720, 2008
Schematismus für das kaiserliche und königliche Heer und für die kaiserliche und königliche Kriegs-Marine für 1893, Vienna 1893, p. 430
Seyfart, Kurzgefaßte Geschichte aller kaiserlich-königlichen Regimenter zu Pferde und zu Fuß, Frankfurth and Leipzig, 1762, pp. 18-19
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.