Krassow Dragoons

From Project WSS
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: War of the Spanish Succession (Main Page) >> Armies >> Mecklenburg Army >> Krassow Dragoons

Origin and History

In Mecklenburg, under Duke Christian Louis, there was a mounted bodyguard ("Leibgarde zu Pferde") about the strength of a weak squadron. It was disbanded in 1702.

Adam Philipp von Krassow
Adam Philipp von Krassow entered the service of Duke Friedrich Wilhelm I of Mecklenburg-Schwerin in 1699. In Mecklenburg, he raised a regiment of dragoons, of which he was appointed colonel in 1702. In 1703, Krassow and his regiment were in Prussian pay.

In 1704, the Duke of Mecklenburg gave Krassow command of another cavalry regiment belonging to the Imperial Contingent (Meerheimb Horse). In 1704, Krassow fought in the Battle of Blenheim and was awarded the "Order de la Générosité" by the Prussian king.

In 1705, after his return to Mecklenburg, Krassow was promoted by the Duke to brigadier, and ceded his dragoons to Colonel von Wedell but remained owner of the Krassow Horse assigned to the Imperial Contingent. Personally, he did not participate in any campaigns from that time.

When Duke Frederick William raised an entire Cavalry regiment, he commissioned Colonel von Krassow, who had previously been in Swedish service, and transferred to him the remnants of the bodyguard as the nucleus of the new regiment. This unit was now supplemented and formed the "Leib-Compagnie" of the new regiment, which received the name "Leib-Regiment zu Pferde". It was originally a dragoon regiment and consisted of six companies, each of 100 men. Two additional companies under von Krassow and von Meerheimb were added. In September 1702 this regiment was reformed and with the addition of further recruits split into two regiments, one of which - under von Meerheimb - now became the Meerheimb Horse. The dragoons went by lot to von Krassow.

In 1703, as a result of a subsidy treaty with Prussia, the dragoon regiment was assigned to the corps under the supreme command of the Prince of Baden. Prussia took over the salary and provisions of the regiment and had to pay 70 Thalers for each missing man. The subsidy treaty with Prussia ended in 1704 and from that time the unit was again in the service of Mecklenburg.

The regiment numbered 248 men in four companies plus a staff of 5 officers for a total of 253 men.

During the War of the Spanish Succession, the commanders of the regiment were:

  • from 1701: Adam Philipp von Krassow (wounded at Blenheim in August 1704)
  • from 1705: von Wedell (died in March 1709)
  • from 1717: Johann William von Vietinghoff

Service during the War

In 1703, the King of Prussian sent the regiment to reinforce the Imperial troops campaigning on the Upper Rhine. It was initially posted at Nuremberg. It then took part in the combat of Weldingen. On 20 September, it fought in the Battle of Höchstädt.

On 2 July 1704, the regiment was present at the Battle of the Schellenberg. On 13 August, it fought in the Battle of Blenheim,

In 1705, the regiment returned to Dömitz in the Principality of Mecklenburg.

Uniform

Troopers

Uniform Details in 1702 as per Robert Hall
Headgear black hat bordered yellow
Neck stock black
Coat grey-white with blue lining probably with copper buttons (based on the colour of the border of the hat)
Collar none
Lapels none
Pockets no information found
Cuffs blue, each with copper buttons
Turnbacks none
Waistcoat blue
Breeches natural goat leather
Leather Equipment
Gloves no information found
Cross-belt natural leather
Waist-belt natural leather
Cartridge Pouch no information found
Scabbard no information found
Footgear no information found
Horse Furniture
Saddlecloth blue
Housings blue


In 1703, the regiment received different uniforms: black hat laced yellow, black neck cloth, blue coat with blue lining, blue cuffs, blue waistcoat, breeches of natural goat leather, blue saddlecloth and housings.

NCOs

no information found yet

Officers

no information found yet

Musicians

no information found yet

Standards

According to Voss (p. 294), in 1703 and 1704, when the regiment was in Prussian pay, it received new standards with the coat of arms of Mecklenburg on one side and the Imperial coat of arms (Reichswappen) on the other.

Tentative Reconstruction
Regimental Standard - Copyright: Kronoskaf

References

Bohlen, Julius von: Geschichte des adlichen, freiherrlichen und gräflichen Geschlechts von Krassow. Berlin 1853, pp. 82-96

Hall, Robert: Mecklenburg’s Military from 1650 to 1719, s.l., 2003

Schäfer, Ernst: Mecklenburgs Militärwesen vor und in den Freiheitskriegen In: Jahrbücher des Vereins für Mecklenburgische Geschichte und Altertumskunde, Band 80 (1915), pp. 97-114

Tessin, Georg: Geschichte des Mecklenburgischen Militärwesens 1648-1718 thesis, Rostock 1922

Tessin, Georg: Mecklenburgisches Militär in Türken und Franzosenkriegen 1648-1718, Cologne 1966.

Tessin, Georg: Mecklenburgische Uniformen vor 1718 in “Zeitschrift für Heereskunde” 1980, pp. 75ff

Voss, E. von: Beiträge zur Meklenburgischen Fahnenkunde, In: Jahrbücher des Vereins für Mecklenburgische Geschichte und Altertumskunde, Band 45 (1880), pp. 291-314

Wikipedia – German Edition – Adam Philipp von Krassow

N.B.: the section Service during the War is partly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges and partly from the work of Robert Hall

Acknowledgement

Jörg Meier for the initial version of this article

Wienand Drenth for providing substantial information on the army of Mecklenburg