Lévis Cavalerie

From Project WSS
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: War of the Spanish Succession (Main Page) >> Armies >> French Army >> Lévis Cavalerie

Origin and History

The regiment was raised on 1 March 1674 by Victor-Maurice Comte de Broglie.

In 1674, during the Franco-Dutch War (1672-1678), the regiment took part in the Battle of Seneffe. It was then transferred to the Rhine and fought in the Battle of Mulhouse. In 1675, it took part in the capture of Limbourg. In 1676, the regiment became the property of the House of Lévis.

In 1688, at the outbreak of the Nine Years' War (1688-97), the regiment took part in the capture of Philippsburg, Mannheim and Frankenthal; in 1689, in the relief of Mainz; in 1690, in the Battle of Fleurus; in 1691, in the siege of Mons, in 1692, in the siege of Namur, in the Battle of Steenkerque and in the bombardment of Charleroi; and in 1693, in the sieges of Huy and Charleroi and in the Battle of Landen. In 1694 and 1695, it campaigned in Flanders; and in 1696 and 1697, on the Rhine.

In 1698, the regiment was at the camp of Coudun, near Compiègne.

On the eve of the War of the Spanish Succession, the regiment consisted of two squadrons.

During the War of the Spanish Succession, the successive Mestres de Camp commanding the regiment were:

  • from 30 December 1689: Charles-Eugène Marquis de Lévis
  • from 28 March 1704: N. de Bernières de La Vaupalière
  • from 1707: Du Bessay
  • from 1713 to 1717: De Novion

Service during the War

In 1701, the regiment returned to Germany.

In February and March 1703, the regiment took part in the siege of Kehl. In April, it took part in the attack of the Lines of Stollhofen. On 20 September, it fought in the Battle of Höchstädt.

In March 1704, the regiment became the property of M. de La Vaupalière. It was sent to a camp in the vicinity of Metz. On 13 August, it fought in the disastrous Battle of Blenheim.

In 1705, the regiment was sent to Flanders.

In 1706, the regiment was sent to Piedmont.

In 1707, the regiment served on the Rhine. It was now named Bessay.

In the spring of 1708, the regiment was posted in Roussillon. From June to July, it was present at the Siege of Tortosa.

In 1710, the regiment returned to the region of Metz.

On 24 July 1712, the regiment was present at the [[1712-07-24 – Battle of Denain|Battle of Denain}}. In August and September, it was at the Siege of Douai; in September and October, at the Second Siege of Le Quesnoy; and in October, at the Siege of Bouchain.

In 1713, the regiment was allocated to the Army of Germany and contributed to the capture of Landau and Freiburg.

Uniform

no information found yet

Standards

Regimental standards (4 silken standards): red field, embroidered and fringed in gold

  • obverse: centre device consisting of a golden royal sun surmounted by a scroll bearing the royal motto “Nec Pluribus Impar”
  • reverse: centre device depicting the Blessed Virgin with the motto “Aide Dieu, au second Chrétien Levy”
Tentative Reconstruction
Regimental Standard - Copyright: Kronoskaf

References

This article incorporates texts from the following books which are now in the public domain:

  • Susane, Louis: Histoire de la cavalerie française, Vol. 2, J. Hetzel et Cie, Paris, 1874, pp. 145-152
  • Pajol, Charles P. V.: Les Guerres sous Louis XV, vol. VII, Paris, 1891, p. 340

Other sources

Funcken, L. and F.: Les uniformes de la guerre en dentelle

N.B.: the section Service during the War is partly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.