Lord Lucas's Foot
Origin and History
The regiment was raised in Norfolk, Essex and the adjoining counties on 12 February 1702 as the "Lord Lucas's Regiment of Foot". It initially consisted of 12 companies, each of 3 officers and 66 NCOs and soldiers. One wing of the regiment had its rendezvous at Colchester, and the other at Norwich.
During the War of the Spanish Succession, the successive proprietors of the regiment were:
- from 12 February 1702: Colonel Robert, 3rd Baron Lucas (died on 31 January 1705)
- from 1 February 1705: Brigadier-General Hans Hamilton (former lieutenant-colonel of the Earl of Derby’s Foot)
- from 30 November 1712 to 18 February 1723: Colonel Thomas Chudleigh
The regiment was disbanded in 1713 but soon re-formed in July 1715 with its former seniority.
Service during the War
In May 1702, the regiment had to send five companies to Landguard Fort, Sheerness and Tilbury to relieve the Prince George of Denmark's Foot who had been ordered to embark for the Isle of Wight in preparation for the expedition against Cádiz. At the same time, the seven other companies of the present regiment were ordered to relieve a detachment of the 1st Foot Guards on duty at the Tower of London; two companies were afterwards detached to Dover Castle. In November, when the expedition returned from Spain, the regiment was relieved from duty and quartered in the Tower from whence it detached 300 men to the West Indies to complete Ventris Columbine's Foot. In December, the present regiment proceeded into Essex to recruit, the headquarters being established at Chelmsford.
In the spring of 1703, the ranks of the regiment being completed, it marched to Hull, Berwick and Carlisle.
In 1704, the regiment was stationed in Hull, Berwick and Carlisle.
In May 1705, the regiment embarked on board the fleet under Sir Cloudesly Shovel, with the force commanded by General the Earl of Peterborough, either to aid Duke Victor Amadeus II of Savoy against the French in Italy, to make an attempt on Naples and Sicily, or to effect a landing on the coast of Spain. After the arrival of the fleet at Lisbon in June, it was finally resolved to make an attempt on the coast of Catalonia. At the end of July, the amphibious force stopped at Gibraltar where it was reinforced with additional troops. Colonel Hans Hamilton of the regiment was nominated quarter-master-general of the expedition. When the fleet proceeded to the Bay of Altea in Valencia, Peterborough was induced to undertake the siege of Barcelona. On 23 and 24 August, the troops were landed near the Bassoz River and started to invest Barcelona. In the night of 13 September, the grenadiers of the regiment took part in the storming of the detached Fortress of Montjuich. Barcelona finally surrendered. The regiment was then selected to form part of the garrison of Tortosa.
In the early part of 1706, the regiment quitted its quarters at Tortosa and was employed in several movements. On 30 and 31 March, the regiment force marched to join the garrison of Barcelona before the arrival of a Franco-Spanish army who invested the city. On 1 April, the regiment repulsed an attack on the outworks of Fort Montjuich. It took part in the defence of Barcelona until 12 May when a Anglo-Dutch fleet relieved the place. The regiment then embarked for Valencia to join the expedition against Madrid. After landing, it contributed a number of men to the newly established Earl of Peterborough’s Dragoons. The army then advanced on Madrid but was forced to retire to Valencia and Murcia.
In the spring of 1707, after transferring its fit privates to other units, the regiment returned to England to recruit.
In the spring of 1708, the regiment was stationed in the south of England. It was selected to proceed to Scotland to fight a potential Jacobite Rising. On its way, it was stopped at Leeds and ordered to return from Yorkshire to take part in an expedition against the French coast. It proceeded to the Isle of Wight where, on 19 July, it was reviewed by Major-General Erle. It then embarked aboard the fleet. In the early part of August, the expedition approached the coast of France and effected a landing before withdrawing towards England. The regiment was then sent to Ostend in Flanders where it arrived on 21 September and entrenched at Leffinghen. Vendôme finally drove the British out of Leffinghen and the regiment embarked from Ostend for Antwerp.
In 1709, the regiment, being composed of young soldiers, was employed on garrison duty in Flanders.
In April 1710, the regiment joined Marlborough’s Allied Army and took part in the passage of the French lines at Pont-à-Vendin and in the siege of Douai which surrendered on 27 June. During the siege, the regiment lost 1 subaltern, 6 sergeants and 75 men killed; and 2 captains, 3 subalterns, 5 sergeants and 120 men wounded. The regiment then took part in the siege of Béthune which surrendered before the end of August. The regiment was subsequently employed in covering the sieges and capture of Aire and Saint-Venant.
In April 1711, the regiment quitted its winter-quarters in the Walloon region. On June 8, it was reviewed by Marlborough at the camp of Warde. It was formed in brigade with Lord North and Grey’s Foot, North British Fusiliers and the Wynne’s Foot under Brigadier-General Hamilton. The regiment took part in the passage of the French lines at Arleux and in the siege of Bouchain which capitulated in mid-September. After repairing the fortifications of Bouchain, it took up its winter-quarters.
Early in April 1712, the regiment took the field and joined the army under the command of the Duke of Ormond, who entered into Picardie and encamped at Cateau-Cambresis. A suspension of arm was proclaimed between the British and the French and Ormond’s Army withdrew to Ghent. On August 4, the regiment was detached from the camp near Ghent, with several other units, under Lieutenant-General the Earl of Orkney, to Dunkerque.
In 1713, the regiment was withdrawn from Dunkerque and proceeded to Great Britain where it was disbanded and its officers placed on half-pay.
There were still no regulation concerning uniforms and colonels were responsible for the clothing of their soldiers. Therefore, there were wide variations from one regiment to another.
Hairs were worn long in a “long bob”. They were sometimes tied at the back of the neck. The hair bag was also already in use.
Men as well as officers were clean-shaven. Officers sometimes wore small moustaches.
|Neck stock||knotted white linen neck-cloth with ends hanging or tucked into the top of the coat|
|Coat||red lined with white with pewter buttons along the full length of the right side and 1 pewter button on each side in the small of the back
N.B.: the coats of grenadiers had white tufted laced loops ornamenting the buttonholes down to the waist
|Waistcoat||long grey waistcoat with pewter buttons|
|Stockings||during campaigns, a first pair of finer stockings was pulled up under the breeches at the knees while a coarser pair of white stockings was worn over them, pulled over the knees and fastened with a leather strap and buckle|
|Gaiters||gaiters were gradually adopted during the campaigns in the Low Countries|
Musketeers were armed with a musket without sling, a bayonet and a sword. Grenadiers were armed with a firelock with a sling, a hatchet, a bayonet and grenades.
NCOs wore uniforms almost identical to those of privates with the following differences:
- tricorne laced silver
- silver braids on the seams of the coat
Sergeants initially carried a halberd and corporals a musket. Gradually, all NCOs were equipped with musket.
Officers wore beaver tricornes laced gold (probably reserved to superior officers) or silver (probably reserved to subaltern officers). They also wore the fashionable full flowing curled wigs. On service they usually plaited their wig.
A large gorget was worn around the neck tied with ribbons. The gorget was gilt for captains, black studded with gold for lieutenants and silver for ensigns.
Officers usually wore uniforms somewhat similar to those of privates (even though there were not yet any regulation compelling them to do so), made of finer material. Their coats were decorated with gold or silver braids down the seams and on the sleeves; and with gold or silver embroidered buttonholes. Cuffs were usually of the same colour as the coat instead of the distinctive colour of the regiment.
The waistcoats of officers were often decorated with gold or silver fringes.
A crimson sash (often interwoven with gold or silver and fringed similarly) was worn around the waist.
Breeches were tied with rosettes below the knee.
Officers wore gloves, often decorated with gold or silver fringes.
Officers carried a sword and a half pike or a spontoon.
The cartouche box of officers were often covered in velvet and decorated with gold or silver embroideries.
Drummers and hautboys usually wore coat of the facing colour of the regiment, decorated with lace on the seams of sleeves and back and on the buttonholes. Their coat was decorated with the crowned King's cypher or the Colonel's crest embroidered on the breast and back. Sometimes their coat had hanging sleeves.
no information found
This article is essentially an abridged and adapted version of the following book which is in the public domain:
- Cannon, Richard: Historical record of the Thirty-Fourth or, The Cumberland Regiment of Foot, London: Parker, Furnivall and Parker, 1844
Farmer, John S.: The Regimental Records of the British Army, London: Grant Richards, 1901
Fortescue, J. W.: A History of the British Army, Vol. I, MacMillan, London, 1899, p. 400
Lawson, Cecil C. P.: A History of the Uniforms of the British Army, Vol. 1 From the beginning to 1760, London: Kaye & Ward, pp. 12-54, 81
Mills, T. F., Land Forces of Britain the Empire and Commonwealth (an excellent website which unfortunately seems to have disappeared from the web)
Wikipedia - 34th (Cumberland) Regiment of Foot