Monmouth (64)

From Project WSS
Revision as of 22:44, 1 June 2015 by RCouture (talk | contribs) (Created page with "<small>Hierarchical Path: War of the Spanish Succession (Main Page) >> Navies >> British Navy >> {{PAGENAME}}</small> ==Origin and His...")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: War of the Spanish Succession (Main Page) >> Navies >> British Navy >> Monmouth (64)

Origin and History

The ship was built by Phineas Pett II at Chatham Dockyard and launched in 1667.

During the Second Anglo-Dutch War (1665-1667), in June 1667, the ship took part in the defence of the Medway.

During the Franco-Dutch War (1672-78), on 7 June 1672, the ship fought in the Battle of Solebay. On 21 August 1673, she took part in the Battle of Texel.

During the Nine Years' War, at the end of May 1692, the ship fought in the Battle of Barfleur.

In 1700, the ship was rebuilt by Fisher Harding at Woolwich Dockyard.

During the War of the Spanish Succession, the ship was under the command of:

  • from 1701 1702: Captain Edward Bibb
  • from 3 October 1701: Captain John Baker
  • from 1708 to 1709: Captain John Edwards
  • in 1711: Captain John Mitchell
  • in 1712: Captain Peter Chamberlain
  • in 1713: Captain Francis Hosier

The ship was broken up and rebuilt as a 70-gun at Portsmouth Dockyard in 1716 and launched in 1718.

Service during the War

In August 1702, the ship was part of the powerful combined fleet assembled for the unsuccessful expedition against Cádiz. On its way home, this fleet captured the largest part of the plate-fleet in the Battle of Vigo Bay where Vice-Admiral Hopsonn transferred his flag from the Torbay (80) to the Monmouth (66). The entered the harbour when the fight was nearly over.

In July 1704, the ship took part in the capture of Gibraltar. On 24 August 1704, she was present at the Battle of Málaga.

At the end of July 1707, the ship took part in the Battle of Toulon. On 2 November, on her way home with the fleet of Admiral Sir Cloudesley Shovell, she managed to avoid the rocks off the Isles of Scilly and to reach Portsmouth with little damage.

In May 1708, the ship sailed for Jamaica.

In 1711, the ship, attached to the fleet of Rear Admiral Sir Hovenden Walker, took part in the expedition against Québec. She sailed from St. Helens for Boston, escorting 33 transports carrying more than 5,000 men. On 24 June, the fleet arrived at Boston. By 18 August, it was off Gaspé Bay, waiting for favourable conditions to sail upstream towards Québec. On 21 August, the fleet, sailing through a thick fog, ran into rocks and islands of the north shore of the Saint-Laurent, losing 8 transports. On 23 August, the fleet sailed back to the Spanish river in Cape Breton Island. It then sailed for St. Helens where it arrived on 9 October. By November, the ship was back at Portsmouth for small repairs which were completed in April 1712.


Technical specifications
Guns 64 (in 1703)
Lower gundeck 24 x culverin
Upper gundeck 26 x demi-culverin
Quarterdeck 10 x 6-pdrs
Forecastle 4 x 6-pdrs
Crew 440 men
Length at gundeck 147 ft 6 in (44.96 m)
Width 38 ft (11.58 m)
Depth 16 ft (4.88 m)
Displacement 944 Tons (Builder's Old Measurement)


Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy

Harrison, Simon and Manuel Blasco, Three Decks - Warships in the Age of Sail


N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.