Orléanais Infanterie

From Project WSS
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: War of the Spanish Succession (Main Page) >> Armies >> French Army >> Orléanais Infanterie

Origin and History

The regiment was created on 1 January 1693 and given to René, Marquis de Mailly. It took the name of “Orléanais”.

From 1693 to the end of the Nine Years’ War (1688-97), the regiment served in Flanders.

During the War of the Spanish Succession, the regiment was commanded by

  • from 1700: N. Marquis de La Boulaye
  • from 17 September 1711: Marie-Joseph de Brancas, Marquis d’Oyse

On 7 October 1714, the regiment was disbanded.

Service during the War

In 1701, the regiment joined the Army of Flanders.

In May 1702, the regiment, led by Lieutenant-Colonel de Baravy, recaptured the town of Huy during a surprise attack.

In 1703, the regiment joined the Army of the Moselle. In January, it took part in the defence of Trarbach. In August and September, it was at the siege and capture of Alt-Breisach.

From 1705 to 1707, the regiment was attached to the Army of the Alps. It took part in the Siege of Nice.

In 1708, the regiment was transferred to the Army of the Rhine.

Uniform

To do

Colours

Colonel Colour - Copyright: Kronoskaf
Ordonnance Colour - Copyright: Kronoskaf

References

This article incorporates texts from the following books which are now in the public domain:

  • Susane, Louis: Histoire de l'ancienne infanterie française, J. Corréard, Paris, 1849-1856, Tome 8, p. 275