Pembroke (60)

From Project WSS
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: War of the Spanish Succession (Main Page) >> Navies >> British Navy >> Pembroke (60)

Origin and History

The ship was built by Edward Snelgrove at Limehouse and launched on 22 November 1694.

During the War of the Spanish Succession, the ship was under the command of:

  • in the British service
    • in 1701: Captain John Baker
    • in 1702: Captain Sir Thomas Hardy
    • from 1703 to 1705: Captain Robert Arris
    • in 1706: Captain Charles Smith
    • from 1708 to 29 December 1709: Captain Edward Rumsey
  • in the French service
    • no information found yet

The ship was sold to the Spanish Navy in 1713 and renamed Lanfranco.

The ship foundered in 1718 in Buenos Aires.

Service during the War

Service in the British Navy

In August 1702, the ship was part of the powerful combined fleet assembled for the unsuccessful expedition against Cádiz. On 30 September , the Anglo-Dutch fleet finally left the neighbourhood of Cádiz. On 2 October, several British vessels belonging to the fleet were sent into Lagos Bay to water. One of these was the Pembroke (60). Her chaplain, a Mr. Beauvoir, was among the officers who went on shore. By accident he encountered, and struck up an acquaintance with the French Consul, a boastful person, who, in his anxiety to magnify the power of France, injudiciously hinted that, not far off, King Louis, unknown to the Allies, had a considerable force of ships, and that with them, in perfect safety, were certain Spanish galleons which had lately arrived from the Indies. Mr. Beauvoir, a gentleman of much tact, seized an opportunity of obtaining corroborative evidence that M. de Chateaurenault, from Brest, with ships and galleons, was in Vigo Bay. Having secured as much intelligence as possible, he hurried on board, roused Captain Hardy, who was in bed, and told him the news, which was then, by direction of the senior officer, sent off to [[Rooke, Sir George|Sir George Rooke]. On 17 October, the Pembroke (60) finally discovered the Franco-Spanish fleet. On 23 October, the fleet captured the largest part of the plate-fleet in the Battle of Vigo Bay where the ship belonged to the division of Rear-Admiral John Graydon.

In 1703, the ship served in the Mediterranean.

On 21 March 1705, the ship took part in the Battle of Cabrita Point.

In May 1708, the ship cruised in the Channel.

In 1709, the ship served in the Mediterranean. On 29 December, as she was on a cruise with the Falcon (32), they were engaged by three French ships (a 70-gun, a 60-gun and a 54-gun) off Toulon. Captain Rumsey was killed during the combat and the ship was forced to surrender after losing 142 men killed or wounded.

Service in the French Navy

On 22 March 1711, the ship was recaptured by the British Royal Navy.

In 1713, the ship was sold to the Spanish Navy.

Service in the Spanish Navy

In 1713 and 1714, the ship (now named Lanfranco), took part in the siege of Barcelona.

Characteristics

Technical specifications
Guns 60 (in 1703)
Lower gundeck 24 x culverin
Upper gundeck 26 x demi-culverin
Quarterdeck 10 x 6-pdrs
Forecastle 4 x 6-pdrs
Crew 365 men
Length at gundeck 145 ft (44.20 m)
Width 37 ft 8 in (11.47 m)
Depth 15 ft 9 in (4.80 m)
Displacement 908 Tons (Builder's Old Measurement)

References

Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy

Harrison, Simon and Manuel Blasco, Three Decks - Warships in the Age of Sail

Wikipedia

N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.