Ponthieu Infanterie

From Project WSS
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: War of the Spanish Succession (Main Page) >> Armies >> French Army >> Ponthieu Infanterie

Origin and History

The regiment was created on 16 June 1685 and took the name of Ponthieu. The regiment was given to Florent du Châtelet, Comte de Lomond.

In 1689, during the Nine Years' War (1688-97), the regiment was garrisoning Le Havre. From 1690 to 1692, it garrisoned Saint-Malo. In 1693, it was allocated to the Army of Flanders and took part in the siege of Charleroi. In 1694, it participated in the defence of Huy; in 1695, in the defence of Namur; and in 1697, in the siege of Ath.

During the War of the Spanish Succession, the regiment was commanded by:

  • from 1 March 1697: Claude, Marquis de Céberet
  • from 23 January 1707 to 7 December 1715: Jean-Hector de Fay, Marquis de La Tour-Maubourg

On 10 February 1749, the regiment was disbanded. Its grenadiers were incorporated in the Grenadiers the France and its other companies in Provence Infanterie.

Service during the War

In 1701, the regiment was allocated to the Army of Italy.

On 15 August 1702, the regiment took part in the Battle of Luzzara. It later took part in the capture of Guastalla.

In 1703, the regiment distinguished itself in the Combat of Castelnuovo. It also took part in the surprise attack on Finale and in the affair of Mirandola.

In 1704, the regiment took part in the sieges of Vercelli, Ivrea and Verrua.

On 16 August 1705, the regiment fought in the Battle of Cassano.

On 19 April 1706, the regiment took part in the Battle of Calcinato. On 8 September, it fought in the Battle of Castiglione.

From 1707 to 1713, the regiment served in Dauphiné.

Uniform

To do

Colours

Colonel Colour - Copyright: Kronoskaf
Ordonnance Colour - Copyright: Kronoskaf

References

This article incorporates texts from the following books, which are now in the public domain:

  • Susane, Louis: Histoire de l'ancienne infanterie française, J. Corréard, Paris, 1849-1856, Tome 8, pp. 246-247