Prince George (96)

From Project WSS
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: War of the Spanish Succession (Main Page) >> Navies >> British Navy >> Prince George (96)

Origin and History

The ship was originally built at Woolwich Dockyard and launched in 1682 under the name of "HMS Duke".

In 1701, the ship was rebuilt by Robert Shortis at Chatham Dockyard and renamed "HMS Prince George".

During the War of the Spanish Succession, the ship was under the command of:

  • from February 1702: Captain John Cooper
  • from June to November 1702: Captain Gerard Ellwes
  • from March 1703 to October 1706: Captain Stephen Martin
  • from February 1709 to 24 August 1709: Captain James Moody

On 4 November 1719, the ship underwent a new rebuild at Deptford Dockyard.

Service during the War

In August 1702, the ship was part of the powerful combined fleet assembled for the unsuccessful expedition against Cádiz.

In July 1704, the ship took part in the capture of Gibraltar. On 24 August, she fought in the Battle of Málaga.

In 1705 and 1706, the ship served in the Mediterranean.

Characteristics

Technical specifications
Guns 96 (in 1703)
Lower gundeck 26 x 32-pdrs
Middle gundeck 26 x 18-pdrs
Upper gundeck 26 x 9-pdrs
Quarterdeck 12 x 6-pdrs
Forecastle 4 x 6-pdrs
Roundhouse 2 x 6-pdrs
Crew 680 men
Length at gundeck 162 ft 10 in (49.63 m)
Width 45 ft 1 in (13.74 m)
Depth 18 ft 7 in (5.66 m)
Displacement 1421 Tons (Builder's Old Measurement)

References

Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy

Harrison, Simon and Manuel Blasco, Three Decks - Warships in the Age of Sail

Wikipedia

N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.