Prins Georg Infantry

From Project WSS
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: War of the Spanish Succession (Main Page) >> Armies >> Danish Army >> Prins Georg Infantry

Origin and History

The regiment was raised on 5 February 1658. In 1676, it was name after Prince Georg as "Prins Georg Regiment".

By the time of the War of the Spanish Succession, the regiment counted three battalions.

In 1708, at the death of Prince Georg, the regiment may have lost its royal status.

During the War of the Spanish Succession, the commanders of the regiment were:

  • from 15 January 1698: Klaus Ulrik Roepstorff
  • from 25 July 1705 to 1715: Daniel Plessen

The first battalion in British pay was under the command of:

  • from 1701: Claus Ulrich von Roepstorff
  • from 20 September 1704: Christian Jørgen von Urme
  • from 11 November 1704: Gerhard Christian von Stöcken

The second battalion in British pay was under the command of:

  • from 1701: Karl Rudolf, Duke von Württemberg-Neuenstadt
  • from 25 July 1705: Daniel von Plessen

The battalion in Austrian pay was under the command of:

  • from 1700 to 1 March 1703: Kristian Gyldenlove

The regiment was disbanded in 1721

Service during the War

Battalion in Austrian Pay

In 1700, one battalion (6 coys) of the regiment was sent to Saxony.

In 1701, this battalion was attached to the Danish Contingent taken under Austrian pay. In March, this contingent was in Saxony but had already been ordered to join the Imperial army assembling in Tyrol for the planned invasion of Northern Italy. By mid-November, the contingent had reached Bolzano. By 8 December, it was incorporated in Commercy's Corps who took position at Povegliano. The regiment took its winter-quarters in Governolo.

In 1702, the battalion in Austrian pay took part in the Campaign in Northern Italy. On 15 August, it fought at the Battle of Luzzara.

On 1 March 1703, the remaining troops of the battalion were amalgamated with the rest of the battalion of the Dronningens Livregiment and a third of the battalion of the Marine Regiment to form the new 1st Danske Infanterieregiment under Gyldenlove.

Battalions in British Pay

In October 1701, two battalions (12 companies) were in English pay. They embarked at Glüchstadt and were tranported to Northern Holland. They would remain under English/British pay until 1712. In various orders of battle, they are sometimes designated as regiments.

In 1702, these battalions took part in the siege and capture of Liège.

In mid-March 1704, after settling the problem with pay arrears, these battalions were posted in Southern Brabant. In July, they were ordered to join Marlborough's Army in Bavaria. Upon their arrival, they were assigned to the army of Prince Eugène de Savoie and stationed at Heidelberg. On 13 August, they took part in the Battle of Blenheim. In the autumn, they took part in the sieges of Trarbach and Saarburg. They took up their winter-quarters between the Moselle and the Rhine.

At the end of May 1706, these battalions joined Marlborouh's Army and took part in the Battle of Ramillies. They were present at the ensuing sieges of Antwerp, Ostend, Menin, Ath, Dendermonde and Oudenarde.

In 1709, these battalions took part in the siege of Tournai. On 11 September, they fought in the Battle of Malplaquet.

In 1713, these battalions returned to Denmark.

Uniform

Privates

Uniform from 1701 to 1704 - Copyright: Richard Couture
Uniform Details as per
Snorasson and Henriksen, and Martinsson
Headgear
Fusilier black felt flat topped hat with brims variously fastened up (one side, two sides or three sides or worn as a simple slouch hat). The brim was usually edged with a braid. A cord ran around the basis of the crown. A rosette in the distinctive colour of the regiment or later a black cockade was worn on the left side of the hat. The lace and the cord could have been of the distinctive colour of the regiment (particularly in the early years of the conflict) or in the metal colour of the regiment (yellow or white).
Grenadier Grenadier caps came in several design from the popular cloth mitre cap to the bearskin with a hanging bag or the fur bonnet.
Neck stock white
Coat double-breasted grey-white coat (blue as per Peterson) with orange lining and with 22 pewter buttons (11 on each side) and 1 pewter button on each side in the small of the back. In the first years of the war, all buttonholes were usually trimmed in the distinctive colour of the regiment.
Collar none
Shoulder Straps none
Lapels none
Pockets horizontal pockets, each with 3 pewter buttons with orange trimmed buttonholes
Cuffs orange, each with 3 pewter buttons
Turnbacks none
Waistcoat orange with pewter buttons
Breeches orange during the early years of the war and gradually standardized to red
Stockings orange fastened under the knee with a natural leather strap
Gaiters the use of gaiters generalized much later but they were already used in 1700 where red gaiters are reported
Leather Equipment
Cross-belt yellowish natural leather worn across the left shoulder
Waist-belt yellowish natural leather waist-belt worn above the coat
Cartridge Box black for fusiliers

grenadiers carried a large grenade pouch containing two grenades and cartridges.

Bayonet Scabbard black leather
Scabbard black
Footwear black leather shoes with a brass buckle


The uniform changed in 1705 but no information is available on this new uniform. In 1711, uniform (coat, waistcoat, breeches and stockings) became red, .

Soldiers were armed with a flintlock musket, a small bayonet and a sword (fusiliers) or a sabre (grenadiers). Grenadiers were also armed with hand grenades and with a small axe.

NCOs

NCOs were probably distinguished from privates by a silver lace on the hat and by silver edging on the cuffs.

NCOs carried a cane whose characteristics indicated the precise rank of each NCO.

NCOs also carried a halberd and a sword. They had no musket.

Officers

Uniforms of officers differed from those of the privates and NCOs by the finer material used. They were not standardized across the entire army but seems to have been similar within a regiment. Buttons were silver-plated and silver embroideries decorated the coat, cuffs and pocket flaps. Their coat could be single or double-breasted.

The hats of officers were often edged with a red or white plumetis.

Officers usually wore a wig.

Officers wore a gorget and a silken sash of the distinctive colour of their regiment. Those serving in Dutch pay wore an orange sash across the shoulder.

Officers carried a cane whose characteristics indicated the precise rank of each officer; a pike and a sword. Officers of the grenadier companies carried a musket instead of a pike.

In the field, pistols of various forms were carried by officers who often carried two of them when dismounted.

Musicians

Drummers usually wore coats similar to those of privates but richly decorated with braids on the sleeves and body (without swallow nests). Braids were usually of the metal colour of the regiment. The shell of the drum was of painted woods and decorated with the regimental arms or the King's double monogram.

Colours

The colonel company carried the colonel colour and each other company carried its own company colour. The colours usually represented in various sources probably came for Kühn's work and are wrong. Here we follow Robert Hall who has illustrated completely different colours.

Colonel Colour: white field; the Dannebrog (a white cross pattée) on a red field in the first canton (upper left); centre device consisting of the crowned cipher of Prince George surrounded by a green laurel wreath tied with blue ribbons; on each side of the centre device the motto "DEO DUCE".

Ordonnance Colour: green field; the Dannebrog (a white cross pattée) on a red field in the first canton (upper left); the centre device varied from one company to the other, only a few are known:

  • 2nd Company: centre device consisting of a sky blue medallion with a shielded arm emerging from a cloud, surrounded by a silver laurel wreath tied with blue ribbons; on each side of the centre device the motto "SUB CLYPEO"
  • 3rd Company (not illustrated): centre device consisting of a yellow medallion with an armour and a heraldic helmet, surrounded by a silver laurel wreath tied with blue ribbons; on each side of the centre device the motto "VENCER Y VELAR"
Colonel Colour - Copyright: Kronoskaf
Ordonnance Colour of the 2nd company - Copyright: Kronoskaf


References

Martinsson, Örjan: Danish Infantry Uniforms 1700-1730 in Tacitus.nu

Snorasson, Torstein and Søren Henriksen: Danish Uniforms 1699-1712, in Chakoten, translated and published by Dan Schorr in 2008

Vaupell, O. F.: Den Danske Haers Historie, Copenhagen 1876, pp. 638-639, 642

Wikipedia - Danish Auxiliary Corps in Anglo-Dutch service 1701–1714

N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.

Acknowledgements

Wienand Drenth and Jorg Meier for additional information on this regiment.