Ranelagh (80)

From Project WSS
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: War of the Spanish Succession (Main Page) >> Navies >> British Navy >> Ranelagh (80)

Origin and History

The ship was built by Fisher Harding at Deptford Dockyard and launched on 25 June 1697.

During the War of the Spanish Succession, the ship was under the command of:

  • from 1699: Captain Sir John Munden
  • from 1701: Captain James Greenway
  • from January 1702: Captain Edward Whitaker
  • from February 1702: Captain Richard Fitzpatrick
  • from 1703: Captain William Scalley
  • from September to 13 August 1704: Captain John Cowe
  • in 1705: Captain George Delavall
  • in 1706: Captain Charles Fotherby
  • from 1708 to 1711: Captain William Faulkner

The ship underwent a rebuild in September 1723.

In 1728, the ship was renamed HMS Princess Caroline.

On 15 March 1731, the ship was finally relaunched.

The ship was broken up in 1764.

Service during the War

By the Summer of 1701, the ship was part of the large Anglo-Dutch fleet assembled at Spithead.

In August 1702, the ship was part of the powerful combined fleet assembled for the unsuccessful expedition against Cádiz. On 28 September, another council of war was held on board the Ranelagh. The Allied commanders decided not to essay an attack upon any other place in Spain, but to return to England. On its way home, this fleet captured the largest part of the plate-fleet in the Battle of Vigo Bay where she was attached to the British Division of Admiral Sir George Rooke.

In 1703, the ship served in the Mediterranean.

On 21 July 1704, the ship took part in the capture of Gibraltar. On 24 August, she fought in the Battle of Málaga.

On 25 May 1705, the ship sailed from St Helens and effected a junction with a Dutch squadron (5 ships of the line).

In 1708, the ship served once more in the Mediterranean.

In 1709, the ship cruised in the Soundings.

In 1710, the ship served once more in the Mediterranean.

In the Autumn of 1711, the ship returned to Great Britain.

Characteristics

Technical specifications
Guns 80 (as of 1703)
Lower gundeck 26 x 24-pdrs
Middle gundeck 26 x 12-pdrs
Upper deck 22 x 6-pdrs
Quarterdeck 6 x 6-pdrs
Crew 476 men
Length at gundeck 158 ft 8 in (48.16 m)
Width 41 ft 9 in (12.52 m)
Depth 17 ft 4 in (5.20 m)
Displacement 1199 tons BM

References

Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy

Harrison, Simon and Manuel Blasco, Three Decks - Warships in the Age of Sail

Wikipedia

N.B.: the section Service during the War is partly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.