Richard Cunningham's Dragoons

From Project WSS
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: War of the Spanish Succession (Main Page) >> Armies >> British Army >> Richard Cunningham's Dragoons

Origin and History

In May 1689, during the commotions which followed the Revolution of 1688, independent troops were raised on Scots Establishment. Two of these troops took part in the combat of Killicrankie. At the beginning of 1690, three such troops were formed into a regiment of horse. On 13 December 1690, the three troops of the regiment of horse and three other troops of dragoons were merged into regiment of dragoons known as the “Queen's Own Regiment of Dragoons” or “Richard Cunningham's Dragoons”. It then ranked as “8th Dragoons”.

In 1691, the regiment was quartered near the confines of the Highlands, to hold in check the disaffected clans; and was afterwards removed to the vicinity of Edinburgh. The same year, it was renumbered “7th Dragoons”.

In 1694, during the Nine Years' War (1688-97), the regiment was placed on the English Establishment, increased to eight troops and sent from Scotland to England and then Flanders to join the King's Army. In 1695, it took part in covering the siege and capture of Namur. In December 1697, the regiment returned to England.

In 1698, the regiment was sent back to Scotland and transferred to the Scots Establishment.

During the War of the Spanish Succession, the successive colonels of the regiment were:

  • from 30 December 1690: Richard Cunningham
  • from 1 October 1696: William, Lord Jedburgh (removed to the colonelcy of the Scots Guards in April 1707)
  • from 28 April 1707: Patrick, Lord Polwarth
  • from 10 October 1709 to 1741: Honorable William Ker (also spelled Carr)

In the spring of 1714, the regiment was disbanded in Ireland, its troops being absorbed by the 1st Royal Dragoons and the Scots Dragoons. However, it was re-formed as soon as 15 February 1715.

Service during the War

In 1702, the regiment was one of the corps selected to remain in Scotland.

In 1708, each troop of the regiment was augmented to 54 men and transferred back to the English Establishment.

In March 1711, the establishment of the regiment was augmented to 60 men per troop. The same month, it embarked at Leith but was driven back to the Firth and detained by contrary winds until the end of April, when it sailed for Holland. Having been detained by the weather, the regiment did not arrive until the army had taken the field, and the men and horses had suffered by being so long on board of ship; they consequently remained in Holland for a short time in quarters of refreshment, and afterwards commenced their march for the frontiers. When passing through Brabant, it was ordered to halt at Bruxelles. The regiment appears to have remained in reserve during the campaign of this year.

In the spring of 1712, the regiment took the field and joined the army commanded by his grace the Duke of Ormond, which advanced to the confines of France, and was ready to carry the war into Picardie. A suspension of hostilities was proclaimed, and the army retired to Ghent, and after encamping a short period went into quarters.

In the summer of 1713, the regiment was ordered to embark at Dunkerque for Ireland. The government, contemplating the disbanding of the regiment, directed its horses to be embarked for Dover and delivered to the 1st Royal Dragoons. On 15 August, the regiment arrived at Dunkerque, and having delivered up its horses, embarked for Ireland on 21 August.

Uniform

To do

Standards

To do

References

This article incorporates texts of the following source:

  • Cannon, Richard: Historical Record of the Seventh or The Queen’s Own Regiment of Hussars, London: John W. Parker, 1842

Other sources

Dalton, Charles (ed.): English Army List and Commission Registers

  • Vol. V. p. 3
  • Vol. VI. p. 209

Johnston, S. H. F.: The Scots Army in the Reign of Anne, in: Transactions of the Royal Historical Society, Vol. 3 (1953), p.5