Royal Bavière Infanterie

From Project WSS
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: War of the Spanish Succession (Main Page) >> Armies >> French Army >> Royal Bavière Infanterie

Origin and History

The creation of this regiment was first considered in 1703, in a letter written by M. de Ricourt, the French envoy at the court of the Elector of Bavaria, to M. de Chamillard, the French War Secretary, expressing the desire of the Elector to give a Bavarian regiment to Louis XIV. The disasters of 1704 and the following years delayed the project.

A regiment was finally raised on 14 March 1706 in Italy by Brigadier Joseph de Saint-Jure Chevalier de Mercy. It initially consisted of Bavarian prisoners kept in the prisons of Pavia, Cremona and Alessandria. The regiment was under French pay and counted two battalions. By 26 June 1706, it already had 70 officers and 492 men. By 7 July, it was stationed in Asti, ready to be sent to Hungary. However, on 7 September, it was at the Battle of Turin. After the battle, it counted only 400 men.

From 1707, this regiment was known as “Chevalier de Bavière Infanterie.”

On 1 January, 1709, a regiment was finally incorporated in the French Army under the command of the Comte de Bavière, a natural son of the Elector of Bavaria. It was formed with two companies of the Bavarian Gardes and six companies of Alsace Infanterie, containing exclusively soldiers born on the right bank of the Rhine. It was renamed “Royal Bavière Infanterie.” It would be the last regiment created during the reign of Louis XIV.

During the War of the Spanish Succession, the regiment was commanded by:

In 1716, only two companies remained in French service, the rest of the regiment returning to Bavaria where it was designated as “Lerchenfeld Infantry.”

Service during the War

In 1710, the regiment was employed in the Lines of the Lauter and on the Sarre.

In 1711 and 1712, the regiment served in Alsace.

In 1713, the regiment took part in the sieges and capture of Landau and Freiburg. It was later placed in garrison in Strasbourg.

Uniform

To do

Colours

In 1709, the ordonnance colours of the regiment had a sky blue field, bordered with a chess-pattern of light blue diamonds, and a white cross with golden “fleurs de lys.”

Ordonnance Colour - Copyright: Kronoskaf

References

This article incorporates texts from the following books which are now in the public domain:

  • Susane, Louis: Histoire de l'ancienne infanterie française, J. Corréard, Paris, 1849-1856, Tome 7, pp. 263-265

Other Sources

Königlich Baierisches 4. Linien Infanterie Regiment vacant "Graf Salern"