Origin and History
The military soon realised the advantage of having troops trained to the use of arms on board of ships, as well as on land.
In November 1664, on the eve of the Second Anglo-Dutch War (1665-67), King Charles II created a corps specifically for sea-service. This corps was commanded by the Duke of York (the future King James II), then Lord High Admiral of Great Britain, and was designated “The Admiral’s Maritime Regiment.” This was followed in June 1665 by the formation of The Holland Regiment, Both regiments were on the Navy Establishment, and served with the fleet during the Second Anglo-Dutch War. In May 1667, both regiments were transferred to the establishment of the Guards and Garrisons. Detachments from the existing regiments of foot guards were detailed for sea service as well.
In 1672, at the outbreak of the Third Anglo-Dutch War (1672-74), a number of regiments were raised for service with the fleet. Furthermore, battalions for sea-service were also formed by drafts from the land-forces. Several companies of the Foot Guards were employed on the Marine duty. On 7 June, these companies took part in the Battle of Solebay against the Dutch fleet. They were also engaged in several other actions during the war. Nevertheless, all these regiments, battalions and companies remained part of the land forces.
In 1689, King William III incorporated “the Admiral’s Regiment” (which was then considered the third regiment of infantry) in the 2nd Coldstream Regiment of Foot Guards. In January 1690, two Marine regiments were added to the Navy Establishment for service on board the fleet.
In July 1698, a new establishment of the marine forces was ordered. There were four regiments in this new establishment: one was formed from the original two regiments raised in 1690, and three regiments were formed by the reassignment of three regiments of foot. In May 1699, these four regiments were all disbanded.
In February 1702, during the War of the Spanish Succession (1701-13), the British Parliament enabled Queen Anne to increase the efficiency of her navy, by forming Corps of Marines, which could act at sea as well as on land. On 1 June, six regiments, including the present regiment, were accordingly added to the regular Army as a Marine Corps. Each of these regiments comprised twelve companies of 59 men each. In addition, six regular regiments of infantry were appointed for Sea-service. Colonel William Seymour was nominated to superintend the Marine forces and promoted to brigadier-general.
On 25 December 1703, each company of marines was increased to 100 men. Thus, the six marine regiments numbered a total of 8,166 officers and men.
The present regiment was raised on 12 February 1702 as a regiment of marines with twelve companies. Large part of the regiment was raised in Lincolnshire, and two companies were raised in Hull. The regiment was ranked as 1st marines, under the command of Thomas Saunderson.
- N. B.: from 1694 to 1699, Thomas Saunderson had commanded a regiment of marines which had been disbanded in April 1699.
During the War of the Spanish Succession, the successive proprietors of the regiment were:
- from 12 February 1702: Thomas Saunderson
- from 15 December 1704: Thomas Pownall
- from 13 October 1705 to 1714: Sir Charles Willis
The regiment was reduced in December 1713 and January 1714. On 25 March 1715, it was re-established on the Irish Establishment as the "Sir Charles Will’s Regiment of Foot" without loss of precedence. This regiment later became the 30th Regiment of Foot, afterwards the East Lancashire Regiment.
Service during the War
N. B.: throughout the war, marines served on board the fleet in detachments regardless of the regimental structure. For example, the naval force under Admiral Sir George Rooke that took Gibraltar in August 1704 carried about 2,200 marines from all six regiments. Likewise, the battalions of marines part of the expeditions to Port Royal in 1710 and Quebec in 1711 were formed from all six regiments as well.
In 1703, one company of the regiment was lost in the "Great Storm".
In July and August 1704, a detachment of the regiment formed part of the Marine Corps of 2,200 men who took part in the capture and defence of Gibraltar.
In September 1705, the regiment, as part of the Earl of Peterborough’s forces, was involved in the capture of Barcelona. It also took part in the defence of Gerona.
In 1707, the regiment took part in the unsuccessful defence of Lérida.
In 1709, the regiment reembarked on board the fleet.
In 1710, a detachment of the regiment formed part of the Marine Battalion of 400 men, which took part in the capture of Port Royal in Acadia.
In 1711, a detachment of the regiment formed part of the Marine Battalion of 600 men, which took part in the unsuccessful expedition against Québec.
There were still no regulation concerning uniforms and colonels were responsible for the clothing of their soldiers. Therefore, there were wide variations from one regiment to another.
Hairs were worn long in a “long bob”. They were sometimes tied at the back of the neck. The hair bag was also already in use.
Men as well as officers were clean-shaven. Officers sometimes wore small moustaches.
|knotted white linen neck-cloth with ends hanging or tucked into the top of the coat
|scarlet frock-coat lined white with pewter buttons along the full length of the right side and 1 pewter button on each side in the small of the back
N.B.: the coats of grenadiers had white tufted laced loops ornamenting the buttonholes down to the waist
For the uniform of 1702, Lawson mentions a red watermen’s coat
|long white waistcoat with pewter buttons
|during campaigns, a first pair of finer stockings was pulled up under the breeches at the knees while a coarser pair of white stockings was worn over them, pulled over the knees and fastened with a leather strap and buckle
Musketeers were armed with a musket without sling, a bayonet and a sword. Grenadiers were armed with a firelock with a sling, a hatchet, a bayonet and grenades.
NCOs wore uniforms almost identical to those of privates with the following differences:
- tricorne laced silver
- silver braids on the seams of the coat
Sergeants initially carried a halberd and corporals a musket. Gradually, all NCOs were equipped with musket.
Officers wore beaver tricornes laced gold (probably reserved to superior officers) or silver (probably reserved to subaltern officers). They also wore the fashionable full flowing curled wigs. On service they usually plaited their wig.
A large gorget was worn around the neck tied with ribbons. The gorget was gilt for captains, black studded with gold for lieutenants and silver for ensigns.
Officers usually wore uniforms somewhat similar to those of privates (even though there were not yet any regulation compelling them to do so), made of finer material. Their coats were decorated with gold or silver braids down the seams and on the sleeves; and with gold or silver embroidered buttonholes. Cuffs were usually of the same colour as the coat instead of the distinctive colour of the regiment.
The waistcoats of officers were often decorated with gold or silver fringes.
A crimson sash (often interwoven with gold or silver and fringed similarly) was worn around the waist.
Breeches were tied with rosettes below the knee.
Officers wore gloves, often decorated with gold or silver fringes.
Officers carried a sword and a half pike or a spontoon.
The cartouche box of officers were often covered in velvet and decorated with gold or silver embroideries.
Drummers and hautboys usually wore coat of the facing colour of the regiment, decorated with lace on the seams of sleeves and back and on the buttonholes. Their coat was decorated with the crowned King's cypher or the Colonel's crest embroidered on the breast and back. Sometimes their coat had hanging sleeves.
no information found
Cannon, Richard: Historical Record of the Marine Corps
Farmer, John S.: The Regimental Records of the British Army, London: Grant Richards, 1901
Fortescue, J. W.: A History of the British Army, Vol. I, MacMillan, London, 1899, p. 400
Lawson, Cecil C. P.: A History of the Uniforms of the British Army, Vol. 1 From the beginning to 1760, London: Kaye & Ward, pp. 55-56
Mills, T. F., Land Forces of Britain the Empire and Commonwealth (an excellent website which unfortunately seems to have disappeared from the web)
Vilalta, Lluís: “Catalonia Stands Alone - 1713-1714: The Catalans' War”
Wikipedia – 30th (Cambridgeshire) Regiment of Foot
Wienand Drenth for additional information on the lineage and history of the regiment