Segundo Corpo de Granada

From Project WSS
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: War of the Spanish Succession (Main Page) >> Armies >> Spanish Army (Bourbon) >> Segundo Corpo de Granada

Origin and History

The tercio was created on 14 June 1705 at the camp of San Roque near Gibraltar from half of the Tercio del Casco de Granada. It was initially designated as the “Segundo Corpo de Granada”.

On 28 February 1707, the regiment was renamed “Regimiento de Santa Fé”.

During the War of the Spanish Succession, the tercio was under the command of:

  • from 14 July 1705: Don Juan Jacinto Vazquez de Vargas
  • from at least 1710: Don Felipe Francisco Chacon Hidalgo

On 20 April 1715, the regiment was disbanded and re-incorporated into the “Regimiento de Granada”. Effective incorporation took place on 31 May of the same year.

Service during the War

On 14 June 1705, the “Tercio del Casco de Granada” was subdivided into two distinct unit: the first retaining its original name and the second being named “Segundo Corpo de Granada”. This new unit took part in the second blockade of Gibraltar. It was then transferred to the Kingdom of Valencia to quench the revolt of the pro-Habsburg party. On 6 July, it reached Murcia.

By 1706, when the Austrians invaded the Kingdom of Valencia, the regiment formed part of a force including the militia of Orihuela and Cartagena as well as the Mahony Dragoons and Dentici Cavalry who engaged and defeated the invaders. The Spaniards then opened the dykes of the Segura River, flooding the orchards of Orihuela and Murcia. The Austrian then precipitously flee in disorder. The regiment then joined the corps of the General Count de Torres which was encamped in the Province of Valencia. It was incorporated into the Medinilla's Brigade. It set off from Iniesta for the reconquest of Elche which was captured on 21 October. On 27 October, the corps laid siege to Orihuela which soon surrendered. In this campaign, the regiment had lost 10 officers and 150 soldiers.

On 28 February 1707, the regiment was renamed “Regimiento de Santa Fé”. It was transferred from the corps operating in the Kingdom of Valencia to Cádiz whose governor made arrangements for half of the regiment to be quartered in the harbour of Santa María.

On 9 July 1709, a second battalion was added to the regiment. On 16 August, the regiment set off from Cádiz to reinforce the Army of Catalonia.

In 1710, the Franco-Spanish army was forced to retire from Catalonia and retired to Lérida in Aragon. On 20 August, the regiment took part in the disastrous Battle of Saragossa. The remnants of the regiment took refuge in Castile and then marched to Andalusia to reorganise and recruit.

In 1711, the regiment operated in Andalusia, providing garrisons and detachments.

Uniform

no information found yet

Privates

no information found yet

Officers

Uniforms of officers differed from those of privates and NCOs by the finer material used. Their waistcoat, saddle cloth and housings were edged with a wide golden braid.

In the infantry, officers wore a silver or gold gorget and a spontoon.

The regulation of 30 December 1704 specified the distinctive of each military rank:

  • colonel: a baton with a gold knob
  • lieutenant-colonel: a baton with a silver knob
  • sargento mayor: a baton with a silver topped knob
  • captain: baton as worn under the reign of the Habsburg
  • lieutenant: baton as worn under the reign of the Habsburg
  • sub-lieutenant: baton with a horn band and a silver ring

NCOs

The regulation of 30 December 1704 specified the distinctive of each military rank:

  • sergeant : baton without knob and halberd
  • mariscal de logis (quartermaster): small white woolen epaulette
  • brigadier: swagger stick
  • corporal of squadron: swagger stick
  • second corporal of squadron (rank suppressed in 1706): swagger stick

Musicians

no information found yet

Colours

no information found yet

References

This article is mostly made of abridged and adapted excerpts from the following books which are now in the public domain:

  • Clonard, Conde de, Historia Orgánica de las Armas de Infantería y Caballería, vol. IX, Madrid, 1851-62, pp. 345, 372-375