Sir Beville Granville's Foot
Origin and History
The regiment was created on 20 June 1685 by John Granville, Earl of Bath and raised in Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire and assembled at Derby. It incorporated a company of “Guards and garrisons” stationed in Plymouth. The regiment initially consisted of 11 companies of 100 privates each. At its creation, the uniform of the regiment was a blue coat lined red; a red waistcoat; red breeches; red stockings; a round hat with broad brims, the brim turned up on one side and ornamented with red ribands; the pikemen wore red worsted sashes. This was the only infantry regiment clothed in blue coats. It was one of the nine new regiments of foot, raised to meet the Monmouth rebellion. Until 1751, it would be known by the names of its successive colonels.
After the suppression of Monmouth rebellion, the regiment was reduced to 10 companies of 50 privates each. In August 1685, the regiment marched from Derby to Hounslow, and encamped upon the heath, where it was reviewed by the King, and afterwards marched to Plymouth, to relieve the Queen Dowager's Foot. In March 1686, the regiment left Plymouth and occupied quarters at Guildford and Godalming. On 24 May, it pitched its tents on Hounslow Heath, where a numerous body of troops was assembled for exercise and review. At this camp the regiment had an independent company of grenadiers attached to it, and after the reviews it marched into garrison at Portsmouth. In April 1687, the regiment left Portsmouth for Winchester and Taunton. In June, it once more participated in the training camp on Hounslow Heath. In August, it marched into quarters in London. It was finally placed in garrison at Plymouth.
In 1688, the Earl of Bath, proprietor of the regiment, was one of the noblemen who communicated privately with the Prince of Orange, looking for aid to oppose the arbitrary proceedings of the King. In November, when the Prince of Orange arrived with a Dutch armament, the regiment was in garrison at the Citadel of Plymouth. The town proper was garrisoned by the Earl of Huntingdon's Foot. The Earl of Bath was in the interest of the Prince of Orange while the Earl of Huntingdon had remained faithful to King James. Furthermore, superior officers of these two regiments were of divided allegiances. Eventually, the Earl of Bath, being the senior officer and governor of the fortress, ordered the Earl of Huntingdon along with four officers of his regiment to be arrested. The Earl of Bath then declared for the Prince of Orange and induced the two regiments to engage in the same interest. On 8 December, the King deprived the Earl of Bath of his commissions and appointed Lieutenant-Colonel Sir Charles Carney as colonel of the regiment. However, when King James realized that he could not rely on his army, he fled to France. On 31 December the Prince of Orange restored the Earl of Bath to the colonelcy.
In 1689, the regiment was entrusted with the charge of the citadel of Plymouth and was not employed in the field in 1689 and 1690. However, six of its companies were detached to the islands of Jersey and Guernsey.
In 1691, the regiment was finally involved in the Nine Years' War (1688–97) raging on the continent. It embarked from Jersey, Guernsey, and Plymouth under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel Sir Beville Granville, nephew of the Earl of Bath, sailed to Ostend, and landing at that port marched up the country, and joined the army commanded by King William III at the camp near Anderlecht. It was formed in brigade with the Royal Fusiliers, the Robert Hodges' Foot (16th) and Fitzpatrick's Foot (afterwards disbanded), under Brigadier-General Churchill. In May 1692, the regiment quitted its cantonments and took the field. On 3 August, it took part in the Battle of Steenkerque. Towards the end of August, it was detached from the main army, and having joined a number of troops which had arrived from England under Lieutenant-General the Duke of Leinster, they were employed in seizing and fortifying the towns of Furnes and Dixmude. In mid-October, the regiment marched to Damme, a little strong town, situated between Bruges and Sluys, where it passed the winter. In 1693, it was part of the troops under King William III encamped near Louvain. On 1 July, the regiment was detached from the main army, with other forces under the Duke of Württemberg, to attack the French fortified lines between the rivers Scheldt and Lys. After a march of eight days, the troops arrived in front of the lines near Otignies. On the following day, the regiment took part in the attack against the lines which were carried with little loss. In October, it marched into winter-quarters at Bruges. On 29 October, the Earl of Bath was succeeded in the colonelcy by his nephew, Lieutenant-Colonel Sir Beville Granville. In May 1694, the regiment left Bruges and encamped near Ghent. During this campaign, it served in Brigadier-General Stewart's Brigade, in the division commanded by Major-General Sir Henry Bellasis. At the end of the year, it proceeded into quarters at Malines. Early in the spring of 1695, 500 men of the regiment were withdrawn from Malines to take part in the attack against the works between the Lys and the Scheldt but the enterprise was cancelled and the entire regiment encamped at Marykirk. The regiment was subsequently detached to Dixmude, in West Flanders and encamped before the Kenoque, a fortress at the junction of the Loo and Dixmude canals, where the French had a garrison. On 9 June, the grenadiers of the regiment were engaged in driving the French from the entrenchments and houses near the Loo canal. A redoubt was afterwards taken, and a lodgement effected on the works at the bridge; in which service the regiment had several men killed and wounded. The regiment then joined the force, under the Prince de Vaudémont, covering the Siege of Namur. When Maréchal Villeroy advanced, with a force of very superior numbers, to attack the covering army, the Prince de Vaudémont retreated to Ghent, and during this retrograde movement, the commanding officer of the regiment, Lieutenant-Colonel Sydney Godolphin, a sergeant and 12 men, resting at a house on the road too long, were made prisoners. The regiment was subsequently employed in several movements to protect the maritime and other towns of Flanders, and to cover the army carrying on the siege of Namur. In August it was encamped between Genappe and Waterloo, and after the surrender of the Castle of Namur, it marched into quarters in the villages between Nieuport and Ostend. In the spring of 1696, the regiment was recalled to England which was threatened by a civil war and by a French invasion. In March, it embarked at Ostend and arrived at Gravesend. In the meantime, the conspirators had been discovered and the French navy blockaded in its ports. The regiment occupied quarters a short period in London, and afterwards marched into extensive cantonments in the counties of Suffolk and Essex. In May 1697, the regiment was ordered to re-embark for the Netherlands. In July, it joined the Allied army at the camp in front of Bruxelles. A few weeks afterwards, the Treaty of Ryswick gave peace to Europe. During the winter, the regiment returned to England. In December, it landed at Gravesend and Tilbury, and marched into quarters in Essex.
In July 1698, the regiment embarked at Highlake for Ireland where it was stationed until 1700.
In 1698, the regiment counted 10 companies in a single battalion for a total of 34 officers and 411 men.
During the War of the Spanish Succession, the successive proprietors of the regiment were:
- since 29 October 1693: Sir Beville Granville
- from 15 January 1703 until 1715: William, Lord North and Grey
Service during the War
In 1701, the regiment was ordered to proceed on foreign service to aid the continental powers. On 15 June, it embarked at Cork, sailed to the Dutch Republic, and was placed in one of the frontier garrisons of that country. In September it was encamped on Breda-Heath, where it was reviewed, with the remainder of the British troops in the Netherlands by King William III. The regiment afterwards returned to its former station in garrison.
In the spring of 1702, the regiment took the field to serve as auxiliaries to the army of Emperor Leopold I, England not having declared war against France. While encamped at Rosendael, the regiment received news of the death of King William III and of the accession of Queen Anne on 8 March. From Rosendael, the regiment marched to the Duchy of Cleves, and encamped at Kranenburg on the Lower Rhine, forming part of the covering army during the siege of Kayserswerth. In June a French force of superior numbers marched through the forest of Cleves and plains of Goch to cut off the Allied army from Grave and Nijmegen. A little before sunset on 10 June, British, Dutch, and Germans at Kranenburg, struck their tents and, by a forced march, arrived within a few km of Nijmegen about 8:00 a.m. on 11 June; at which time the French columns appeared on both flanks and in the rear. Some sharp fighting occurred; the British corps forming the rearguard (including the regiment) held the French in check until the army effected its retreat under the works of Nijmegen. When England declared war against France, additional troops arrived in the Dutch Republic and the Earl of Marlborough assumed the command. The regiment was engaged in the movements by which the French were driven from their menacing position near the confines of the Dutch Republic. The regiment also formed part of the covering army during the siege of Venlo, a fortress on the east side of the Meuse River, which surrendered on 25 September. The regiment was next engaged in covering the sieges of Roermond and Stevensweert, both of which places were captured in the early part of October. The army afterwards advanced to the city of Liège, which immediately opened its gates, but the citadel, and a detached fortress called the Chartreuse, held out. The regiment was employed in the siege of the citadel of Liège. On 23 October, the grenadier company behaved with great gallantry at the capture of that fortress by storm. The citadel being carried by assault, the garrison was nearly annihilated; the garrison of the Chartreuse were eyewitnesses of this event, and surrendered immediately afterwards, from apprehension of a similar fate. The regiment took its winter-quarters at Breda.
On 15 January 1703, Sir Beville Granville having been appointed governor of Barbadoes, the colonelcy of the regiment was conferred on William, Lord North and Grey. Towards the end of April, the regiment left its winter-quarters. On 6 May, it arrived at Maeswyck, where they halted on the following day; but, information having been received of the approach of a powerful French army to cut off the detachments of the confederate forces, the regiment struck its tents at sunset, with several other corps, and, by a forced march, arrived at the city of Maastricht about noon on the following day. When the French army approached that city, the regiment was in position, being one of the corps stationed at Lonakin; some skirmishing and cannonading occurred, and the French withdrew without venturing a general engagement. When the Duke of Marlborough advanced against the French at Tongres, the regiment was attached to the brigade of Brigadier-General the Earl of Derby. The Franco-Spanish army took refuge behind an extensive line of works, and Marlborough besieged Huy, located on the Meuse upstream from Liège. The regiment was employed at the siege. On 18 August, when the enemy had vacated that portion of the town which lay beyond the river, Colonel Lord North and Grey took possession of it with the regiment which held this post during the remainder of the siege. Huy having been captured, the siege of the city of Limbourg was next undertaken, and this fortress was surrendered before the end of September. Thus Spanish Guelderland was wrested from the power of France. In October, the regiment marched back to the Dutch Republic where it passed the winter.
In May 1704, the regiment accompanied Marlborough in his famous march to the Danube. To engage in this undertaking, the regiment left its winter-quarters early in May and, directing its march to the Rhine, proceeded along the banks of that river to Coblenz. On the 25 and 26 May, the regiment passed the Rhine and the Moselle at Coblenz. Marlborough's Army then marched towards the Main and, traversing several German principalities, reached the Danube to cooperate with Imperial forces. On 2 July, the regiment took part in the Battle of the Schellenberg where it was led up the contested height to join in the attack. Firmly and steadily the soldiers of the regiment moved up the steep ascent, which was strewed with killed and wounded; arriving within range of the enemy's fire, an iron tempest smote the ranks, and the firm order of the regiment was shaken: it was forced to retire and rally. At that moment the British cavalry approached to support the infantry, and the Germans under the Margrave of Baden arrived to prolong the attack and assail the enemy in the rear. The Franco-Bavarians started to retire and the British and Dutch infantry seized this opportunity to finally storm the entrenchments. In this battle, the regiment lost Captain Crow and 15 rank and file killed; 3 sergeants and 36 rank and file wounded. Crossing the Danube, and advancing into Bavaria, the regiment was engaged in various operations; it proceeded to the vicinity of the Franco-Bavarian fortified camp at Augsburg, and afterwards returned to the Danube at Donauworth. About 10:00 p.m. on the night of 11 August, the army under the Duke of Marlborough effected a junction with the Imperialists commanded by Prince Eugène de Savoie, at the village of Munster, near the bank of the Danube. On 12 August, the regiment was ordered forward to support the piquets, which were attacked by the enemy's hussars. At daybreak, on the morning of 13 August, the regiment was under arms, it then took part in the victorious Battle of Blenheim where it formed part of Row's Brigade which attacked the entrenched village of Blindheim (aka Blenheim). However, all efforts to force the village against an enemy of so very superior numbers, and advantageously posted, proved ineffectual. As the brigade withdrew, it was charged by some French cavalry, who were repulsed by the fire of a Hessian brigade. Brigadier-General Fergusson then led another brigade against the other side of the village; but without success. A sharp fire was afterwards kept up at this point, and the army deployed to engage the main body of the Franco-Bavarian army. After a contest which lasted for several hours, the right wing of the Franco-Bavarian army, under the Maréchal de Tallard was nearly annihilated. When the main body of their army was overthrown, the French troops in Blindheim were isolated; thrice they attempted to escape, but they were forced back. They took shelter behind the houses and enclosures; but they were soon surrounded, and 12 squadrons of cavalry, with 24 battalions of infantry, surrendered prisoners of war. In this battle the regiment lost Captains Dawes, Sir John Sands, Cavendish, and Burton, Lieutenants Frazer and Wycks, Ensigns Breams and Dawson killed; Colonel Lord North and Grey lost his right hand; Major Granville, Captains Cunningham and Spotswood, Lieutenants Bulwer, Boylblanc and Hornby, Ensigns Crow and Rossington, wounded. The regiment and four other British regiment were afterwards to escort the prisoners from Germany to the Dutch Republic. The prisoners were marched to Mainz, where they were put on board of small vessels, and sailed to Holland. In October, the regiment arrived at the Hague and, having delivered up the prisoners, it was placed in garrison for the winter.
In the spring of 1705, a numerous body of fine recruits arrived from England to replace the losses of the preceding campaign. In May, the regiment took the field and was reviewed by the Duke of Marlborough, at the camp on the left bank of the Meuse, and afterwards marched to Juliers. From Juliers the regiment marched through a mountainous country to the valley of the Moselle, and pitched its tents near the ancient city of Trier. On 3 June, the army being united, it passed the rivers Moselle and Saar, traversed the difficult defile of Tavernen, and encamped within 11 km of Syrk. At this place the army halted, waiting for the Imperialists, whose tardy movements and inefficient state disappointed the expectations of the British commander, and rendered it necessary for him to hurry back to the Netherlands to arrest the progress of the French on the Meuse. In the forced march from Syrk to the Meuse, the regiment lost many men from fatigue; and soon after its arrival, it was selected to take part in storming the enemy's fortified lines, which were protected by a numerous army. To render this great undertaking as certain as possible, these formidable barriers were menaced on the south of the Mehaigne, and the French troops being drawn in that direction, the point selected for the attack was thus weakened. On the evening of 17 July, the corps selected to commence the attack marched in the direction of Helixem and Neer-Hespen, the regiment forming part of the leading brigade of infantry; and they were followed by the remainder of the army. About 4:00 a.m. On 18 July, they approached the lines and surprised the enemy's guards. The soldiers soon cleared the villages of Neer-Winden and Neer-Hespen, seized the village and bridge of Helixem, and carried the Castle of Wange with little loss ; the enemy being surprised and confounded by the suddenness of the attack. Encouraged by this success, and stimulated by the noble example of several officers, the troops rushed through the enclosures and marshy grounds, forded the river Gheet, and crowded across the fortifications; the French retreating in a panic. A numerous body of the enemy's cavalry and infantry hurried to the spot to drive back the troops which had passed the lines but was forced to retreat after some sharp fighting. The regiment shared in the operations of the main army during the remainder of the campaign, but had no opportunity of distinguishing itself in action. In passed the winter in garrison in the Dutch Republic.
In May 1706, the regiment took the field. On 19 May, it joined the army at the camp near Tongres. On 23 May, the regiment took part in the Battle of Ramillies where it was deployed on the right of the line. It proceeded, with a number of other units, in the direction of the village of Autre-Eglise and made a demonstration of attacking the enemy's left. The French weakened their centre to support their left, and Marlborough instantly seized the opportunity and attacked the weakened point. The regiment was among the units which, occupying some high ground on the right, were not engaged during the early part of the battle. At length a crisis arrived and the brigades on the right were ordered into action. The effect of this surprising victory was the immediate surrender of Bruxelles, Ghent, and the principal towns of Brabant. The gallant Lord North and Grey, was promoted to the rank of brigadier-general and placed at the head of three battalions of infantry. In June, the regiment marched to Arseele and afterwards to Rouselaer, and formed part of the covering army during the siege of Ostend, which fortress was delivered up on 8 July. The regiment was then selected to take part in the siege of Menin, a strong town on the little river Lys. On 23 July, Menin was invested. The regiment sustained considerable loss in carrying on the attacks, but the soldiers had the gratification of witnessing this place added to the numerous conquests made during this memorable campaign. Dendermonde and Ath were afterwards captured. In November, the regiment took up its winter-quarters at Ghent.
For the campaign of 1707, the regiment was attached to the brigade commanded by its colonel, Brigadier-General Lord North and Grey. The regiment was encamped for a time of Waterloo. In October, it returned to Ghent.
In mid-March, the regiment was recalled to England to defend the coasts against a potential French invasion. On 21 March, it arrived at Tynemouth. The French squadron, with the Pretender on board, having been chased from the British coast by the British fleet, the regiment was ordered to Flanders. It landed at Ostend and proceeded in boats to Ghent, where it arrived towards the end of April. In May, the regiment quitted Ghent and was engaged in the operations of the main army. Soon afterwards the French, by treachery and stratagem, obtained possession of the two towns of Ghent and Bruges. They also invested Oudenarde. On 11 July, the regiment, commanded by Lieutenant-Colonel Grove, took part in the Battle of Oudenarde. It passed the Scheldt by the bridge between Oudenarde and the Abbey of Eename, and ascended the heights of Bevere. At this place it halted a short time, then descended into the plain, and engaged the French battalions in the grounds beyond the rivulet, near the village of Eyne. About 5:00 p.m., the regiment opened its fire, and it continued to gain ground upon its opponents, until the shades of evening gathered over the field of battle. The wings of the Allied army gained upon the enemy, and the circling blaze of musketry enveloped the French troops, whose destruction appeared inevitable, but the darkness of the night soon rendered it impossible to distinguish friends from foes, and the Duke of Marlborough ordered his soldiers to cease firing, and to halt. The darkness favoured the escape of the enemy, and the wreck of the French army retreated in disorder towards Ghent. During the ensuing siege of Lille, the regiment formed part of the covering army under the Duke of Marlborough, while the siege was carried on by the brigades under Prince Eugène. Eventually the grenadier company joined the besieging army, and took part in the attacks on the town. When the Elector of Bavaria besieged Bruxelles, the regiment formed part of the force which advanced to raise the siege. On 27 November, the enemy's strong positions on the Scheldt were forced and the Elector made a precipitate retreat. On 9 December, the citadel of Lille surrendered. The regiment was then called upon to engage in another enterprise. It appeared before Ghent, drove back the enemy's out-guards. On the night of 24 December, it took part in opening the trenches between the Scheldt and the Lys, on which occasion its colonel, Lord North and Grey, distinguished himself and was rewarded, a few days afterwards, with the rank of major-general. On 26 December, 10 companies of French grenadiers issued from the town to attack the besieging troops and they put the first regiment they came in contact with in some confusion. The regiment was immediately led to the spot and engaged the French grenadiers with spirit. The commanding officer of the regiment, Lieutenant-Colonel Grove, was made prisoner, and Brigadier-General Evans, who commanded the troops at that point, was also captured; but the enemy was soon driven back into the town.
On 2 January 1709, the governor of Ghent surrendered and the regiment took up its quarters for the winter in the captured town. In the Spring, the regiment marched from Ghent to the plain of Lille and was afterwards encamped on the Upper Dyle. After menacing the enemy's lines and causing Maréchal Villars to draw all the troops out of the fortified towns, which could possibly be spared, to strengthen his army in the field, the Allies suddenly invested Tournai. During the siege of the town, the regiment formed part of the covering army but, when the citadel was attacked, along with several other units, the regiment left the covering army and marched to Tournai to take part in the siege. The citadel of Tournai was situated on some high ground, with a gentle ascent from the town, and the siege proved a service of the most difficult character. The peculiarities arose not so much from the strength of the fortifications, as from the multiplicity of the subterraneous works, which were more numerous than those aboveground. The approaches were carried on by sinking pits several fathoms deep, and working from thence underground, until the troops arrived at the casements and mines. The soldiers engaged in these services frequently encountered parties of the enemy, and numerous combats occurred in these gloomy labyrinths. The regiment lost a number of men in the mines. At length it became difficult to induce the soldiers to enter these dark caverns and engage in so appalling a service; they were, however, persuaded to persevere, and the citadel surrendered in the beginning of September. After the capture of Tournai, the Allied army traversed the country with a view of besieging the city of Mons, the capital of the province of Hainault; but when on the march, the Allies found the French army, under Maréchal Villars and Maréchal Boufflers, in position near Malplaquet. On 11 September, the regiment took part in the Battle of Malplaquet where it was brigaded with the Foot Guards, the 1st Royal Foot and Thomas Meredith's Foot in a column commanded by General Count Lottum. This column was charged with the storming of the French entrenchments in the wood of Taisniere, which proved a difficult service. The Foot Guards led the attack and behaved with great gallantry, but they encountered such formidable opposition that they were repulsed. The 1st Royal Foot seconded the Foot Guards, and Prince George of Denmark's Foot, being at the head of the next brigade, prolonged the attack to the left. The Lord North and Grey's Foot penetrated between the 1st Foot and Prince George of Denmark's Foot, and the whole rushing forward with determined resolution, forced the entrenchments, when the French fell back fighting, but halted and renewed the contest in the wood. The regiment and other units at this point, penetrated among the trees, and a sharp fire of musketry was kept up. The foliage was thick, every tree was disputed, and the wood re-echoed the din of battle. In the meantime a severe contest was taking place at other parts of the field and the enemy's centre was forced; the cavalry of the Allied army triumphed over the French horsemen; and the regiment and other British units in the woods of Taisniere gained ground on their opponents. Eventually the French were driven from the field. In this battle, the regiment lost Lieutenants Fellowes and Elstead wounded. After the victory of Malplaquet, the siege of Mons was undertaken and the regiment formed part of the covering army. On 20 October, the garrison of Mons surrendered and shortly afterwards the regiment marched into winter-quarters at Ghent.
In mid-April 1710, the regiment left its winter-quarters and directed its march to the vicinity of Tounai where the Allied army assembled. The capture of the small post of Mortagne proved a prelude to another campaign in which several fortresses were wrested from the French monarch. By a forced march, the French lines were passed at Pont-à-Vendin, and the siege of Douai, a considerable fortress in the second line of defence which covered the frontiers of Artois, was undertaken. The regiment, commanded by Lieutenant-Colonel Henry Grove, had its post in the lines of circumvallation, but did not take part in the attacks upon the works. When the French army, under Maréchal Villars, advanced to raise the siege, the regiment was in position to oppose the enemy, and it had several men killed and wounded by a heavy cannonade which occurred on that occasion. Maréchal Villars did not hazard an engagement. On 27 June, the governor of Douai surrendered after a very gallant defence. After this conquest, Marlborough resolved to attack Béthune. During the siege, the regiment had its post in the covering army encamped at Villars-Brulin where the regiment was stationed until the garrison of Béthune surrendered on 29 August. The next undertaking in which the army was engaged was the siege of Aire and Saint-Venant, which towns were so situated as to admit of a simultaneous investment. The capture of these fortresses would secure the navigation of the Lys and open a water communication with Tournai, Lille and Ghent. The regiment was among the corps engaged in the siege of Aire and as the governor of that place made a very vigorous defence, a severe loss was sustained in killed and wounded. The regiment was several times warmly engaged in carrying on the attacks and storming the outworks; on which occasions its gallant bearing called forth the commendations of the Prince of Anhalt who commanded the troops employed in the siege. On 9 November, the garrison of Aire surrendered. The regiment then marched to Courtrai, a town of Hainault, situate on the river Lys. At this place the regiment passed the winter and its losses were replaced by recruits from England.
Towards the end of April, 1711, the regiment was again in the field. On 8 June, it was reviewed at the camp at Warde by the Duke of Marlborough. It afterwards encamped on the plains of Lens. A new line of formidable entrenchments, defended by a powerful French army under the command of Maréchal Villars, appeared as a barrier to arrest the victorious career of the Allied army. However, Marlborough, by menacing the enemy's left, and making ostentatious preparations for storming the works at that point, occasioned the French troops to be drawn to that quarter; in the meantime he had privately assembled a number of corps at Douai and by a forced march these formidable works were passed at the unguarded post of Arleux. The regiment had the honour to take part in forcing these lines and was afterwards engaged in the siege of Bouchain, a well-fortified town situate on both sides of the river Scheldt. In carrying on the attacks and performing its turn of duty in the trenches, the regiment had several men killed and wounded. The garrison surrendered in September and after the damaged works were repaired, the regiment went into winter-quarters.
In April 1712, the regiment took the field and the British troops were assembled near Toumai. The Duke of Ormond assumed the command in succession to the Duke of Marlborough. According to the returns of this period, the regiment brought 623 rank and file into the field. From Toumai the regiment advanced to the vicinity of Bouchain. It subsequently formed part of the covering army, encamped at Cateau-Cambresis, during the siege of Le Quesnoy which surrendered on 4 July. Soon afterwards a suspension of arms was proclaimed between the British and French, preparatory to a treaty of peace, and the Duke of Ormond withdrew, with the troops under his orders, to Ghent, from whence several corps were detached to Dunkerque, to take possession of that fortress. The regiment subsequently quartered at Ghent. It remained in Flanders while the negotiations were being carried on at Utrecht.
In April 1714, the regiment was in garrison at the strong maritime town of Nieuport.
In mid-August 1715, the regiment returned to England.
There were still no regulation concerning uniforms and colonels were responsible for the clothing of their soldiers. Therefore, there were wide variations from one regiment to another.
Hairs were worn long in a “long bob”. They were sometimes tied at the back of the neck. The hair bag was also already in use.
Men as well as officers were clean-shaven. Officers sometimes wore small moustaches.
A few years after the revolution in 1688, the regiment was clothed in red as the other English infantry regiments.
|Neck stock||knotted white linen neck-cloth with ends hanging or tucked into the top of the coat|
|Coat||red with pewter buttons along the full length of the right side and 1 pewter button on each side in the small of the back
N.B.: the coats of grenadiers had tufted laced loops ornamenting the buttonholes down to the waist
|Waistcoat||long blue waistcoat with pewter buttons|
|Stockings||during campaigns, a first pair of finer stockings was pulled up under the breeches at the knees while a coarser pair of red stockings was worn over them, pulled over the knees and fastened with a leather strap and buckle|
|Gaiters||gaiters were gradually adopted during the campaigns in the Low Countries|
Musketeers were armed with a musket without sling, a bayonet and a sword. Grenadiers were armed with a firelock with a sling, a hatchet, a bayonet and grenades.
NCOs wore uniforms almost identical to those of privates with the following differences:
- tricorne laced silver
- silver braids on the seams of the coat
Sergeants initially carried a halberd and corporals a musket. Gradually, all NCOs were equipped with musket.
Officers wore beaver tricornes laced gold (probably reserved to superior officers) or silver (probably reserved to subaltern officers). They also wore the fashionable full flowing curled wigs. On service they usually plaited their wig.
A large gorget was worn around the neck tied with ribbons. The gorget was gilt for captains, black studded with gold for lieutenants and silver for ensigns.
Officers usually wore uniforms somewhat similar to those of privates (even though there were not yet any regulation compelling them to do so), made of finer material. Their coats were decorated with gold or silver braids down the seams and on the sleeves; and with gold or silver embroidered buttonholes. Cuffs were usually of the same colour as the coat instead of the distinctive colour of the regiment.
The waistcoats of officers were often decorated with gold or silver fringes.
A crimson sash (often interwoven with gold or silver and fringed similarly) was worn around the waist.
Breeches were tied with rosettes below the knee.
Officers wore gloves, often decorated with gold or silver fringes.
Officers carried a sword and a half pike or a spontoon.
The cartouche box of officers were often covered in velvet and decorated with gold or silver embroideries.
In 1708, the Duke of Marlborough ordered all officers serving in Flanders to have, in sign of mourning, red coats with black buttons and black buttonholes for that year.
Drummers and hautboys usually wore coat of the facing colour of the regiment, decorated with lace on the seams of sleeves and back and on the buttonholes. Their coat was decorated with the crowned King's cypher or the Colonel's crest embroidered on the breast and back. Sometimes their coat had hanging sleeves.
Colonel's Colour: plain light yellow field;
Lieutenant-Colonel's Colour: light yellow field with the red cross of St. George bordered white;
Major's Colour: light yellow field with the red cross of St. George bordered white; a red pile wavy;
1st Captain's Colours: light yellow field with the red cross of St. George bordered white; centre device consisting of a suffle or organ in gold in the centre of the cross.
The website The War Office – Battle of Blenheim gives a totally different set of colours:
Colonel's Colour: red field; centre device consisting of a gold royal sun;
Lieutenant-Colonel's Colour: red field with the red cross of St. George bordered white; centre device consisting of a gold royal sun.
Later during the war
no information found
This article incorporates texts of the following source:
- Cannon, Richard: Historical record of the Tenth, or The North Lincolnshire Regiment of Foot, London: Parker, Furnivall and Parker, 1847
Farmer, John S.: The Regimental Records of the British Army, London: Grant Richards, 1901
Lawson, Cecil C. P.: A History of the Uniforms of the British Army, Vol. 1 From the beginning to 1760, London: Kaye & Ward, pp. 12-54, 77, 136
Middleton, Alan: The Royal Lincolnshire Regiment (10th Foot) in Lincolnshire Life
Mills, T. F., Land Forces of Britain the Empire and Commonwealth (an excellent website which unfortunately does not seem to be online any more)
Walton, Clifford: History of the British Standing Army A.D. 1660 to 1700, London, 1894, pp. 45, 275, 854
N.B.: the section Service during the War is partly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.