Tercio Provincial Nuevo de Burgos

From Project WSS
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: War of the Spanish Succession (Main Page) >> Armies >> Spanish Army (Bourbon) >> Tercio Provincial Nuevo de Burgos

Origin and History

As per a royal decree dated 20 January 1694, each province of Spain had to raise a provincial tercio of 1,000 men to reinforce the army. Accordingly, on 20 March 1694, the Province of Burgos raised the “Tercio Provincial Nuevo de Burgos”. It consisted of:

  • staff
    • 1 maestre de campo
    • 1 sargento mayor (major)
    • 1 capellan mayor (major chaplain)
    • 2 adjutants
    • 1 furriel mayor (major quartermaster)
    • 1 tambour mayor
    • 1 captain of campaign
    • 1 surgeon
  • 15 companies, each of:
    • 1 captain (to the exception of one company placed directly under the command of the maestre de campo
    • 1 page
    • 1 sergeant
    • 1 standard bearer
    • 1 drummer
    • soldiers

In 1694, the new tercio was not yet completed when it took part in the Battle of Torroella where it suffered heavy losses. It was then assigned to the defence of Gerona which capitulated on 23 August. The tercio then marched to Toledo.

In 1695, the tercio marched to Gibraltar and was transported to Ceuta which was besieged by the Moors. It remained in Ceuta until 1700.

In 1700, the tercio returned to Gibraltar where it relieved the Tercio del Casco de Granada. It later returned to Ceuta.

In 1707, the tercio was transformed into a regiment designated as the “Regimiento de Burgos”.

During the War of the Spanish Succession, the tercio was under the command of:

  • from 1699: Don Antonio Mesia de la Cerda y Carcamo
  • from 1703: Don Antonio del Castillo
  • from 21 April 1711: Don Isidoro Usel y Guimbarda
  • from 1712 Don Felix de Escalera

On 20 April 1715, the disbanded “Regimiento de Triana” was incorporated in the regiment.

Service during the War

In 1701, the tercio was stationed in Ceuta on the coast of North Africa. On 24 January, it greatly distinguished itself in a sortie where Adjutant Don Francisco Carvajal was wounded. On 26 March, the tercio was relieved by other units and returned to Gibraltar. At the beginning of September, it received recruits brought from Cádiz by Captain Don Gonzalo Lopez Paez. It then marched to join the garrison of Cádiz.

On 26 August 1702, an Allied expedition against Cádiz landed troops at Rota. The tercio then marched to the camp of Buenavista where it joined other units. On 27 September, this corps marched on the harbour of Santa Maria and drove the Allies out of the town. On 1 October, the Allies re-embarked. The tercio then returned to Gibraltar.

In 1703, the tercio returned to Cádiz to join the Army of Extremadura under the command of General Villadarias.

In 1704, the tercio took part in the invasion of Portugal. On 8 June, it was present at the capture of Marvão; on 12 June, at the capture of Castelo de Vide. It later stormed the fortified village of San Aleixo. In November, Gibraltar having been occupied by the Allies, the tercio marched under General Villadarias to lay siege to the place during which in worked in the trenches.

In 1705, when the Franco-Spanish army raised the siege of Gibraltar, the tercio returned to Cádiz to the exception of three companies who, under the command of Captain Don Juan Alavés of the grenadiers, embarked aboard two boats to escort four siege pieces. The British despatched a frigate to chase them. The frigate caught up with the boats, firing more than 200 cannonshots. The three companies resisted the terrible fire to save the artillery. Captain Nicolás Varela, the lieutenant of Alavés' grenadier company and several soldiers perished in this action. The boat transporting the artillery pieces had been hit by several cannonballs and was on the point of sinking. It proceeded towards the coast. The pieces and their escort then marched to Cádiz.

In 1706, the entire tercio joined the Army of Extremadura and was assigned to the garrison of Badajoz. On 4 June, a second battalion was raised in Burgos. On 10 October, the Allies laid siege to Badajoz which was relieved on 15 October by the Maréchal de Tessé.The tercio then left Extremadura and marched to Castile.

In January 1707, the tercio returned to Cádiz where it was brigaded with Sevilla, Osuna and Valladolid, deployed in the centre of the first line. In February 1707, the tercio was transformed into a regiment designated as the “Regimiento de Burgos”. On 25 April, the regiment took part in the Battle of Almansa. It then pursued the Allies up to Catalonia. It was then allocated to the garrison of Fraga where it remained until September. In September, it took part in the siege of Lérida who surrendered on 11 November. Two piquets of the regiment, who escorted a convoy from Lérida to Bellpuig, won an engagement against migueletes.

In 1708, the regiment was assigned to the Army of Extremadura under the Marquis de Bay. On 25 September, a detachment of the regiment (the grenadier company and a piquet) led by General Don José de Armendariz made itself master of Barbacena near Elvas gathering a good booty and obtaining a contribution of 6,000 doubloons from the inhabitants.

On 7 May 1709, the regiment took part in the victorious Battle of La Gudiña where it was brigaded with the Regimiento de Leon deployed in the centre of the first line. It then took part in the blockade of Olivenza but the excessive heath forced the Franco-Spanish army to canton. In October, the grenadiers and piquets of the regiment along with 900 men from other units were attached to a force under the command of Don Antonio Montenegro who advanced on Mirando do Douro by the bridge of Almaráz and Salamanca. The 400 grenadiers of this detachment were under the command of the colonel of the regiment, Brigadier Don Antonio del Castillo. The operation was so well conceived and executed with such stealthy speed that the Portuguese fell into the trap, losing 400 men taken prisoners and several pieces of artillery.

In 1710, still attached to Montenegro's column, the regiment marched to Castile and penetrated into Portuguese territory. On 2 June, it surprised the town of Miranda in the Province of Trás-os-Montes, escalating its walls. On 14 June, it was at the capture of Carvajales. It then advanced on Bragança and plundered the place. The regiment then joined the Army of Catalonia directly commanded by King Philip V. On 27 July, the regiment took part in the Battle of Almenar and, on 20 August, in the disastrous Battle of Saragossa. After the defeat, the regiment retired to Extremadura from where it marched to Salamanca, effecting a junction with the army of the Duc de Vendôme at the bridge of Almaráz. Vendôme then advanced from Talavera towards Madrid. The grenadiers and piquets of the regiment were incorporated in a column of similar troops placed under the command of the generals Marquis de Valdecañas and Marquis de Thoy. This column took position at Guadalajara to observe the manoeuvres of the Allies. The column then reached Brihuega where Vendôme's army concentrated. On 9 December, the regiment took part in the Combat of Brihuega and, on 10 December, in the decisive Battle of Villaviciosa.

On 4 January 1711, the regiment marched with 11 battalions under the command of the Marquis de Navamorquende to the Province of Extremadura.

On 28 September 1712, the regiment was with the corps who laid siege to Campomajor. In mid-November, it took its winter-quarters. On 12 December, an armistice was signed and the regiment was quartered in Cáceres.

On 6 January 1713, when the armistice was renewed, the regiment was cantoned at Villanueva de la Serena. On 17 August, it was transferred to the Army of Aragon.

Uniform

On 30 December 1706, an Ordenanza de Infantería was published. It stipulated that all regular line infantry uniforms would now be white with the colour of the former uniform becoming the distinctive colour used for cuffs and waistcoat. On 28 February 1707, a royal decree reinforced this ordenanza. The new uniform were made in France, so it is very likely that some regiments had not received their new uniforms for the campaign of 1707. In fact, it seems that the officers and musicians of some regiment were still wearing the old uniform in 1707 at the Battle of Almansa, while the rank and file wore the new uniforms.

Privates

Uniform circa 1700 - Copyright Kronoskaf
Uniform Details as per
Picouet
Headgear
Musketeer black felt cocked hat laced yellow with a red cockade or broad brimmed hat turned up on one side or another
Grenadier no information found
Neckstock white
Coat turquoise with red lining and with tin buttons on the right side and 1 tin button on each side in the small of the back
Collar none
Shoulder Straps none
Lapels none
Pockets horizontal pockets, each with 3 tin buttons
Cuffs red, each with 3 tin buttons
Turnbacks none
Waistcoat red with tin buttons
Breeches turquoise
Stockings red fastened under the knee with a natural leather strap
Gaiters no information found
Leather Equipment
Crossbelt natural leather
Waistbelt natural leather
Cartridge Box natural leather
Bayonet Scabbard n/a
Scabbard black
Footwear black shoes with a brass buckle


Rank and file were armed with a sword, a bayonet and a musket

According to the Ordenanza de Infantería, from around 1707, the uniform of the regiment would be quite different with a white coat with turquoise lining, turquoise cuffs, white breeches and turquoise stockings.

Officers

Uniforms of officers differed from those of privates and NCOs by the finer material used. Their waistcoat, saddle cloth and housings were edged with a wide golden braid.

In the infantry, officers wore a silver or gold gorget and a spontoon.

The regulation of 30 December 1704 specified the distinctive of each military rank:

  • colonel: a baton with a gold knob
  • lieutenant-colonel: a baton with a silver knob
  • sargento mayor: a baton with a silver topped knob
  • captain: baton as worn under the reign of the Habsburg
  • lieutenant: baton as worn under the reign of the Habsburg
  • sub-lieutenant: baton with a horn band and a silver ring

NCOs

The regulation of 30 December 1704 specified the distinctive of each military rank:

  • sergeant : baton without knob and halberd
  • mariscal de logis (quartermaster): small white woolen epaulette
  • brigadier: swagger stick
  • corporal of squadron: swagger stick
  • second corporal of squadron (rank suppressed in 1706): swagger stick

Musicians

no information found yet

Colours

no information found yet

References

This article is mostly made of abridged and adapted excerpts from the following books which are now in the public domain:

  • Clonard, Conde de, Historia Orgánica de las Armas de Infantería y Caballería, vol. X, Madrid, 1851-62, pp. 364-373

Acknowledgement

Joseph O’Neill for the information on the new uniforms issued in 1707.