Tercio Provincial Nuevo de Valladolid Verdes Nuevos

From Project WSS
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: War of the Spanish Succession (Main Page) >> Armies >> Spanish Army (Bourbon) >> Tercio Provincial Nuevo de Valladolid Verdes Nuevos

Origin and History

As per a royal decree dated 20 January 1694, each province of Spain had to raise a provincial tercio of 1,000 men to reinforce the army. Accordingly, on 4 May 1694, the Province of Valladolid raised the “Tercio Provincial Nuevo de Valladolid” under the command of Don Francisco Antonio Diez Pimienta. It was also known as the “Tercio de los Verdes Nuevos”. It consisted of:

  • staff
    • 1 maestre de campo
    • 1 sargento mayor (major)
    • 1 capellan mayor (major chaplain)
    • 2 adjutants
    • 1 furriel mayor (major quartermaster)
    • 1 tambour mayar
    • 1 captain of campaign
    • 1 surgeon
  • 15 companies, each of:
    • 1 captain (to the exception of one company placed directly under the command of the maestre de campo
    • 1 page
    • 1 sergeant
    • 1 standard bearer
    • 1 drummer
    • soldiers

Once formed the tercio marched to Barcelona where it joined the Army of Catalonia in May 1694, during the Nine Years' War (1688–97). It was then sent to defend Hostalrich against the French until the capitulation of the place. In 1696, the tercio reinforced the garrison of Barcelona. In 1697, it defended Barcelona which surrendered on 10 August. The tercio retired with the honours of war.

In 1699, the tercio was sent to Gibraltar but was soon five companies were transferred to Ceuta on the coast of North Africa, threatened by the Moors. In April 700, the rest of the tercio relieved the Tercio de la Costa de Granada as garrison in Ceuta. The tercio was then increased to 700 men. It then defended Ceuta against several attacks until

In 1707, the tercio was transformed into a regiment designated as the “Regimiento de Valladolid”.

During the War of the Spanish Succession, the tercio was under the command of:

  • from 25 January 1695: Don Tomás Vicentello y Toledo (he supposedly commanded the tercio until 1707 even if Clonard states other commanders before that date)
  • from at least 1700: Don Juan Fernandez Aguirre
  • from at least 1706: Don Manuel Narváez
  • from 24 May 1712 to 1717: Don José de Vicaria (formerly lieutenant-colonel of the “Regimiento de Salamanca”)

The regiment was disbanded in 1734.

Service during the War

In 1701, the tercio defended Ceuta against the Moors. On 25 January, it repulsed an attack, inflicting heavy losses.

In 1702, the tercio returned to Spain where it assumed garrison duty in Cádiz. The Spanish forces around Cádiz were under the command of the Captain-General Marquis de Villadarias. At the end of August a large Anglo-Dutch amphibious force arrived to lay siege to Cádiz. Major Don Manuel Narváez of the tercio was charged to repair the fortifications of the Castle of Santa Catalina in the harbour of Santa Mario as well as the fortifications of the Castle of Matagorda. On 26 August, the Anglo-Dutch disembarked troops in the Cove of Cañuelos. On 1 and 2 September, they attacked the castles, forcing the tercio to retire to Jeréz where it remained until 27 September. It then advanced under Villadarias, drove the Allies out of Santa Maria and pursued them up to Rota.

In 1703, the tercio set off from Cádiz and marched to the Province of Extremadura.

In the Spring of 1704, the tercio campaigned under the command of King Philip V during the invasion of Portugal. Between 8 and 23 May, the tercio occupied Salvatierra, Idanha-a-Nova, Monsanto and Castelo Branco. On 27 May, it fought in an action at Sárceda where a Dutch division was routed. On 8 June, it took part in a combat near Portalegre and, on 28 June, in a combat near Castelo de Vide. The Marquis de Villadarias then asked troops to the king to reconquer Gibraltar. The tercio, to the exception of the company of Captain Don Francisco Carillo y Viedma who remained at Albuquerque, marched to Gibraltar where it arrived in July. From 2 August, it took part in the siege of Gibraltar. On 11 November, it was at the assault of the Pastel. It then retreated to Sevilla where it was reorganised as a regiment.

In February 1705, the tercio marched to the Province of Extremadura where it garrisoned Badajoz. Meanwhile, the company of Captain Don Francisco Carillo y Viedma was still posted at Albuquerque.

In 1706, the tercio took part to a second invasion of Portugal. It was at the unsuccessful siege of Elvas and then retired to Salamanca in Old Castile. At the beginning of August, the captain-general assembled the militias of Old Castile and effected a junction with the tercio. He was soon informed that a Portuguese cavalry regiment commanded by Don Angel de Mendozan was encamped at the bridge of Baños. He launched a surprise attack and captured the entire unit prisoners (including the Marquis das Minas' grandson). The tercio then joined the army assembling at Atienza in New Castile. It was then allocated to the right wing of the second line under its former Maestre de campo, General Don Tomás Vicentello. It then took part in the storming of Orihuela and Elche.

In 1707, the tercio was transformed into a regiment designated as the “Regimiento de Valladolid”. For that campaign, the regiment was incorporated into the Sevilla Brigade in the first line under the command of Don Antonio del Castillo. On 25 April, the regiment distinguished itself in the Battle of Almansa. It was then sent to the Province of Valencia once more.

In 1708, the regiment took part in the siege of Alcoy. On 4 January, it stormed the Convent of San Francisco and held this position until 10 January when the place surrendered. On 30 November, it was at the opening of the siege of Alicante.

On 7 March 1709, the town of Alicante finally capitulated and its garrison took refuge in the castle which surrendered on 15 April. The regiment was then sent to Sicily. It embarked at Alicante on 15 May and soon landed at Palermo where it formed part of the garrison.

In 1712, the regiment was still serving in Palermo.

In November 1713, the regiment evacuated Sicily and returned to Spain where it was allocated to the Army of Catalonia.

In 1714, the regiment remained in Catalonia and took part in the siege of Barcelona which surrendered on 11 September.

Uniform

On 30 December 1706, an Ordenanza de Infantería was published. It stipulated that all regular line infantry uniforms would now be white with the colour of the former uniform becoming the distinctive colour used for cuffs and waistcoat. On 28 February 1707, a royal decree reinforced this ordenanza. The new uniform were made in France, so it is very likely that some regiments had not received their new uniforms for the campaign of 1707. In fact, it seems that the officers and musicians of some regiment were still wearing the old uniform in 1707 at the Battle of Almansa, while the rank and file wore the new uniforms.

Privates

Uniform circa 1700 - Copyright Kronoskaf
Uniform Details as per
Picouet
Headgear
Musketeer black felt cocked hat laced yellow with a red cockade or broad brimmed hat turned up on one side or another
Grenadier no information found
Neckstock white
Coat green with red lining and with copper buttons on the right side and 1 copper button on each side in the small of the back
Collar none
Shoulder Straps none
Lapels none
Pockets horizontal pockets, each with 3 copper buttons
Cuffs red, each with 3 copper buttons
Turnbacks none
Waistcoat red with copper buttons
Breeches gree
Stockings red fastened under the knee with a natural leather strap
Gaiters no information found
Leather Equipment
Crossbelt natural leather
Waistbelt natural leather
Cartridge Box natural leather
Bayonet Scabbard n/a
Scabbard black
Footwear black shoes with a brass buckle


Rank and file were armed with a sword, a bayonet and a musket

According to the Ordenanza de Infantería, from around 1707, the uniform of the regiment would be quite different with a white coat with green lining, green cuffs, green breeches and green stockings.

Officers

Uniforms of officers differed from those of privates and NCOs by the finer material used. Their waistcoat, saddle cloth and housings were edged with a wide golden braid.

In the infantry, officers wore a silver or gold gorget and a spontoon.

The regulation of 30 December 1704 specified the distinctive of each military rank:

  • colonel: a baton with a gold knob
  • lieutenant-colonel: a baton with a silver knob
  • sargento mayor: a baton with a silver topped knob
  • captain: baton as worn under the reign of the Habsburg
  • lieutenant: baton as worn under the reign of the Habsburg
  • sub-lieutenant: baton with a horn band and a silver ring

NCOs

The regulation of 30 December 1704 specified the distinctive of each military rank:

  • sergeant : baton without knob and halberd
  • mariscal de logis (quartermaster): small white woolen epaulette
  • brigadier: swagger stick
  • corporal of squadron: swagger stick
  • second corporal of squadron (rank suppressed in 1706): swagger stick

Musicians

no information found yet

Colours

no information found yet

References

This article is mostly made of abridged and adapted excerpts from the following books which are now in the public domain:

  • Clonard, Conde de, Historia Orgánica de las Armas de Infantería y Caballería, vol. X, Madrid, 1851-62, pp. 181-198

Acknowledgement

Joseph O’Neill for the information on the new uniforms issued in 1707.