Tercio Provincial de Madrid Colorados Viejos

From Project WSS
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: War of the Spanish Succession (Main Page) >> Armies >> Spanish Army (Bourbon) >> Tercio Provincial de Madrid Colorados Viejos

Origin and History

The tercio was created during the Portuguese Restoration War (1640–1668) on 21 February 1658 in Cádiz from seven companies detached from the Armada (Navy) who had campaigned under the command of Don Pedro Paniagua, Marquis de Lanzarote with the Army of Extremadura against the Portuguese. Five new companies were immediately added to the tercio who was designated as the “Tercio de la Armada”.

In 1658, the tercio took part in the heroic defence of Badajoz; in 1659, in the unsuccessful siege of Yelves; in 1661, in the siege of Arronches; in 1662, in the storming of Borba, in a combat at Estremoz, in the siege and capture of Juromenha and in the capture of Veiros, Monforte, Cabeza da Vide, Alter de Chaou, Alter de Pedroso, Crato, Fronteira, Azumás and Onguelha; in 1663, in the capture of Evora and in the battle of Ameixial. In 1664, the tercio was posted in Badajoz. The same year, it was renamed “Tercio Provincial de Madrid”. In 1665, it took part in the siege of Vila Viçosa and in the battle of Monte Claros. In 1666, it defended various places in Extremadura.

In 1682, the tercio was transferred from Extremadura to Navarre. In 1684, it campaigned against the French in Catalonia, garrisoning Gerona and successfully defending it.

On 30 August 1664, the tercio was renamed “Tercio Provincial de Madrid”. It was also known as the “Tercio de los Colorados Viejos”. By 13 September 1667, the tercio counted 21 companies, including 137 officers, 70 sub-officers and 515 soldiers. It was soon reorganised in only eight companies.

In 1684, the tercio (then counting 21 companies) was sent to Catalonia.

On 28 February 1707, the tercio was transformed into a regiment designated as the “Regimiento de Sevilla”.

In 1689, during the Nine Years' War (1688–97), the tercio garrisoned Gerona once more. In 1691, it defended Seo de Urgel and was brought to France as prisoners of war. In 1692, it was exchanged and returned to Spain. In 1694, it fought in the battle of Torroella. In 1695, it garrisoned Barcelona before joining the field army. In 1697, it took part in the unsuccessful defence of Barcelona.

During the War of the Spanish Succession, the tercio was under the command of:

  • from 1696: José Crel de Lahoz y Blanco de Zuniga
  • from 1702: Don Francisco Antonio Ibañez de Ibero
  • from at least 1704: Don Jacinto de Pozo-Bueno
  • from at least 1707: Don Juan de Elguezabal
  • from 17??: Marquis de Gauna

In 1707, the former “Tercio Provincial de Madrid Colorados Viejos” was transformed into a regiment and took the name of “Regimiento de Sevilla”.

Service during the War

In 1701, the tercio formed part of the garrison of Cádiz.

In 1702, the tercio took part in the defence of Cádiz against a powerful Anglo-Dutch amphibious expedition. On 15 September, detachments of the tercio defended the forts of Santa Catalina and Matagorda against an attack. The detachment defending Santa Catalina was taken prisoners as it tried to retire to Cádiz; while the detachment defending Matagorda drove back the attackers with heavy losses. On 27 September, a detachment of arquebusiers took part in the attack on Rota. After the departure of the invaders, the tercio was posted at the harbour of Santa Maria.

In 1703, the tercio was transferred to the Province of Extremadura.

In 1704, during the campaign of Portugal, the tercio served in the division of the Prince de t'Sserclaes de Tilly and took part in the siege of Portalegre which surrendered on 8 July. A detachment of the tercio then made itself master of Marvão. On 12 July, it was at the surrender of Castelo de Vide.

In May 1705, the tercio was surrounded in the place of Albuquerque. On 22 May, it surrendered with the honours of war. On 2 October, it was in Badajoz when the Allies attacked the place.

In 1706, the tercio left the Province of Extremadura and joined the army of the Maréchal de Berwick in Castile where it was attached to the third brigade of the second line. At the end of the campaign, the tercio went to Albacete and San Clemente.

In 1707, the former “Tercio Provincial de Madrid Colorados Viejos” was transformed into a regiment and took the name of “Regimiento de Sevilla”. On 25 April, the regiment took part in the Battle of Almansa. In May, as part of d'Asfeld's Division, it participated in the siege of Játiva which surrendered on 25 May. Afterwards, it undertook the siege of Denia and, on 19 July, participated in an assault which was repulsed. The regiment was then assigned to the defence of Pego.

In 1708, the regiment took part in the siege of Alcoy and in the reconquest of Tortosa (10 July). It was then sent to pacify the district of Valencia. It participated in the capture of Denia on 17 November despite its courageous resistance.

In 1709, the regiment fought the insurgents in the district of Valencia.. It was then transferred to the frontier of Portugal.

In mid March 1710, the regiment joined the Army of Catalonia commanded personally by King Philip V which crossed the Segre River and advanced on the entrenched camp of the Allies near Balaguer. The Allies refused to give battle and remained in their entrenchments. The King's Army then retired to Lérida in Aragon. The Allies, who had been reinforced, then rapidly advanced. On 27 July, the regiment fought in the Battle of Almenar before retiring to Saragossa. On 20 August, it fought in the disastrous Battle of Saragossa. After the battle, the remnants of the regiment retreated to the mountains of Soria and then to Old Castile where it was brought back to full strength and received new uniforms and new equipment. It was then sent to join the Army of Extremadura. It was posted at Almaráz on the Tagus to protect the bridge. The regiment was then recalled to join the King's Army. On 9 December, it took part in the Combat of Brihuega and, on 10 December, in the decisive and victorious Combat of Villaviciosa.

In 1711, the regiment garrisoned Tortosa. On 25 October, it successfully drove back an Allied force under General Wezel who tried to storm the place of Tortosa.

In 1713, the regiment fought against partisans in Catalonia. It took part in the relief of Solsona, Oliana, Balsareny, Berga and Manresa and in punitive raids against Caldas, Castell-Tersol, Moyá, Llausanes and Secano. It also took part in actions at Talamanca, Monserrat, San Llorens and Sentmanat.

Uniform

On 30 December 1706, an Ordenanza de Infantería was published. It stipulated that all regular line infantry uniforms would now be white with the colour of the former uniform becoming the distinctive colour used for cuffs and waistcoat. On 28 February 1707, a royal decree reinforced this ordenanza. The new uniform were made in France, so it is very likely that some regiments had not received their new uniforms for the campaign of 1707. In fact, it seems that the officers and musicians of some regiment were still wearing the old uniform in 1707 at the 1707-04-25 – Battle of Almansa, while the rank and file wore the new uniforms.

Privates

Uniform circa 1700 - Copyright: Richard Couture
Uniform Details as per
Picouet
Headgear
Musketeer black felt cocked hat laced white with a red cockade or broad brimmed hat turned up on one side or another
Grenadier no information found
Neckstock white
Coat red with blue lining and with tin buttons on the right side and 1 tin button on each side in the small of the back
Collar none
Shoulder Straps none
Lapels none
Pockets horizontal pockets, each with 3 tin buttons
Cuffs blue, each with 3 tin buttons
Turnbacks none
Waistcoat blue with tin buttons
Breeches blue
Stockings blue fastened under the knee with a natural leather strap
Gaiters no information found
Leather Equipment
Crossbelt natural leather
Waistbelt natural leather
Cartridge Box natural leather
Bayonet Scabbard n/a
Scabbard black
Footwear black shoes with a brass buckle


Rank and file were armed with a sword, a bayonet and a musket

According to the Ordenanza de Infantería, from around 1707, the uniform of the regiment would be quite different with a white coat with red lining, red cuffs and red stockings.

Officers

Uniforms of officers differed from those of privates and NCOs by the finer material used. Their waistcoat, saddle cloth and housings were edged with a wide golden braid.

In the infantry, officers wore a silver or gold gorget and a spontoon.

The regulation of 30 December 1704 specified the distinctive of each military rank:

  • colonel: a baton with a gold knob
  • lieutenant-colonel: a baton with a silver knob
  • sargento mayor: a baton with a silver topped knob
  • captain: baton as worn under the reign of the Habsburg
  • lieutenant: baton as worn under the reign of the Habsburg
  • sub-lieutenant: baton with a horn band and a silver ring

NCOs

The regulation of 30 December 1704 specified the distinctive of each military rank:

  • sergeant : baton without knob and halberd
  • mariscal de logis (quartermaster): small white woolen epaulette
  • brigadier: swagger stick
  • corporal of squadron: swagger stick
  • second corporal of squadron (rank suppressed in 1706): swagger stick

Musicians

no information found yet

Colours

no information found yet

References

This article is mostly made of abridged and adapted excerpts from the following books which are now in the public domain:

  • Clonard, Conde de, Historia Orgánica de las Armas de Infantería y Caballería, vol. IX, Madrid, 1851-62, pp. 376-396

Acknowledgement

Joseph O’Neill for the information on the new uniforms issued in 1707.