Tercio de Mancheño

From Project WSS
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: War of the Spanish Succession (Main Page) >> Armies >> Spanish Army (Bourbon) >> Tercio de Mancheño

Origin and History

The first mentions of this tercio date from 1633 but its official date of creation is 1663. Until 1715, the tercio would be known by the name of its Maestre de Campo.

In 1663, during the Portuguese Restoration War (1640–1668), the tercio was sent to garrison Fuenterrabia. It then marched to Pasages and Badajoz where it formed part of the garrison. In 1664, it took part in the battle of Ameixial; in 1665, in the battle of Montes Claros. In 1666, it served in the Province of Extremadura.

At the beginning of June 1668, the tercio was sent to Flanders.

In 1674, during the Franco-Dutch War (1672–78), the tercio took part in the battle of Seneffe

In 1690, during the Nine Years' War (1688–97), the tercio took part in the relief of Mons; in 1692, in the defence of Charleroi which surrendered on 11 October; in 1693, in the battle of Landen; in 1695, in the defence of the lines between the Lys and the Scheldt, in the defence of Bruxelles and in the siege and capture of Namur.

During the War of the Spanish Succession, the tercio was under the command of:

  • from at least 1702: Don Francisco Pérez Mancheño
  • from at least 1713 to 10 February 1718: Marquis de Villescas

On 20 April 1715, the unit was renamed “Tercio de Cuenca”.

Service during the War

In April 1702, the tercio was at Namur.

In 1703, the tercio served in the Franco-Spanish army of the Maréchal de Boufflers. On 30 June, the tercio took part in the Battle of Ekeren near Antwerp.

In 1706, it took part in the attack on the lines between Menin and Courtrai and, on 26 May, was at the bombardment of Oudenarde. The tercio was then subdivided into two battalions who were sent to defend Bruxelles and Dendermonde.

In 1708, the two battalions of the tercio were sent to man the Lines of Ghent. They then reinforced the garrisons of Ghent and Bruges until their capitulations. On 28 September, they were at the Engagement of Wijnendale.

In 1713, by royal orders, the tercio evacuated the Low Countries and marched to Catalonia to fight the insurgents, taking the tower of San Pol, routing the rebels at Manresa and Verdú, surprising the Castle of Biosca and relieving Berga.

In 1714, the tercio protected the convoys destined to the army besieging Barcelona.


no information found yet


no information found yet


Uniforms of officers differed from those of privates and NCOs by the finer material used. Their waistcoat, saddle cloth and housings were edged with a wide golden braid.

In the infantry, officers wore a silver or gold gorget and a spontoon.

The regulation of 30 December 1704 specified the distinctive of each military rank:

  • colonel: a baton with a gold knob
  • lieutenant-colonel: a baton with a silver knob
  • sargento mayor: a baton with a silver topped knob
  • captain: baton as worn under the reign of the Habsburg
  • lieutenant: baton as worn under the reign of the Habsburg
  • sub-lieutenant: baton with a horn band and a silver ring


The regulation of 30 December 1704 specified the distinctive of each military rank:

  • sergeant : baton without knob and halberd
  • mariscal de logis (quartermaster): small white woolen epaulette
  • brigadier: swagger stick
  • corporal of squadron: swagger stick
  • second corporal of squadron (rank suppressed in 1706): swagger stick


no information found yet


no information found yet


This article is mostly made of abridged and adapted excerpts from the following books which are now in the public domain:

  • Clonard, Conde de, Historia Orgánica de las Armas de Infantería y Caballería, vol. X, Madrid, 1851-62, pp. 5-32