Tercio de la Costa de Granada

From Project WSS
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: War of the Spanish Succession (Main Page) >> Armies >> Spanish Army (Bourbon) >> Tercio de la Costa de Granada

Origin and History

The tercio was integrated in the regular army on 22 September 1658, during the Portuguese Restoration War (1640–1668). It was formed from a militia corps of the Coast of Granada who was serving in Extremadura against the Portuguese. The tercio immediately joined the army for the siege of Yelves. In 1659, when the Allies relieved Yelves, the tercio retired to Badajoz. In 1661, it took part in the siege and capture of Arronches; in 1662, in the sieges and capture of Borba and Juromenha; in 1663, in the capture of Evora, in the battle of Ameixial and in the vain defence of Evora; in 1664, in the defence of Valencia de Alcántara. In 1665, it took part in the siege of Vila Viçosa and in the battle of Montes Claros.

After the war, in 1668, the tercio was disbanded and its officers incorporated into the “Tercio de los Morados Viejos”.

In 1674, during the Franco-Dutch War (1672–78), the tercio (13 companies) was re-established in Velez-Málaga and sent to Catalonia. In 1678, the tercio embarked aboard a Dutch fleet at Málaga and sailed for Barcelona.

In 1689, during the Nine Years' War (1688–97), the tercio was initially stationed in Gerona. It then joined the field army and took part in the siege and capture of Camprodon. In September, the tercio was sent to relieve the places of Melilla and Larache on the coast of North Africa. In 1693, it garrisoned Gerona and Castell-Follit. In 1694, it took part in the Battle of Torroella and in the defence of Palamós. After the surrender of the place, it was sent to Gibraltar and then to Ceuta.

In 1700, the tercio which was still posted at Ceuta, received reinforcements.

On 28 February 1707, the tercio was transformed into a regiment designated as the “Regimiento de la Costa”.

During the War of the Spanish Succession, the tercio was under the command of:

  • from 1694: Don Gaspar de Ocio y Mendoza
  • from at least 1701: Don Vincente Primo y Daza
  • from 17??: Don Pedro Mesia de la Cerda
  • from 17??: Don Fernando Constanzo
  • from 17??: Don Gregorio Gual y Pueyo

Service during the War

In 1701, the tercio set off from Ceuta and returned to the coast of Granada. On 5 July, a few companies were sent to garrison Gibraltar and, on 12 July, the rest of the tercio joined them.

In 1702, the tercio was once more sent to Ceuta. On 14 July, the grenadiers of the tercio under Captain Don Juan Avilés distinguished themselves during a sortie.

On 18 May 1703, a detachment of the tercio took part in another sortie against the besiegers at Ceuta.

In 1704, the tercio was transferred to Cádiz to serve as garrison. However, it was soon transferred to the army who proceeded to the invasion of Portugal. On 8 June this army made itself master of Portalegre. On 13 July, it captured Castelo de Vide. The tercio was then transferred to Gibraltar to take part in the siege. On 12 September, it arrived at the camp in front of Gibraltar. On 21 October, the trenches were opened.

On 2 May 1705, the Franco-Spanish army raised the siege of Gibraltar and the tercio was sent to Ceuta.

On 28 February 1707, the tercio was transformed into a regiment designated as the “Regimiento de la Costa”. The same year, the regiment was transferred to the Province of Extremadura and took part in the siege of Serpa which surrendered on 29 May.. On 3 June, it made itself master of Moura.

In 1708, the regiment garrisoned Cádiz.

On 9 July 1709, a second battalion (13 companies) was added to the regiment.

In 1710, the regiment was transferred from Cádiz to Ceuta. On 4 April, its grenadiers distinguished themselves during a sortie. At the end of the year, the regiment was sent back to Cádiz.

In 1712, the regiment joined the army assembling in the Province of Extremadura under the Lieutenant-General Marquis de Bay for an offensive in Portugal. On 1 May, the regiment received orders to move to the area of Badajoz. It then took part in the advance on Yelves which was bombarded. On 28 September, it was part of the corps who undertook the siege of Campo Maior. On 4 October, a breach was opened in the walls of Campo Maior. On 17 October, the tercio took part in an unsuccessful assault on Campo Maior where its grenadiers under Captain Don Manuel de Chaves distinguished themselves. The regiment then retired to Extremadura.

In 1713, the regiment was sent to garrison Cádiz.

Uniform

On 30 December 1706, an Ordenanza de Infantería was published. It stipulated that all regular line infantry uniforms would now be white with the colour of the former uniform becoming the distinctive colour used for cuffs and waistcoat. On 28 February 1707, a royal decree reinforced this ordenanza. The new uniform were made in France, so it is very likely that some regiments had not received their new uniforms for the campaign of 1707. In fact, it seems that the officers and musicians of some regiment were still wearing the old uniform in 1707 at the Battle of Almansa, while the rank and file wore the new uniforms.

Privates

Uniform circa 1700 - Copyright Kronoskaf
Uniform Details as per
Picouet
Headgear
Musketeer black felt cocked hat laced white with a red cockade or broad brimmed hat turned up on one side or another
Grenadier no information found
Neckstock white
Coat grey with blue lining and with tin buttons on the right side and 1 tin button on each side in the small of the back
Collar none
Shoulder Straps none
Lapels none
Pockets horizontal pockets, each with 3 tin buttons
Cuffs blue, each with 3 tin buttons
Turnbacks none
Waistcoat blue with tin buttons
Breeches blue
Stockings red fastened under the knee with a natural leather strap
Gaiters no information found
Leather Equipment
Crossbelt natural leather
Waistbelt natural leather
Cartridge Box natural leather
Bayonet Scabbard n/a
Scabbard black
Footwear black shoes with a brass buckle


Rank and file were armed with a sword, a bayonet and a musket

According to the Ordenanza de Infantería, from around 1707, the uniform of the regiment would be quite different with a white coat with grey lining, grey cuffs and grey stockings.

Officers

Uniforms of officers differed from those of privates and NCOs by the finer material used. Their waistcoat, saddle cloth and housings were edged with a wide golden braid.

In the infantry, officers wore a silver or gold gorget and a spontoon.

The regulation of 30 December 1704 specified the distinctive of each military rank:

  • colonel: a baton with a gold knob
  • lieutenant-colonel: a baton with a silver knob
  • sargento mayor: a baton with a silver topped knob
  • captain: baton as worn under the reign of the Habsburg
  • lieutenant: baton as worn under the reign of the Habsburg
  • sub-lieutenant: baton with a horn band and a silver ring

NCOs

The regulation of 30 December 1704 specified the distinctive of each military rank:

  • sergeant : baton without knob and halberd
  • mariscal de logis (quartermaster): small white woolen epaulette
  • brigadier: swagger stick
  • corporal of squadron: swagger stick
  • second corporal of squadron (rank suppressed in 1706): swagger stick

Musicians

no information found yet

Colours

no information found yet

References

This article is mostly made of abridged and adapted excerpts from the following books which are now in the public domain:

  • Clonard, Conde de, Historia Orgánica de las Armas de Infantería y Caballería, vol. IX, Madrid, 1851-62, pp. 417-463