Thomas Brudenell's Foot

From Project WSS
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: War of the Spanish Succession (Main Page) >> Armies >> British Army >> Thomas Brudenell's Foot

Origin and History

This regiment was raised on the Irish Establishment on 28 June 1701 as Thomas Brudenell’s Regiment of Foot, with ten companies.

During the War of the Spanish Succession, the successive proprietors of the regiment were:

  • from 28 June 1701: Thomas Brudenell
  • from 31 March 1708: Joseph Johnson
  • from 28 March 1709 to 10 April 1714: Charles Churchill (jr)

After the war, the regiment was reduced on 10 April 1714.

Service during the War

In late 1703, the regiment, with a strength of thirteen companies, was shipped to Portugal.

In early 1707, the regiment was drafted into other regiments in Spain, and was re-formed in England subsequently.

On 23 December 1709, the regiment was constituted as a regiment of marines.

In 1711, the regiment was part of the expedition against Quebec.

On 25 March 1713, the regiment was constituted back as a regiment of foot, and placed on the Irish Establishment.

The regiment was reduced on 10 April 1714.

Uniform

There were still no regulation concerning uniforms and colonels were responsible for the clothing of their soldiers. Therefore, there were wide variations from one regiment to another.

Hairs were worn long in a “long bob”. They were sometimes tied at the back of the neck. The hair bag was also already in use.

Men as well as officers were clean-shaven. Officers sometimes wore small moustaches.

We have been unable to find any description of the uniform of this regiment.

Colours

no information found yet

References

Mills, T. F., Land Forces of Britain the Empire and Commonwealth

Acknowledgement

Wienand Drenth for the initial version of this article