Trivulzio Cavalry

From Project WSS
Revision as of 22:32, 22 December 2017 by RCouture (talk | contribs) (Added info from Clonard's work)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: War of the Spanish Succession (Main Page) >> Armies >> Spanish Army (Bourbon) >> Trivulzio Cavalry

Origin and History

The cavalry designated as “Estado de Milan” was raised in 1536 by Emperor Charles V from various companies attached to the General of Cavalry Marquis de Pescara. Its first commander was Don Pedro Ponce de Leon y Córdova.

This unit took part in all campaigns of the wars against France in Italy.

In April 1701, the Governor of the Duchy of Milan, the Prince de Vaudémont, reorganised the cavalry of this principality. On 20 April 1701, a review of the four cavalry regiments born from this reorganisation took place:

  1. “Regimiento del general de la caballeria” or Marquis de Balbases
  2. “Regimiento del Teniente General de la Caballeria del Estado Prince de Trivulzio” (the subject of the present article)
  3. “Regimiento de caballeria napolitana” or Valdefuentes
  4. “Regimiento de la caballeria extrajera del estado de Milan”

On this occasion, the regiment of the Prince de Trivulzio counted 12 companies, 67 officers, 357 mounted troopers and 18 dismounted troopers.

During the War of the Spanish Succession, the successive colonels of the regiment were:

  • since 20 April 1701: Lieutenant-General Antonio Tolomeo, Prince de Trivulzio

The regiment was disbanded on 6 August 1707 in Pamplona in Spain and incorporated in Real Asturias Cavalry.

Service during the War

In November 1703, the regiment was part of the Franco-Spanish army stationed in Piedmont. It was attached to the corps of MM. de Colmenero and d'Estaing, and was posted at Novara.

By 27 January 1704, the regiment was part of d'Estaing's Corps near Novara.

In 1707, after the conquest of the Duchy of Milan by the Austrians, the regiment was evacuated to Spain. On 6 August, it was disbanded in Pamplona and incorporated in Real Asturias Cavalry.

Uniform

no information found yet

Officers

Uniforms of officers differed from those of privates and NCOs by the finer material used. Their waistcoat, saddle cloth and housings were edged with a wide golden braid. They always wore a tricorne notwithstanding the headgear worn by soldiers.

The regulation of 30 December 1704 specified the distinctive of each military rank:

  • colonel: a baton with a gold knob
  • lieutenant-colonel: a baton with a silver knob
  • sargento mayor: a baton with a silver topped knob
  • captain: silver or golden epaulettes (according to the metal colour of the regiment) on both shoulders
  • lieutenant: silver or golden epaulette (according to the metal colour of the regiment) on the right shoulder
  • cornet: silver or golden epaulette (according to the metal colour of the regiment) on the left shoulder

NCOs

The regulation of 30 December 1704 specified the distinctive of each military rank:

  • sergeant : baton without knob and halberd
  • mariscal de logis (quartermaster): small woolen epaulette (red or of the distinctive colour of the regiment)
  • brigadier: swagger stick
  • corporal of squadron: swagger stick
  • second corporal of squadron (rank suppressed in 1706): swagger stick

Standards

no information found yet

References

This article is partly made of abridged and adapted excerpts from the following books which are now in the public domain:

  • Clonard, Conde de, Historia Orgánica de las Armas de Infantería y Caballería, vol. XV, Madrid, 1851-62, pp. 66-67

Dragonas Magazine

N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.

Acknowledgement

Jean-Pierre Loriot for the initial version of this article.