Origin and History
The regiment was raised 1703 as per the Treaty of 15 March of that year between the British and Dutch governments providing for an Augmentation Force of 20,000 men to be financed half by the States General and half by Great Britain. The regiment formed part of the Walloon contingent raised from Liège (Luikerwalen). Unlike the three infantry regiments raised from Liège, it was always in British pay from 1703 onwards. The regiment had a strength eight companies of 72 men.
The regiment was one of the few foreign troops that remained with Ormonde in 1712.
During the War of the Spanish Succession, the successive proprietors of the regiment were:
- from 1703 to 1713: Henry de Cort, Baron de Walef
The regiment was disbanded in 1713.
Service during the War
In December 1703, the new regiment was part of the troops quartered in Berg-op-Zoom and Steenbergen.
In 1704, the regiment served "on the coast". By 23 June, it formed part of the small army of General Sparre, posted at Lapscheure. By 5 July, this army was in the plain of Masle. By 10 July, the regiment was at Bassevelde in East-Flanders.
By 18 July 1705, the regiment was with the army in Flanders, in Fréchapelle's Brigade.
From 30 April to 2 May 1706, the regiment was at Sprang.
On 8 November 1707, five companies, then at Cologne, were ordered to join the rest of the regiment at Liège.
On 30 May 1708, the regiment was at the camp at St. Renelde. On 9 July, it was sent to reinforce Oudenarde. On 10 July, it took part in the attack on the French force under Chemerault, which had been sent to invest Oudenarde. On 11 July, the regiment was present at the Battle of Oudenarde, where it formed part of Erbach's Brigade.
In May 1710, the regiment formed part of the army covering the Siege of Douai. On 26 October, the regiment was ordered to move into garrison at Mons.
By 1 May 1711, the regiment was at the camp of Lewarde, where it was attached to Fagel's Brigade.
In July and August 1712, the regiment was present at the unsuccessful Siege of Landrecies.
The uniform is in part described by the Dutch painter and writer Jacob Campo Weyerman (1677-1747), as a "yellow camisol and buff leather gloves".
no information found yet
Vial, Jean-Louis: Nec Pluribus Impar – Liste ou établissemens de tous les Corps qui composent les 20.000 hommes dont la Reine de Grande Bretagne et les États Généraux sont convenus d'augmenter leurs troupes en 1703
Weyerman, Jacob Campo: Den Laplandschen tovertrommel, Vol. 8, p.42
1.01.02 Inventaris van het archief van de Staten-Generaal, (1431) 1576-1796, 12597.25
[Anon.]: The History of Francis-Eugene, Prince of Savoy, London, 1742, p. 264
Europische Mercurius, Vol. 9, Leyden and Amsterdam 1704, p.209
Drenth, Wienand: A Regimental list of the Half-pay officers for the year 1714 on the English and Irish Establishments, 2012
The London Gazette, Nr. 4385, Nov. 17th to 20th 1707.
Tindal, N.: The History of England, Vol. 17, London 1763. pp. 16, 550
Velden, Henk van: De regimenten van het Nederlandse leger – De Infanterie
N.B.: the section Service during the War is partly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.
Jörg Meier for the initial version of this article