Wolfgang Greder Infanterie
Hierarchical Path: War of the Spanish Succession (Main Page) >> Armies >> French Army >> Wolfgang Greder Infanterie
Origin and History
The regiment was created by a Lettre de cachet issued on 5 December 1673, during the Franco-Dutch War (1672–78). In 1676, the new regiment took part in the siege of Bouchain; in 1677, in the siege of Valenciennes and in the Battle of Cassel; and in 1678, in the siege of Ghent and Ypres, in the investment of Mons and in the Battle of Saint-Denis.
In 1684, the regiment formed part of the army who covered the siege of Luxembourg.
In 1689, at the outbreak of the Nine Years' War (1688-97), the regiment took part in the Battle of Walcourt; in 1690, in the Battle of Fleurus; in 1691, in the siege of Mons and in the Combat of Leuze; in 1692, in the capture of Namur and in the Battle of Steenkerque; in 1693, in the Battle of Landen and in the siege of Charleroi; in 1695, in the bombardment of Bruxelles; and in 1697, in the siege of Ath.
By the time of the War of the Spanish Succession, the regiment counted three battalions.
During the War of the Spanish Succession, the regiment was commanded by:
- from 5 December 1673: Wolfgang Marquis de Greder (began his military career as ensign in the Gardes Suisses, then returned to Switzerland before receiving command of a regiment at his name; promoted to brigadier on 3 September 1688)
- from 15 January 1691: Louis Marquis Greder (major in the regiment of his father before becoming its colonel; promoted to brigadier in 1696; died in Paris in February 1703)
- from 28 January 1703 to 14 December 1714: Balthazar Marquis Greder (youngest son of Louis Marquis Greder; promoted to brigadier on 10 January 1704; died in Paris on 14 December 1714)
Service during the War
In 1701, the regiment was attached to the corps who occupied the places of the Spanish Netherlands in the name of Philip V. It served in Boufflers's Army.
In 1702, the regiment was at the brilliant affair of Nijmegen.
In 1703, the regiment, initially under the command of Villeroy and then in Boufflers's Corps, took part in the Campaign in the Low Countries. On 30 June, it was at the Battle of Ekeren near Antwerp where its colonel was wounded.
In 1704, the regiment was part of the garrison of Termonde and contributed to the defence of the place.
On 23 May 1706, the regiment took part in the Battle of Ramillies where it defended the village. It then returned to Termonde.
In 1707, the regiment served with the Army of Flanders under the Duc de Vendôme who remained on the defensive.
On 11 July 1708, the regiment fought in the Battle of Oudenarde where it was deployed on the left wing and sustained the attacks of the Allies till the evening. The regiment then retired to Ghent.
On 11 September 1709, the regiment took part in the Battle of Malplaquet where it was initially kept in reserve behind the right wing as part of May's Brigade. This brigade executed a charge at the point of the bayonet, driving back the enemy and retreating after a combat of eight hours, once the two wings of the army had retired. In this sanguinary battle, Lieutenants Bordier and Knauss were killed; while Major Baron, Captain Travers and Lieutenants Megnet, Zelger and Frey were wounded. The regiment then assumed garrison duty in Aire.
In 1710, the regiment took part in the defence of Aire under the Marquis de Guébriant, governor of the place. The garrison (22 bns) finally capitulated after a siege of two months (from 16 September to November), obtaining the honours of war. On 12 November, the regiment marched out of Aire and took up its winter-quarters at Saint-Omer.
In 1711, after having spent winter in Saint-Omer, the regiment distinguished itself in the combat of Arleux.
In 1712, on 8 September, the regiment took part in the attack against Douai. By 4 October, it was at the siege of Le Quesnoy and then, on October 19, at the capitulation of Bouchain.
|Coat||garance red with blue lining; blue trimmed buttonholes; pewter buttons on the right side and 1 pewter button on each side in the small of the back
|Waistcoat||blue with pewter buttons|
|Stockings||white fastened under the knee with a natural leather strap|
|Gaiters||none at the beginning of the war, white later|
Armaments consisted of a musket and a bayonet. Fusiliers carried a sword (brass hilt) while the grenadiers had a sabre.
no information found yet
no information found yet
no information found yet
Colonel Colour: white field with a white cross; each canton decorated with 18 golden fleurs de lys arranged 4-3-4-3-4.
Ordonnance Colour: a white cross; each canton carrying 9 flames (black, red, white, green, red, green, white, red, black).
The article incorporates texts from the following books which are now in the public domain:
- Susane, Louis: Histoire de l'ancienne infanterie française, J. Corréard, Paris, 1849-1856, Tome 6, pp. 388-391
Funcken, Liliane and Fred: Les uniformes de la guerre en dentelle, p. 55
Lemau de la Jaisse, P.: Abregé de la Carte Générale du Militaire de France, Paris, 1734, p. 118
Marbot, Alfred de and E. Dunoyer de Noirmont: Les uniformes de l'armée française, T1 "1439 à 1789"
Vasis, Jules: Historique du 69e régiment d'infanterie, Librairie Chapelot, 1913
Jean-Pierre Loriot for the initial version of this article