Origin and History
The ship was built in Harwich and launched in 1757.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- 1758 and 1759: captain Samuel Barrington
The ship was hulked in 1778 and sold in June 1784.
Service during the War
In August 1757, the ship joined the fleet assembling at Spithead under the command of sir Edward Hawke. On September 8, this fleet sailed. It escorted 45 transports carrying more then 7,000 foot for an expedition against an undisclosed French port of the Atlantic coast. The raid was finally intended against Rochefort but failed lamentably. On October 6, the expeditionary force, returned home with no tangible results.
In June 1759, the ship was part of the fleet of admiral sir Edward Hawke who blockaded the French fleet in Brest. In the course of the blockade the ship had to go home, having run on a rock when in pursuit of some French vessels. On July 2, the ship was part of the squadron of rear-admiral George Brydges Rodney who sailed from St. Helen's to destroy the flat-bottomed boats and the supplies which had been collected at Le Havre for the projected invasion of England. In the afternoon of Tuesday July 3, Rodney arrived in the bay of Le Havre and steered his fleet into the channel of Honfleur. On July 4 at sunrise Rodney began the bombardment of Le Havre and of the flat-bottomed boats. The bombardment lasted for 52 hours until July 6 at 8:00 AM and 1,900 shells and 1,150 carcasses were fired on the town. This attack totally destroyed any French preparations in this town for the invasion of England.
To do: campaigns from 1760 to 1763
Anonymous, A Complete History of the Present War, from its Commencement in 1756, to the End of the Campaign, 1760, London, 1761, pp. 227-232
Phillips, M., Ships of the Old Navy (a great website which seems to have disappeared from the web)
Wikipedia, "List of ships of the line of the Royal Navy"
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.