Origin and History
The regiment was raised at the end of 1747 as the Zülow Infantry Regiment with 150 NCOs and men drawn from the three garrison companies of the fortress of Dömitz. The regiment had an overall strength of 10 companies.
In 1748, the regiment was reduced to 7 companies because it contributed 3 companies to the newly raised Jensen Infantry Regiment.
In 1754, the regiment was renamed Alt-Zülow and counted 5 companies of 80 men. Each company had 12 grenadiers.
In 1756 the regiment received a grenadier company, bringing its total strength to 6 companies with 396 men fit for duty. The grenadier company served detached from the regiment to guard the ducal castles.
In 1760 the regiment was augmented to 8 companies.
During the Seven Years' War, the chef of the regiment was:
- from the end of 1747 to 1765: Major General Ferdinand von Zülow
In 1765 the regiment was disbanded and incorporated into the regiments Both and Glüer.
Service during the War
no information found yet
The original uniform of 1747 was slightly modified in 1759.
|Coat||dark blue in Prussian cut lined red with a single row of 6 tin buttons arranged 2-2-2
|Gaiters||black in winter, white in summer|
Officers wore a golden sash with a red and a blue stripes around the waist.
On October 16, 1756, Duke Christian Ludwig II advised, that each company of Alt-Zülow Infantry would carry a colour.
Note These tentative reconstructions of the colours of this regiment are based on textual descriptions. However, the cipher of Christian Ludwig II is copied from a coin dating from 1754. For the central shield, there were two possible interpretations: an oval shield (shown on a coin dating from 1764) and an escutcheon (shown on a medal dating from 1754). We chose to represent an oval shield.
Avancierfahne (colonel colour): white field; centre device consisting of the great coat of arms flanked by a black bull (left) and a golden griffin (right), standing on trophies on a green ground and surmounted by a golden ducal crown. On all 4 sides, the coat of arms was surrounded by grenades. The corner devices consisted of the crowned ducal cipher "CL" (Christian Ludwig II) surrounded by laurel branches with berries and tied with a blue ribbon. All decorations were painted in gold.
Retirierfahne (regimental colour): light blue field, otherwise as the Avancierfahne.
The illustrated colours were in use from 1748 to 1753.
Keubke, Erna und Klaus-Ulrich; Mumm, Ralf: Das Mecklenburger Militär und seine Uniformen 1701-1918, Schriften zur Geschichte Mecklenburgs, Band 15, Schwerin 2005
Voss, E. von: Beiträge zur Meklenburgischen Fahnenkunde, Jahrbücher des Vereins für Mecklenburgische Geschichte und Altertumskunde, Band 45 (1880), S. 291-314
- Schäfer, Ernst: Mecklenburgs Militärwesen vor und in den Freiheitskriegen: Vortrag, gehalten im Verein für Mecklenburgische Geschichte und Altertumskunde am 21. Oktober 1913, bei der Erinnerungsfeier an die Leipziger Schlacht; Vol. 80 (1915), pp. 97-114
Volker Scholz for the initial version of the article and Boris Brink for additional info on the origin and uniform of the regiment.