Origin and History
The regiment was formed in 1708-1709 when Peter the Great reorganised the Russian infantry regiments and renamed most of them as per a city or province of his empire.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was commanded by:
- no information found yet
Service during the War
In 1757, the regiment took part in the campaign in East Prussia under General Apraxin. On August 30, at the Battle of Gross-Jägersdorf, it was part of Browne's 3rd Division and belonged to Ivan Manteuffel's Brigade. When the Russian Army deployed, it was placed in the third line of the right wing.
In January 1758, 2 battalions of the regiment took part in the invasion of East Prussia. About mid November, the regiment took its winter-quarters in Dirschau (present-day Tczew) and Mewe (present-day Gniew) in Northern Poland.
On July 23 1759, the regiment took part in the Battle of Paltzig where it was attached to the 1st division commanded by Fermor. It was deployed in Sievers' Brigade on the right of the second line of the infantry centre. A few weeks later, on August 12, the regiment fought in the Battle of Kunersdorf where it was deployed in the first line of the centre 1st Division as part of Uvarov's Brigade.
To do: campaigns from 1760 to 1762
Most Russian regular line infantry regiments wore the same uniforms.
|Coat||dark green with 9 copper buttons on the right side on the chest and 9 red trimmed buttonholes, and 2 copper buttons (one on each side) in the small of the back|
N.B.: During summer campaigns, the coat was not worn, being left with the baggage. Soldiers carried a cornflower blue cape rolled over the shoulder. Since the waistcoat was red, Russian line infantry appeared to be entirely clad in red.
|Waistcoat||long sleeved red waistcoat lined green with 9 copper buttons and 9 red trimmed buttonholes, and with 2 en patte d'oie pockets each with 3 copper buttons and 3 red trimmed buttonholes|
|Gaiters||black leather with 10 large copper buttons (white for parade)|
During winter, line infantry wore knee-length cornflower blue cape.
Troopers were armed with a musket, a bayonet and a sabre.
NCOs wore the same uniform as the troopers but were distinguished by their gold laces on their tricorne, collar, and cuffs.
Most officers wore gold laced tricorne (gold/black pompons) but some officers wore a mitre.
Officer’s coat was similar to other rank’s but with a gold laced collar and lateral pockets closed by lapels en patte d’oie with 3 golden buttons each. Generally officers wore the coat with opened turnbacks. They also wore white cravates, green breeches and yellow gloves.
Officers carried a musket in action, the use of halberds and spontoons was abandoned.
Officers also carried a sword suspended to a red leather belt.
Officer’s cartridge box was edged in gold.
Officer’s saddlecloth and holsters were red with round posterior corner, edged with one or two gold stripes (the inner broader), as rank distinction. EPI ciphers on the corner and holsters.
Staff officers wore a black and gold sash.
Drummers wore the same uniform as the troopers with swallow nests on shoulders and braids on cuffs, pockets and collar.
Fifers wore the same uniform as the troopers with braids on cuffs, pockets and collar (no swallow nests on the shoulders).
The Drum Major had a gold edge on his tricorne, and gold braids on cuffs and collar.
Drums were made in copper, the regimental coat of arms engraved in the front, bordered in red and green, green and white cords.
Important notice: Even though our illustrations depict yellow laces, the colour of the braids on the uniforms of the musicians were chosen by the colonel. For instance, it could have been the distinctive colour of the regiment (shown on the ordonnance flag). They were often decorated with red “XXXX” in the middle.
N.B.: During summer campaigns, the green coat was not worn, being left with the baggage. Since the waistcoat was red, Russian line infantry musicians appeared to be entirely clad in red.
The flags measured 1,62 m. x 2,66 m., were fringed in gold and mounted on a 3,35 m. red wooden pole.
Colonel Colour: white field with, in its centre, an Imperial Eagle bearing the regimental arms on a breastplate encircled by the necklace of the St. George’s Order. In each corner, a yellow flame pointing at the centre.
Regimental Colours: red field, in its centre, a gold crown surmounting a gold shield bearing the regimental arms. In each corner, a yellow flame pointing at the centre.
Funcken, L. and F., Les uniformes de la guerre en dentelle
Konstam, Angus, and Bill Younghusband, Russian Army of the Seven Years War, Vol. 1, Osprey Men at Arms Series, No. 297, 1996
Pengel, R.D.; G.R. Hurt; Russian Uniforms and Flags of the Seven Years War, Birmingham 1980
Schirmer, Friedrich: Die Heere der kriegführenden Staaten 1756-1763, hrsg. von der KLIO-Landesgruppe Baden-Württemberg, überarb. u. aktual. Neuauflage 1989
Viskovatov, A. V., Historical Description of the Clothing and Arms of the Russian Army, vol. 3, Petersburg: 1900
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.
User:Carlo bessolo for the description of the uniforms