Hierarchical Path: Seven Years' War (Main Page) >> Navies >> British Navy >> Blenheim
Origin and History
The ship was originally built at Deptford Dockyard by John Shish and launched in May 1679 under the name of "HMS Duchess".
On 30 June 1690, during the Nine Years' War (1688-97), the ship took part in the Battle of Beachy Head. On 19 May 1692, she fought in the Battle of Barfleur.
The ship was successively renamed "HMS Princess Anne" in 1701, and "HMS Windsor Castle" in 1702, to receive her definitive name of "HMS Blenheim" on 18 December 1706 prior to her rebuild at Woolwich Dockyard between 1705 and 1709. She was relaunched on 15 April 1709.
In 1710 and 1711, during the War of the Spanish Succession (1701-13), the ship served with the Mediterranean Fleet.
From July 1715 to May 1716, the ship underwent major repair at Portsmouth.
From April to June 1740, the ship was fitted as an unarmed hospital ship at Portsmouth.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- from 10 July 1755: Lieutenant Cheney Hurt
- from 21 February 1757: Lieutenant John Facey
- from 2 January 1760 to October 1760: Lieutenant Edward Whitewood
The ship was broken up in September 1763.
Service during the War
The ship was used as an unarmed hospital ship.
|Guns||none since 1740|
|Crew||no information found|
|Length at gundeck||162 ft 2¾ in (49.46 m)|
|Width||47 ft 2½ in (14.40 m)|
|Depth||18 ft 10 in (5.49 m)|
|Displacement||1557 Tons (Builder's Old Measurement)|
Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy
Harrison, Simon and Manuel Blasco, Three Decks - Warships in the Age of Sail