Brunswick Jäger Corps
Origin and History
The unit was raised in 1759 with British subsidies. It initially consisted of a staff of 16 men and of 2 mounted and 3 foot brigades (coys) of 99 men. One of the foot brigade was armed with rifle.
In June 1762, the unit was reinforced and consisted of 3 mounted and 4 foot companies with a staff of 23 men for a total of 746 men.
The regimental artillery consisted of 2 amusettes (light guns) served by 13 men.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was commanded by:
- from 1759: von Hoym
The foot jägers were disbanded in 1763 while the mounted jägers were renamed “Light Dragoons”. They were finally disbanded in 1806.
Service during the War
During the war, the unit skirmished at countless small engagements like Oberelsungen, Butzbach, Beberbeck, Busdorf, Homberg, Amenburg, Oelper and Gruningen.
On July 10 1760, the corps took part in the Combat of Corbach where it was attached to the left column under Lieutenant-General Griffin.
|Waistcoat||dark green with pewter buttons (straw for mounted jägers)|
|Breeches||white (straw leather breeches for mounted jägers)|
The troopers of the 1st and 3rd brigades were armed with muskets while the 2nd brigade was armed with jäger rifles.
Other interpretations: Schirmer mentions yellow buttons.
Deutsche Uniformen, Bd. 1, Das Zeitalter Friedrich des Großen, 240 illustrations by Herbert Knötel d. J., with text and explanations by Dr. Martin Letzius, Sturm-Zigaretten GmbH, Dresden 1932
Ortenburg, Georg von: Braunschweigisches Militär, Elm Verlag, Cremlingen, 1987
Pengel & Hurt: German States in the Seven Years War 1740 to 1762, Imperial Press
Schirmer; Friedrich: Die Heere der kriegführenden Staaten 1756 - 1763. Edited and published by KLIO-Landesgruppe Baden-Württemberg e.V., Magstadt, 1989