Origin and History
not yet available
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- 1756: M. Marquezan
Service during the War
In 1756, the frigate participated to the amphibious expedition against Minorca. On May 20, she took part to the battle of Minorca against admiral Byng's squadron where a French fleet prevented him to bring reinforcement to Fort St. Philip de Mahon. In October and November of the same year, she escorted the 50 merchant ships ferrying 6 French infantry battalions from Toulon to Corsica. The commander of the expedition, the Marquis de Castries, travelled on board of the frigate.
In 1759, the frigate was part of the fleet assembled at Toulon under de la Clue which was destined to reinforce the main French fleet at Brest for the planned invasions of Great Britain. By mid May, de la Clue's squadron was almost ready for sea when a British squadron under the command of Boscawen, conducting operations in the Mediterranean, appeared off Toulon and blockaded the harbour. At the beginning of July, Boscawen was compelled to go to Gibraltar for provisions and repairs. On August 5, de la Clue set sail from Toulon to make a junction with de Conflans' fleet at Brest. On August 17, de la Clue's fleet (10 ships of the line, 2 50-gun ships and 3 frigates) passed the straits of Gibraltar where it was sighted by the Gibraltar (20). Alarmed, Boscawen set sail from Gibraltar to intercept de la Clue. During the night of August 17 to 18, this frigate along with 2 others of de la Clue's squadron lost sight of his flagship and steered for Cadiz. She did not take part in the disastrous battle of Lagos in the afternoon of August 18.
not yet available
Anonymous, A Complete History of the Present War, from its Commencement in 1756, to the End of the Campaign, 1760, London, 1761
Duc de Castries, Le Maréchal de Castries (1727-1800), Flammarion, 1956
Fortescue J. W., A History of the British Army Vol. II, MacMillan, London, 1899, pp. 291-295
Pajol, Charles P. V., Les Guerres sous Louis XV, vol. VI, Paris, 1891, pp. 3-19